Wheel violent left-to-right movement in straigths

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by basil_fawlty, Nov 12, 2022.

1. basil_fawlty

basil_fawlty Registered

I'm no expert in how FFB works but something is working terribly oddly for me. Thrustmaster T248 (everyone stay away from it).

On fresh tyres (no flat spots) there is a constant left-to-right movement by the (physical) wheel which is so strong that if I let it go completely on the start-finish straight, the car will start to violently oscillate then spin.

What is possibly going on?

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Your FFB is reversed?

3. basil_fawlty

basil_fawlty Registered

It's set to minus 80-100% as required for TM.

It's also shaking while standing in and leaving the pit. It's less prominent with BMW GT3 but makes GTE unplayable.

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

What happens when you see it to positive strength? Perhaps add some minimum torque?

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I thought it was Logitech that needed the reverse FFB. I had the TS-PC, but I don't recall using reverse FFB on that.

6. basil_fawlty

basil_fawlty Registered

It becomes worse in positive. It's supposed to be negative.

Thank you anyway

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

what car? What are your full FFB settings? Try reducing the FFB Multiplier to 70% or so.

8. basil_fawlty

basil_fawlty Registered

It's really bad with GTE, somewhat better with Alpine and GT3.

Setting smoothing to around 15 and lowering strength improved it to a point that it's not shaking in pit, only on some straights. But this wheel is supposed to work at 2-3 smoothing.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Screenshot your calibration screen in game so we can see what you're using. Did you load a profile?

2-3 smoothing seems optimistic, my T500 is ok on 2 and that's belt driven - and at times, depending on the car and speed, can still get a bit rough.

Normally I'd guess you have your rotation too low, which helps set up an FFB feedback loop. But we'll need to see your settings, and the wheel settings would be good too (not sure how many there are for that wheel, but screenshot it anyway)

basil_fawlty likes this.
  10. basil_fawlty

basil_fawlty Registered

Thank you, that's brilliant.

The wheel was set to 360 rotation in the TM software. I noticed that I was quicker on some tracks because it helped me utilize the whole steering range (even if not realistic). I just set it to 540. It improved the situation a lot, I was able to increase strength back to 90-100 and lower smoothing to 0-3, while still getting good results (some wheel oscillation but it could be tyre condition or surface?).

At the same time, on a highly technical track like Bahrain, car handling got much better (no more mid-corner oversteer) and my lap time instantly a second faster.

I had no idea wheel rotation can effect FFB in such way.

11. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Low wheel-rotation is compressing the ffb-effects into a much smaller space, hence the over-activity resulting in oscillation. The over-shoot effect is inherent in ffb in general, it just becomes more prominent in such cases.