Blank Menu

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by The OG Reece, Nov 7, 2022.

1. The OG Reece

The OG Reece Registered

Hi Guys,

I'm getting an issue where the menu is blank! I've recently installed rfactor 2 again but I've got the attached situation. I've tried verifying the files alongside renaming my userdata folder and rerunning the prerequisite files. I'm on Windows 10 with the latest updates aswell.

SOLUTION:

1. Right click on rF2 in steam and go to properties then select beta's from the pop up window
    2. Change the dropdown to previous-release and complete the download then launch rF2
    3. You should hopefully see the UI!
    4. Follow steps 1 & 2 again but change it back to none to ensure you're on the latest version.
    5. You should still see the new UI!

If the above doesn't work then after completing steps 1,2 and 3 try and switch to release-candidate and launch the game before changing back to none.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
    delapecs and Shark like this.
  2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Try verifying the files in Steam before launching rF2.

3. The OG Reece

The OG Reece Registered

Thank you for your reply :)

I've verified my files and then started rF2 but I still have the same issue where the cars in the background will go by but none of the UI elements will show.

4. f333r

f333r Registered

registered to say the same thing. Also verified the the files twice. Also latest nvidia drivers. Also deleted user data in between verifications.

5. jlsthlm

jlsthlm Registered

I have the exact same issue. Read on Steam forum that it might have something to do with the wrong decimal separator that has to be (.) and not a comma (,)... that didn't help. Just installed the game and bought the Q4 2022 pack so would really like to be able to play it.

6. BrianK

BrianK Registered

I am having the same issue.

More info: I am working on a project for work that will use RF2 (lucky me). I have 2 identical computers - one at work and one at home. I installed on my work computer last week - no problem. I installed on my home computer today & am getting the same blank screen that the OP posted about. This was a fresh install, but to be sure, I uninstalled, deleted the RF2 directory from Steam, rebooted, then reinstalled... no luck.

I remoted into my work computer (same steam account) and am able to run RF2 without issue. It's only the new install that's having the problem.

Both of my computers are relatively new & run GeForce 3080s.

7. Francisco

Francisco Registered

Its same with me!! I dont see menu

8. RS-MAD

RS-MAD Registered

I have exact same problem , fresh install , tried all Steam checking and verification , all thing with comma separator .. nothing help .. I just see my name and settings. Nothing else on screen.

9. darkojovanoski1986

darkojovanoski1986 Registered

nothing helps. clean install of rfactor 2 when q4 dropped with new build. verifying files doesn`t help either. I waited whole day to play this build and now this...

10. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Is that from just launching the game? Or are you trying to join a server through a link?

11. darkojovanoski1986

darkojovanoski1986 Registered

just after launhing the game this happens. we can click to enter the menus but nothing is shown, only settings tab and where we can enter our name.

12. RS-MAD

RS-MAD Registered

Just launch game .. there is no menu to select race or multiplayer or whatever ... its just empty screen . only possible choice is your name and settings icon ..

13. Francisco

Francisco Registered

Sameā€¦

14. BrianK

BrianK Registered

I made a little progress on this issue...

The problem (for me anyway) is this file:

Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player\LocalStorage\Local Storage\leveldb\000003.log

If I copy that file over from my other computer, then I can launch on the new system & get the game menus. Unfortunately, if I delete the file and allow it to recreate, we come back to the same situation of no menus after launch.

If you have that file on a different computer, copy it over to your new system & you'll get game menus. If you don't have that file from an older install, you're SOL - it's a binary file, so not much you can do to edit it.

Looking at the working file in a hex editor, it contains what looks like all the menu data I would expect to see, but the non-working file doesn't contain any of the menu data. The working file is 7KB & the non-working file is 1KB.

Best of luck.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  15. f333r

f333r Registered

to add info, that's the screen after the "updating stuff" screen after loading the game

16. Shark

Shark Registered

Same here. Can edit my user name and the game settings, but no way to actually play the game!

17. The OG Reece

The OG Reece Registered

POTENTIAL SOLUTION (please test it first and let me know)

1. Right click on rF2 in steam and go to properties then select beta's from the pop up window
    2. Change the dropdown to previous-release and complete the download then launch rF2
    3. You should hopefully see the UI!
    4. Follow steps 1 & 2 again but change it back to none to ensure you're on the latest version.
    5. You should still see the new UI!

If the above doesn't work then after completing steps 1,2 and 3 try and switch to release-candidate and launch the game before changing back to none.

Shark likes this.
  18. Coutie

19. Coutie

Is this after your first time launching the game, or have you done it before?

20. The OG Reece

The OG Reece Registered

Is this in regards to the potential solution I've posted here? I've run it before.