rF2 suddenly showing a frozen UI whilst driving

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Remco Majoor, Nov 12, 2022.

1. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

I am getting this more and more regularly now, and it's getting dangerous, so here is a bug report (please help)

When I am driving, sometimes rF2 suddenly changes to either the beginning UI, or the garage UI whilst driving. The physics and core game still keeps on running though. So it only shows it visibly. I can interact with the game in the background, the game interacts with my 25nm wheel (dangerous), and I can even escape back to pits, and click drive and it keeps showing the frozen frame.

In my trace log there are a shit ton of errors (from I think the moment is does this, can't confirm though)

Attached Files:

2. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

This time it completely minimized the game even

3. SLK

SLK Registered

Sounds somewhat similiar to my screen freezing issues I reported a month ago, where the game proceeds to run in the background after the screen turns idle. Are you using fullscreen or borderless window? Do you have an AMD graphics card utilizing their latest drivers? Does it happen on the same car/track combination and on the same spots on the track or just completely randomly?

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

For the little it's worth, I don't think those trace errors are related.

5. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

I am running fullscreen, with the latest AMD drivers. For now I have only had it with the Venwall on Bahrain today, but previously on different drivers I had it on different combos too

6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I have found that ONLY older drivers work without issues. At first you couldn't even get a track to load, but not random lockups seem common with the newer drivers. I am sticking with 22.5.1 for now. This is not just a rF2 issue, when searching for the older drivers I found posts from users of other games also complaining about similar issues with the new drivers.

7. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

IIRC I also had it with older drivers. Didn't have it in any other games though, not even in alphas

8. Matthias Weber

Matthias Weber Registered

I have the same problem, also need to revert back to an older AMD driver (using 21.12.1 right now). I'm running on a Radeon VII + Ryzen 7 1800X.
    As seen in the rfactor2 league cenral page on facebook there some others experiencing the same problem.
    Very easy to reproduce the screen freeze in the showroom while trying to paint a car. When reloading the skin it freezes in 75% of the time, only chance to kill the game via task manager.
    The only difference i can see directly: with the old driver, the overlay stays visible on "reload skin" and only the showroom dis- and reapperears. With the newer driver the whole image disappears and stays black. If you wait long enough, the overlay reappers but game stays freezed.

Remco Majoor likes this.
  9. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

If it's easier to reproduce, there might be a fix possible

10. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Any chance you have video of it happening?

11. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

not yet

12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Pretty much choose the most recent AMD driver and take the Vanwall to Bahrain. It did load for me but CTD back to Steam within a couple of laps. Since then I have reverted to 22.5.1 and been able to load the problem tracks like Laguna Seca and drive Bahrain without lockups.

13. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

It's such a shame the AMD drivers aren't up to scratch yet. It's the only thing that puts me off buying a AMD card. Especially considering the fiasco with the four into one power lead adapter melting the plug on the nvidia 4090 cards. AMD could get a lot of nvidia converts with their new cards if their drivers up to scratch.

14. David levis

David levis Registered

Same as you is what was happening to me,
    and seems solved reverting to old drivers as you

davehenrie likes this.
  15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The ONLY problem with this solution, is that some other games apparently run much better with the newer drivers. So there will be users that either have to continually swap drivers back & forth, or they give up one or the other title(s). Sure hope something can be figured out.

David levis likes this.