New monitor issue

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by "Phil", Oct 14, 2022.

1. "Phil"

"Phil" Registered

I've just added a second monitor to my system and rF2 will not start now. It kicks out as it begins loading. I've validated files and it made some corrections but it still will not start. Configuration page shows only
    one monitor. Any thoughts on what to do next?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think running on the non-primary display doesn't work, since a year or two ago at least. Maybe you can play with the windows monitor settings and see if anything changes.

I think the config file that gets written is the only factor in adapting to a new configuration, but I'd try renaming the Userdata folder and trying again just to see if that helps (no need to verify files again immediately, the only thing missing will be default wheel profiles and you can worry about that later if you get it working).

What's your GPU, existing screen, new screen, and how are you setting them up in windows?

3. "Phil"

"Phil" Registered

Hey Lazza, I have managed to get program started by renaming the config files in Userdata. Graphics page shows only one monitor and that is limited to 1920x1080. I would like to use 2560x1440. My GPU is a 2070super; old monitor is a 1080p in HDMI; new monitor is 1440p in DP. I set monitors in Windows to duplicate displays and this appears normal. Nvidia control panel shows both monitors.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Duplicate displays? Or extend display? You can put different things on the two screens, right?

5. "Phil"

"Phil" Registered

I'm using just one monitor for rF2 so I set them to duplicate. I don't need an extended view. Am I wrong about what these settings do?

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Duplicate shows exactly the same thing on both screens. Seems quite possible to me if your primary screen (or just the one windows decides to treat as primary at the time) is the lower resolution, the second screen will just show the same thing but scaled to its size - so you get the same resolution (as the primary). The game can only see one screen because you only have 'one screen' (just shown in two places).

What's your desired usage? If you're using programs in windows and want to use both screens (for extra space, easier to see two things at once, comparing items, editing one side with the other as a reference) then you want to Extend while you're doing that.

If you want to have that second screen as your gaming screen, and only be using that screen, you can make windows show only that screen.

Press Windows + P on your keyboard to bring up the 'Project' sidebar in windows, then you can easily switch between modes. If you choose "Second screen only" you should only get your bigger screen active. You'll have to experiment to see if rF2 is happy with that though - I know people with 2 active screens have recently had some issues getting the game to run on the non-primary one. So you may need to play with setting the bigger screen as the primary, easier to do if you're going to always have both connected.

7. "Phil"

"Phil" Registered

I have a clearer understanding what I need to try. I now have the resolution where it should be and refresh rate is at 120 hz and that may be where it needs to stay. Thanks for all the feedback.