GTE off-throttle behaviour

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flaux, Oct 23, 2022.

1. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Hi everyone,

came back to rf2 and tried the GTEs at Nurb and Spa.

Somehow they rotate (oversteer) quite a lot off-throttle and I don't understand why. Is that a common issue? I can't get rid of it with any setup tweak and it is annoying.

I guess it got introduced with the last physics update for the GTEs?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
  2. TJones

TJones Registered

All GT/E's or only one/some specific?
    Generally you could try to reduce camber at the front or soften front dampers (compression, slow/high), increase diff preload.
    If it's mainly in the fast corners, reduce rear rideheight, and/or increase front rh, increase rearwing.
    it's also possible that you use to soften springs for Spa for example. In this case your car is more sensitive to rideheight changes, which result in less stable undertray aero, so more overstear into corner and more understeer at exit.
    I spend quite some time with the RSR over the last weeks, mainly at Sebring and now at LeMans. The RSR doesn't like positive (dynamic) rake much, you can quickly loose your rear into fast corners then. So best to hold it even or maybe a bit more front rh.

Flaux likes this.
  3. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Yeah, your last few sentences... that is what I felt with the RSR, 488 and C8R. Corner entry without holding a bit of throttle and the cars rotate into an strange oversteer as if it has to much engine brake and/or not enough coast diff. Both is not adjustable in the GTEs though. Anything else setup-wise doesn't get rid of it really. It just makes everything else worse.

I'm puzzled no one is talking about it. Is it something on my end? Allready checked that all aids are off. Lol, you never know. ;-)

4. Comante

Comante Registered

Maybe you should simply not lift into the corner.

Flaux likes this.
  5. Miquel Ramos

Miquel Ramos Registered

That's is typical in these cars, with skills you should keep some throttle while casting, but you can help with some change in the setup. Obviously differential have a big impact, but ride height or dampers too. You should avoid a fast transfer of weight from rear to front, maybe stiffer suspension, stiffer dampers

Flaux likes this.
  6. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Okay, if that's the case I'm good with it. I just found it strange to believe these cars handle like that and before the update they handled quite different iirc.

At times I thought they turned off the chassiflex feature, because it felt that different...

Thanks for the input guys and as I said, it is annoying, but nothing I can't work around while driving.

7. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Stiffer front anti rollbars and/ or rear springs and/or softer rear anti rollbars and rear springs are the easiest way to avoid oversteering.
    The new tyres need more temperature to work properly so you have to be more carefully for the first laps.

Flaux likes this.
  8. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

before the update they were not as harsh due to too forgiving tyres, now that tyres are bit realistic you feel the pitch sensitivity of these cars.
    it is strange that these cars should be more tame than old cars because aero is now corrected, personally i don't find it that troubling infact it is very useful to go fast.
    some easy fix i can suggest >
    (I also suggest go by following order.)
    stiffer front slow bump, lower rear height , stiffer front spring, more diff preload, utilise front bumpstop, higher wing.

pkelly and Flaux like this.
  9. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Thanks Andregee and Simulation_Player!

Simulation_Player likes this.
  10. Gio Nuvoli

Gio Nuvoli Registered

You can also play a little with front packers, if you reduce the travel of the suspension the front get stiffer on load and the rear will be less prone to rotate. 12mm, 14mm who knows...

TJones likes this.
  11. FordGT40

FordGT40 Registered

Maybe the engine braking is too strong or the engine inertia is too low enough to make it rotate while letting off?

12. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

iirc the porsche rsr has some engine inertia issue or something like that, this is why it is impossible to burnout this car. but ferrari 488 gte can do some burnouts nothing too wild but reasonable.
    GTE and GT3 cars are quite pitch sensitive, aero balance shift quite forward especially during braking. thats key thing to set up these car around.
    with motec it is quite easy to get that sorted, even with feel it can get sorted tbh, setup wise these cars are not that complex.

FordGT40 likes this.