Stopping game from "updating content" every time on launch?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by schmaldeo, Oct 16, 2022.

1. schmaldeo

schmaldeo Registered

I reinstalled the game and now every time on launch it tries to install many cars and tracks (a total of around 300 items, even though i dont own them on Steam), saying that "X requires an unknown base mod to be installed". That makes me have many folders of the same cars and tracks that i can't even use and wait around 15 minutes on every game launch. Is there a way to stop this behaviour? I already reinstalled Steam, and clean-installed rF2.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
  2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The X requires an unknown base mod is reference to a mod that you, at some point, used, often when online racing on a server with custom cars or tracks. The car or track probably has been updated at some point after you used it and now rF2 can't match the updated car version # with the version the mod wants to use. Try using mod manager to identify the mod and then delete it. You can reduce the download size by deleting installed car & track mods from the packages screen and also deleting 3rd party mods/cars/tracks from the workshop. Once things are working properly, you can add back content you still wish to use. Again, as with almost EVERY troubleshooting thread, removing and re-installing rF2 via steam rarely fixes things, often a waste of time.

3. schmaldeo

schmaldeo Registered

I've actually already uninstalled and removed all locations and vehicles in modmgr as well as got a new UserData folder, yet the problem still consists - on every launch game downloads DLC content that i dont know (which makes folders in Installed, cant see in ModMgr/ingame content manager).

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

It is loading the stock content that comes with the game.

5. schmaldeo

schmaldeo Registered

No, it's loading cars like BMW M6 GT3 or McLaren 650S GT3 even though i don't own them on every launch clogging my SSD and making me have to wait for 10-15 minutes before i can even play.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@schmaldeo try unsubscribing from everything on steam workshop and start again. You may have something(s) that rely on versions not present.

7. schmaldeo

schmaldeo Registered

I actually already unsubscribed from everything as well as removed all cars and locations in ModMgr.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Might be worth checking the workshop folder, might have junk in there... ?

schmaldeo likes this.
  9. schmaldeo

schmaldeo Registered

Where do i find that?

10. schmaldeo

schmaldeo Registered

Feels like Steam just somehow thinks i bought the DLCs even though i didn't?

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, seen that before, right now I can't find the threads or think of what the 'normal' fixes are.

The workshop folder is in steam - steam\steamapps\workshop\content\365960 (that's rF2). You might have DLC folders in there that steam can't/won't remove because you don't own the DLC. Used to happen more when you could get to the DLC pages on the workshop and sometimes subscribe to them, but then they don't work because they're not owned.

If you remove everything there you'll redownload all content again if you verify files in steam. Though if you've unsubscribed to everything you won't download anything, in theory.

(If I'm not mistaken, the game looks for content to install from there; so if you're getting installation errors on startup, that should be where the files are getting pulled from)

schmaldeo likes this.
  12. schmaldeo

schmaldeo Registered

So i verified file integrity, it said all files successfully verified and now it started downloading 85.5 GB of something. Let's see what happens when it's downloaded but afair when i removed all workshop mods it downloaded files of p much same size so it doesn't look too good for now :/ [​IMG]

13. Kevin van Dooren

Kevin van Dooren Registered

How did you unsubscribe from everything?
    It seems like that didnt work.

14. schmaldeo

schmaldeo Registered

Actually that's true, i was still somehow subscribed to some content, now i unsubscribed from everything, removed all files inside of the workshop folder but whenever i open the game it still installs content i dont own:
    [​IMG]

15. schmaldeo

schmaldeo Registered

So to quickly summarise the steps i've taken so far:
    -reinstalling steam and rF2
    -unsubscribing from all workshop mods
    -uninstalling and removing all Car and Location content in ModMgr
    -clearing all of the workshop folders
    -clearing userdata folder
    -deleting all folders in Installed\Locations and Installed\Cars as well as all files in Packages
    -clearing Steam's download cache
    Yet the problem still seems to persist just in a different way (this time around it's updating workshop items which i can actually skip rather than having to wait 15 minutes until i can do anything but can't really treat it as a fix because probably as soon as this is done i'd be back to the old unskippable downloading)

16. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Did you buy anything, or did it just happen when you first started the game?

17. schmaldeo

schmaldeo Registered

I didnt buy anything, it just happened randomly after i havent played it for some time. Only content i bought is M4 GT3 but it was already a long time ago and it worked just fine earlier.

18. schmaldeo

schmaldeo Registered

Ah forgot to mention i did that already as well

19. schmaldeo

schmaldeo Registered

clearly there's nothing in here [​IMG]
    i just deleted all the files related to rF2. Now Steam downloads 64.8GB. Ig we'll see what happens next

20. schmaldeo

schmaldeo Registered

And i'm back to the previous issue [​IMG]