Sparks are still causing stutters and small screen freezes [1130]

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Javibeza, Aug 30, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Javibeza

Javibeza Registered

Hi,

Bug Description: Sparks are still causing stutters specially at the beginning of the session. The stutters seems to be reduced after 2-3 laps but there are enough reasons to deactivate them as it's still very disturbing. We have reports of this effect in almost every driver in our league, as our F1 car hits the ground often.

My PC Specs:
    Intel Xeon E5-1630v3 (4-core)
    RAM 32GB DDR4
    Nvidia RTX 2060 6GB
    1080p

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Select a car that actually hits the ground and set Spa with Special effects to Ultra.
    2. Do some laps, see 0.2s screen freeze at Eau Rouge, and some stutters in other areas when the car makes sparks. See how next laps are smoother but not perfect.
    3. Set Special effects to low to disable sparks and repeat test to see that there are no more freezes.

Thanks. :)

DJCruicky likes this.
  2. pety100

pety100 Registered

Yeah I have the same problem. I don't understand. I even upgraded from ryzen 5 1600 to ryzen 5 3600 CPU and it's not better...or maybe a tiny bit better, but can't tell surely. I have an RTX 2060 videocard. I think this config should be enough for a little spark but I can't set special effects above low :(

3. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

AFAIK you should NEVER use special effects in ULTRA, only for screenshot purposes...

4. Javibeza

Javibeza Registered

Hi.

I'm still having issues with sparks. I know other drivers in our league are still needing to deactivate sparks due to stutters.
    Lowering graphics and setting special effects and post effects to medium does nothing.

Sparks are causing issues specially on the first laps (or first time they are triggered somewhere since you go to track).

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I believe the sparks are controlled only by the Special Effects settings. To turn off, try low, not medium.

6. Javibeza

Javibeza Registered

Sorry if I did'nt not explained myself correctly, but this bug report is to ask sparks to be fixed to work without stutters.
    Disabling it is not what I am asking for. Thanks.

Not playing rfactor2 is also a way of fixing stutters but this is not what I want. :D

Rui Santos and davehenrie like this.
  7. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

I've had a similar experience. Was talking to Marss about it on discord. He suggested physics heavy events may lock the thread. I tested the Ctrl-C meter and all looked good. Someone suggested replays so I turned them off. Then Javibeza suggested turning special effects to Low. I'm not 100% but I can't remember noticing another stutter since I did this. And yeah it is the same for me how it only happens in the first few laps.

8. Owen Pyrah

Owen Pyrah Registered

This quick video shows it happening after hitting the curbs on the first left hander.

Then this is the first flying lap. Where I'm actively trying to ram curbs to trigger it. I noticed sometimes at Oulton it'll go a couple laps. The only way to then repeat it is to Restart Weekend.

9. Javibeza

Javibeza Registered

Hi, in this video I show you how sparks are still not working right since they were added to the game.
    You can see that when the car hits the ground and sparks are generated the game freezes for some tenths of a second and the only way to avoid it is disabling sparks.
    My specs are obviuosly not the problem here.

If you can't spot the freeze set video speed to 0.25x. It's very disturbing when driving and entering corners. Please take a look to fix it!!!

pety100 and Manfredk2 like this.
  10. Javibeza

Javibeza Registered

Hi,

I've just done a clean fresh Windows and rF2 reinstall, updated everything to last drivers and this problem is still present.

I've recently upgraded some specs:
    Intel Xeon E5-2698v4 (20-core)
    RAM 128GB DDR4 2400
    Nvidia RTX 2060 6GB
    1080p

Am I the only one on this situation? What can I do? :-(

11. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Also have a lot of micro stutters... mine where barely noticeable. But I measured it, and it's present... frequent dips below 50fps (in my case.)
    I'll try if disabling spark... help with that... but I doubt it. (remember having dips... even with everything low)

One other thing I (also) noticed... is a big difference in performance between the first benchmark run... and the second one, after a restart of the race... some caching issue going on maybe.

12. Michael K.

Michael K. Registered

Wouldn't it have been better, to use only 32 GB RAM, that should be more than enough and a Graphic Card with 12 instead of 6 GB VRAM?

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You make it sound like moving RAM between components is possible :p (there are legitimate reasons to need more than 32GB, though rarely for gaming)

@Javibeza you've already identified the cause - it's not your specs, it's the game. Same for many (all?) other people.

Javibeza likes this.
  14. Michael K.

Michael K. Registered

You can understand many things in the wrong way, if you want to. :D
    More than 32 GB of RAM may be senseful, if you want to run some "RAM eating" programs at the same time, but if you do that, you should not wonder, if you get stuttering or similar effects in one of them.
    But 128 GB?
    And for todays video games, more vram is helpful in any case, i would say. ;)

15. Javibeza

Javibeza Registered

Yes, I would like to have more Vram and enough money to buy a 4080. :D
    But this is a post about a bug and not to talk about how much RAM do we need in a computer.:)

16. pety100

pety100 Registered

Any news about this bug? I even upgraded my PC to have sparks but I still can't use special effects above low or the game is stuttering :( I can't believe that a Ryzen 5 3600 and RTX2060 combination is not enough for this game to run special effects on medium at least.

17. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Just out of interest, what OS are you guys running? For me the stutters with sparks dissapeared when I moved from WIn7 to Win10.

18. Javibeza

Javibeza Registered

Windows 10

19. pety100

pety100 Registered

Windows 10 of course.

20. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest