AI straight line speed

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Simonk, Nov 14, 2022.

1. Simonk

Simonk Registered

Hi everyone. Is there a setting in the hdv file or somewhere else to adjust the AI straight line speed? I’ve adjusted aiperfusage so at 100% the AI cornering and braking is perfect but they leave me for dust on the straights.

2. redapg

redapg Registered

If you use the same Setup like the AI, the Difference in Speed is maybe caused by the AI using DRS (if the Cars have DRS) and you don't.
    But it can also be caused by different Size of Tires (tbc vs tgm), for Example.

3. Stockers

Stockers Registered

I've had issues with finding perfect values for aiperfusage. Would you mind sharing your values? With regards to the straight line speed there are a few things it could be as the above comment states. Adjusting the TBC I don't think is possible as that's in the main mas file if it's S397 content. Might be wrong. Maybe some setup changes.

4. Nicola59

Nicola59 Registered

Different speed between AI drivers and Human is a typical issue of any final Mod touch ( if Author is careful on AI driver performances ).
    When You get a correct car physics, with a realistic max speed for Human driver, then You can work around the AI max speed.
    Commonly, beside the fact that AI TBC tyres should have the same TGM size, as underlined well Chris above, You have to set well also the Rolling resistance of tyres, that in TBC file may be easily adjusted ( there is a specific value for front and rear tyres ).
    To test the max AI speed, as previously told, be sure that car has NO DRS effect ( for f1 cars ), that they are not using some imposed setup by Upgrades, and finally that the car gearing is correct ( sometimes, AI drivers result limited in speed because they are reaching , on TBC, the max speed allowed from the car gearing ).
    The engine gear ratio sometimes has to be adjusted for Human driver, before to test car max speed with AI drivers on a straight.
    Also the Rolling resistance of Human tyres, in TGM, may be tuned changing carefully the median value of this string
    BaseDamperPerUnitArea=(......., 1250, .....), that is the major factor influencing it ( the vertical damper ).
    Some other adjustment, eventually, may be set on this other TGM string
    HystereticVerticalDamperPerUnitArea=12000

Final suggestion: use a long track straight to test max speed.....Le Mans without chicanes is proper location for this work.

Emery likes this.
  5. Simonk

Simonk Registered

Thanks very much for your help guys. I had a look at the TGM and couldn't figure out the wheel size reference as there wasn't anything that obviously matched up with the TBC "rim size". I did work out though that I could change the default gearing so I added an extra "Final drive" line in the gears.ini, set it as the default ratio in the hdv file and then adjusted it accordingly in the ini file. It worked perfectly. Testing was done at Sebring which has decent long straight. Thanks for the "rolling resistance" note as I didn't see that in the TBC file so I might play around with that in future also.

6. Simonk

Simonk Registered

There's no "one size fits all" setting for aiperfusage as there's a number of variables that will affect the outcome. Aigripmulti in the TBC file can be used to adjust the amount of grip the AI have which affects cornering, braking and acceleration. The default setup will also affect these for the AI. Then there's the aiperfusage which also affects braking and cornering performance. It's a bit of a balancing act between all these to get it right. My work flow (which isn't necessarily correct because i'm new to this) is leave the car setup as is and only adjust it if I can't get it right with the TBC and aiperfusage settings. If the cornering value in aiperfusage is already at 100% and the AI still corner too slow, I bump up the aigripmulti in the TBC to give them more tyre grip. A side effect of this might be that they then understeer out of a corner so you then need to decrease the cornering value in aiperfusage so the AI don't push so hard. As an example, the classic GT car I'm working on has aiperfusage (0.90,0.90,0.89) aigripmulti 1.25, but these values will only work with the TGM files that have been tweaked for extra grip. For the braking parameters, it's just a matter of following an AI and seeing where they brake compared to you. If they brake later, then lower the first two values ( I have to admit I haven't worked out how yet how each value works on its own). Hope this helps. Happy to be corrected on any of this by someone more knowledgeable.

7. Emery

Emery Registered

The aigripmulti of 1.25 creates AI that are so glued down the player is assured of coming out the worse in any contact with AI. I suggest a valid target is no more than 1.06, certainly no more than 1.10, and fiddling with other parameters to make the AI work.

8. Simonk

Simonk Registered

T
    Thanks heaps for this bit of advice. I was noticing this issue and now know why. I’ve got it down to 1.10 which still works ok with some bumping together. Any lower and I couldn’t get their cornering speed fast enough

Emery likes this.