Game only starts if installed on C: drive

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Gonzo46, Oct 3, 2022.

1. Gonzo46

Gonzo46 Registered

Uninstalled from C:
    Did a new install on N:

Steam Local files points to N:\Games Installed\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\rFactor 2
    But it shows only 3.8GB, shouldn't workshop items also be included there?

No \locations
    Only one vehicle in \Vehicles (CorvetteC6_PC)

Bunch of files in:
    N:\Games Installed\SteamLibrary\steamapps\workshop\content\365960
    Guessing it's the cars and tracks since the steam nr "365960" matches RF2.

coreshader.mas is in \rFactor 2\Core\Shared

Attached Files:

2. redapg

redapg Registered

That looks good.
    I mean it looks good, because we seem to have the Problem here.
    If no Content gets installed, the Game can not load something and in Combination with the Fact that the coreshaders.mas File is where it has to be, i'm pretty sure that the Problem is something with Windows User Rights.
    Unfortunately (fortunately for me :)), i have no Experience with such a Situation, because i set up my Windows in a Way, to avoid such Things happening.
    Can you try the following please?
    Create a Shortcut to the rFactor2.exe in the Bin64 Folder.
    In the Target Field use:
    "N:\Games Installed\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Bin64\rFactor2.exe" +workshopsync +trace=2
    and in the Field execute in use:
    "N:\Games Installed\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\rFactor 2"
    Save the Changes.
    Now start Steam as an Administrator again and then rightclick on the new Shortcut to the rFactor2.exe and also select "Run as an Administrator".
    You probably will get a small uppopping Screen from Steam, where you have to confirm that you want to start the Game with the shown Options.
    Confirm it and see what happens then.
    Hopefully that already solves the Problem.
    If not close rFactor 2 and Steam and delete all Subfolders in the Folder
    ..\steamapps\workshop\content\365960
    Then start Steam and rFactor 2, both as an Administrator again.
    Report what happened and if it still don't starts, check again if the Content was installed.

3. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Have you run the game since install? There is nothing there because it hasn't downloaded and unpacked content.

4. redapg

redapg Registered

I have already said that there is no Content installed, but it was downloaded.

5. Gonzo46

Gonzo46 Registered

Absolutely nothing happened in both cases... After deleting all subfolder as you suggested it did not install anything, folder remained empty...

Attached Files:

6. redapg

redapg Registered

Do you run Steam and rFactor 2 as an Administrator?
    It is strange that you always have the Error to open the coreshaders.mas File.
    Can you please test something and extract THIS zip File into the Folder ..\rFactor 2?
    It contains the Track Loch Drummond and the Dallara DW12, that should be in the Installed\Locations and \Vehicles Folder afterwards.
    And it's just to try out if the Game starts with that.
    If that doesn't change anything, please go to the Workshop and subscribe to a Track or Car to that you aren't subscribed already.
    Does that get installed?
    If you make a Steam Integrity Check of the N:\...Steam rFactor 2 Installation, do you get Errors?
    And please check the Windows User Rights for the N:\...Steam Installation Folder, that the User that you use, has full Rights for all Folders/Subfolders.

7. Gonzo46

Gonzo46 Registered

I'll try tomorrow. Checked RF2 integrity bunch of times... no errors from steam.

All users have full access (I changed that in the beginning of this now very long process), so Authenticated Users, SYSTEM, Administrators and Users all have full control. The only thing not ticked off at all is special permissions, meaning no allow or deny on that one.

8. trichens

trichens Registered

I assume that you have other Steam games installed on the N: drive library too?
    And that those all work OK?

9. Gonzo46

Gonzo46 Registered

Yes, only RF2 that is causing problems.

10. redapg

redapg Registered

@Gonzo46 If you have made what i suggested above and that didn't help, do the Following.
    You somewhere did mention, that you use dual Boot and can boot Windows 7 and there you can run rFactor 2 when it's installed on N:\, is that correct?
    If yes, do that and get it running on Windows 7.
    If it runs there, boot Windows 10 and check if you can see the Tracks and Cars being installed.
    Then, before you start the Game, rename the Folder ..\rFactor 2\UserData into UserData_Win7 for Example.
    Then start Steam and rFactor 2, both as Admin again.
    BTW Would you allow to join your Computer by Teamviewer?

11. Gonzo46

Gonzo46 Registered

Tried your files, tried downloading new workshop items, same result. You would think that there would be an .ini file where you could go in and just point steam in the right direction, but I haven't found anything like that. It's also very strange that the file validation says everything is A-OK. ¨
    The windows 7 thing was before I realized that the issue with the game was the drive location, In win7 I had it on C: drive. Uninstalled it since then... Starting to think that this issue can not be solved... Also, don't understand why you have an official bug report forum if no one from the studio 397 actually responds to your issue, or have I misunderstood the whole concept?
    What is teamviewer...ok, looked it up, is it trustworthy?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
  12. redapg

redapg Registered

In the Internet nothing is trustworthy. ;)
    But let us try something else, we can come back to it later.
    Just to try it out, i tried to give my Drive G, where Steam and rFactor 2 is installed, the Drive Letter N and it worked.
    Also in Steam rFactor 2 is linked to N and when i click on a Button in Steam, to open the Folder of the local Files, the correct Folder gets opened.
    But i can not start it anymore.
    The Question now is, do you maybe have a Drive/Partition, where it doesn't matters which Letter it uses, that currently has the Letter D,E,F,G?
    Maybe a DVD Drive or a HDD/SSD with Data only.
    The Idea is, to use one of the above Letters, for the Drive that has the Letter N now, where i can confirm that it at least works with the Letter G as the "highest".
    Do you think you can manage that?

13. Gonzo46

Gonzo46 Registered

If I change my drive letter my entire game library is fucked. I changed the drive letter and tried to point steam to the installed games folder, (storage manager in steam) but it just creates a second steam install without looking through the drive for the already installed games. I also have Origin game installed there and some games that are not connected to any game stores. Why the fuck is everything so complicated... Should be "hello Steam (and Origin and so on), look for previously installed games on this drive...
    As I see it now, I'll have to move all my installations to a temporary drive, change the drive letter, and then move all of them back... and I don't know how to do it with the games that are not connected to a game store. I'm sure that if I move them or change the drive letter of the drive it will fuck up something in Windows registry and they will become unplayable.
    As for Steam, I could backup the whole thing and then restore it (actually not sure if I can assign the backup to be restored to the new drive letter). I will think about it but it is a hell of lot of work just to get one game working... But I think you might be on to something with the drive letter issue... that's probably the cause and solution to the problem.

14. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Because you know about Windows registry, could you have a look at this path and see if yours says the correct drive letter.
    upload_2022-10-9_3-40-45.png

The rFactor name appears in many parts of the registry when using the search option. I'm not saying you should be messing with these settings, it's just for curiosity.
    I trust nothing is getting blocked with your Virus checker?

15. redapg

redapg Registered

@Gonzo46 You should only have changed the Drive Letter without to try to point Steam to it.
    As i did say, Windows/Steam is doing that "automatically", when you, after you did change the Drive letter, check the Installation Path in Steam.
    You normally only have to change the Shortcut Entries in the Properties of the Shortcut with that you start Steam.
    And it normally should be the same with the not Steam Games, where you also have to adapt the Pathes to the new Drive Letter, in the Shortcuts with that you start them.
    But i agree, in Steam it's unnecessary complicated and that is only one of the Reasons why i really don't like Steam.
    I can only offer to try to help, to get everything running now (Teamviewer).
    But if you agree to it, please open a private Conversation with me.

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Gonzo46 and don't worry about Teamviewer - you can trust it as much as you trust the person you're letting connect to your PC. If you get a phone call or email asking you to run Teamviewer to fix errors in your PC (often "from microsoft") do NOT do it. @redapg you can trust :D

redapg likes this.
  17. Gonzo46

Gonzo46 Registered

If I change the shortcut of RF2 then Steam wants to reinstall the game... Did not start steam at all, just started the RF2 shortcut, that starts steam (as expected) and then I got the Install promt... When I change the drive letter, Steam thinks I have no games installed at all. My Steam library is empty (installed games that is). If I change the drive letter back to N: everything returns to "normal". Since steam can't see the games I when I change drive letter (to D: ) I can't check the installation path in steam because there is none...

Attached Files:

18. Gonzo46

Gonzo46 Registered

Nothing is blocked. But there is no rfactor2 folder under classes_root. See screenshot for what I get when I search the registry.

Attached Files:

19. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

I have two suggestions which may help.
    (1) Rename the Steam Library folder to just Steam.
    (2) Have Steam as a stand alone folder on your N drive instead of in your games installed folder.
    To create your shortcut.
    (1) Open rF2 folder.
    (2) Open Bin64 folder.
    (3) Right click rFactor2.exe
    (4) Click Create shortcut.
    (5) Drag the the created copy to your desktop.
    This is my folder path which may be of help for reference H:\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2. Change H to N for your situation.
    I've been running this config for two yrs without problems.
    Hope this may be of help.

20. Gonzo46

Gonzo46 Registered

Thanks for all your help everybody, but especially redapg. Nice to know there is a super supportive community for RF2 (can't say the same for the devs). I've decided that I'll move my RF2 install back to the C: drive for the time being. When I can afford to buy another SSD I'll probably move it to there, but I also have to buy a HD cabinet for one of my internal non SSD drives because I have no free sata connectors on my motherboard (I have 6 internal drives and 10 external... I know, I'm a bit nuts).

I think that redapg is on to something with the drive letter issue, or it might be that I don't have "Steam" in the root of the drive, as Highlandwalker suggested. But with Steam (the main program) installed on C: from the beginning and the games (not only Steam) installed on N: it's just way too big of a hassle to start moving things around and messing with the the drive letter and folder paths, or reinstalling every game I got on there. Guess there is a lesson here for my next computer build (when prices go back to somewhat normal on computer parts, if ever... I'm on a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz and a GTX 1060 6GB, they are getting a bit long in the tooth). But again, huge thank you to all of you. I really appreciate all your help. Cheers. /David

redapg likes this.