Released October Release Candidate Now Live!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Oct 17, 2022.

1. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

CeeBee likes this.
  2. Danny Vincent

Danny Vincent Registered

Everything I tested was at the same track, the offical S397 Spa. Only issues I had were with the Ligiers. However it seems like its a known issue so fingers crossed thats nailed for the release.

On a positive note, I had a test race with the GTEs against the AI and the improvement in AI behaviour was night and day! Had an absolute blast. With the recent updates to the UI, graphics, sounds, tyres and AI, I can see myself spending a lot more time in rF2. Thank you to the Studio397 staff for the effort being put into improving this sim, long may it continue.

3. Pales

Pales Registered

This is what we need to push for next, it is the last major issue that is outstanding for the AI. @Devin, are you able to work your magic for this as well? :)

The interesting thing is, we know that the AI are capable of overtaking, they always anticipate the car in front and pull out if they're a faster class but on straights, they just seem to get 'stuck'

4. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

Previously someone else had this issue and the modifications they had made to the PLR file were causing it. I don't know if that is the case here or not.

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I replaced my player.json with a clean one, and saw problems like @CeeBee at that last turn on most laps. It appears the car has trouble with the bumps combined with rear downforce issues. Perhaps too stiff a setup? I'm not sure, Many cars in a group would transit cleanly, while only 2 or 3 running together could cause problems. So there isn't an easy reason why some cars lose traction. (like overcrowding) The problems occur when the AI tries to recover from a rear slide and ends up forcing their way back to the racing line before the line of travel is fully resolved causing congestion slowdowns or collisions. Cars further back tend to arrive without 'seeing' the carnage in front early enough.
    RC v1131, 31 AI cars. The M4 Class 1 is also subject to those garage setup problems after loading a different setup.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
    CeeBee likes this.
  6. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

Hi, Im not surewhat a PLR file is even? But pretty much not edited anything.

7. sk8

sk8 Registered

Validating files fixed some bugs but still got a loss of some audio after 12 minutes racing in legacy car. Ai were excellent in my experience with USF2000 at Brands. Ai were set to match my lap times and provided exciting unpredictable defense and attack. Spot on!

Emery and memoNo1 like this.
  8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

In the UserData folder are several other folders, one of them is the Player folder. This includes .json files that control much of rF2.(a .json file is some sort of alternate text file. The same apps that read/edit txt files can do the same with.json files)
    So inside that Player folder is a file called PLAYER.json. (or plr file for short) You absolutely do not ever need to edit this and other .json files(like controller.json) unless you want to. The files contain dozens if not hundreds of lines of text that alter/enhance/speedup etc the main program. Often if users have a problem where rF2 won't load, we will suggest renaming the player.json file to something different, i.e. player.jXXXson. Then rF2 will build a fresh version to hopefully eliminate a corrupt line that may be preventing the sim from running correctly.
    There are so many possible edits that the sim can sometimes scramble them up and a user may see very confusing behavior from cars controlled by the computer(AI).
    Here Endeth the Lesson.

Mark Lloyd and Eric Rowland like this.
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

PLR is an old school reference to the player.json (used to be player.PLR). There are a bunch of "AI Tweaks" that have become popular, but which may interfere with the AI in some situations and perhaps moreso with the AI changes present in the RC.

10. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

No edits , but, I reset it for kicks anyhow and tested, and can confirm, the AI still smash each other at Sebring.

upload_2022-10-20_18-42-24.png

memoNo1 and davehenrie like this.
  11. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

Ok thanks

memoNo1 and mixer61 like this.
  12. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Tried Mini Cooper S at Monte Carlo 66.... do they lose their minds for anyone else? Crashing into walls like robots and ending up in follow my leader trains?

13. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Thank you for finally addressing the long term core issues in the sim. I hope you continue prioritizing fixing the issues repeatedly raised by the community in this forum.

Eric Rowland and memoNo1 like this.
  14. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

Hi
    I thought that would make a great combo, but by the 2nd or 3rd lap in practice session the main straight has a group of mini's going forward into the wall, reversing into other wall than repeating. It was like trying to drive thru a derby without getting hit lol.

Regards

15. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Ah not just me then. AI seems a bit more "accident prone" in this RC.

16. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I think it's normal, they're learning to drive again in the new way, it takes time :D

17. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

18. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

Hi.
    Actually no, this happened with me soon as the mini was released, probably the pit issue @Manfredk2 mentioned.
    I didn't know there was a fix, will have to try it out.

Regards.

19. bhendrik

bhendrik Registered

Thanks for this RC. Still to improve on AI
    - When it get's dark. the ai loses pace. Endurance races at night are not much fun when you set au to match your pace, but when it get's dark they loose 3 -6 seconds per lap at night. That's an immersion killer and does not belong in a Sim
    - (official) ai still spin out on (official) tracks like the LMP2 at Spa when they try to overtake the slower LMP3 or GTE cars at different corners, especially at Les Combes.

20. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

Tried a few cars now and happily this issue of them smashing each other at the ,last turn seems limited ot the BMW M4 Class1 , bug in the car not the track or AI i think.
    The bTCC are fun at that track and its SO GOOD not to have them baaahpbaahpbaaahp past you tapping breaks all the time.

McKiernan likes this.