Real life GT3/GT4/LMP traction control

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eRacer_, Oct 27, 2022.

1. eRacer_

eRacer_ Registered

Good morning, I'm watching racing videos and I was wondering 2 things:

1. What TC settings do racing cars use in real life?
    2. Does TC make you slow in game/is it worth it?

I play with no TC, and I'm wondering if what I'm doing does not match reality, and I'm making the game unnecessarily hard.
    Thx

2. Miquel Ramos

Miquel Ramos Registered

Absolutely, you should use these aids!, real cars use TC and these cars are designed to use it. TC make you slower if you uses too much, you should use just the minimum possible to rotate car and avoid lose of traction, level of TC depends of a lot of things. TC helps to avoid excessive wear on rear tyres, furthermore you can adapt your car to the state of track, more TC on wet track, less on grippy tracks with a lot of rubber, more TC when your tyres are died, less TC on qualification with fresh tyres....

Ricardo Diz likes this.
  3. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Maybe obvious for some but there are two kinds of TC. One that is independent of the car and implemented as a driving assistant for the game, and the simulation of the TC in the real car. You should disable the driving assistant help for more realism although it's there to help novice drivers.

The real TC in the car (the one in the setup screens for the car) is used in races, and it can be changed onboard depending on the situation because sometimes it will help and sometimes it will get in the way of what the driver wants to do. It depends on the situation and the driver. You shouldn't have any issue using it when you can (some online races have closed setups and don't allow it).

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
    pkelly likes this.
  4. Miquel Ramos

Miquel Ramos Registered

Right! Best way is deactivate any help (F1-F10) , maybe only auto clutch depending what car you want to simulate and your pedals.

ThomasJohansen likes this.
  5. eRacer_

eRacer_ Registered

Doing research I found this, from the real life Cayman 718 Manthey-Racing
    It's solid as a guideline.
    Edit: it's ABS not TC

[​IMG]

Ricardo Diz likes this.
  6. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Crank the TC up you’ll be slower out the corners as it holds you back.

turn it off completely and you’ll be slower out the corners as you’ll be trying to stop it from spinning.

Trick is, at least, how I do it, is to set the TC and ABS up so they kick in just as the car is going to slip/lock up. Gives you that safety net without hindering performance.

There’s people out there who are “I turn them off in a real driver” but they’ll only ever be slow. If anything the cars are designed to be run with it.

jayarrbee36, eRacer_ and Ricardo Diz like this.
  7. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

First you should find out if real car has TC and ABS options or not, then see if game has those options available or not. if game has the correct options the go for it.
    be aware of fake help assist though , like u have in rfactor 2. it is assigned to keybord keys F1,F2 ....and so on. they have separate page in settings/options menu as well , so u will easily find it. disable all of them.

Use in-car TC and ABS which u can tune in setup of car, they are adjustable onboard while driving too, so assign keys to them.

Using TC and ABS is absolutely faster, if u don't overdo it ofcourse. You can turn them off if u want as well. I like the added challenge so i turn it off, also more fun too this way....but this my personal choice.

eRacer_ likes this.
  8. eRacer_

eRacer_ Registered

Thank you for all responses, I'm transitioning from Gran Turismo and the difference in handling is overwhelming. I need to practice.