Game only starts if installed on C: drive

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Gonzo46, Oct 3, 2022.

1. Gonzo46

Gonzo46 Registered

I've had so many issues with this, (previous post: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/game-wont-launch-solved-sort-of-at-least.72712/), so after those hassles I installed the game on the C:drive. The reason I don't want to do that is because it's a rather small SSD, only 500GB and I install all my games on another bigger SSD. All my other steam games are on that one and I have had no issue with any of them. But RF2 refuses to launch unless it's installed on the main C: drive.

I gave all users admin rights to the hard drive folder that I wish to install the game on (read somewhere that that might be the issue), I then moved the installation location within steam but it still won't start properly. Got "+path+" " +workshopsync"-loop a couple of times and then I got the message that my save file is not found and if I continue I might lose all previous progress...

Moved the game back to C: (inside steam, local files/move install folder) and voila, the game starts as it supposed to. Could the devs please have a look at this issue?

Regards,

/David

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Mine is on a different drive than C, and has always worked. Did you install it on C and move it to a different drive before, or did you install it on that drive?

3. Gonzo46

Gonzo46 Registered

I tried both clean install on the non C drive and moving the install from C drive to the game ssd. Neither worked.

4. redapg

redapg Registered

@Gonzo46 How do you start the Game?
    When it was on another HDD/SSD, did you try to start it by a Shortcut and not from Steam?
    I have it on my G SSD and it works properly.

EDIT And did you "tell" Steam, that you use another Installation Folder than C:\...

5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Unless you made a Steam library on the new drive... I think Steam doesn't know.

6. Gonzo46

Gonzo46 Registered

I think I tried to launch it by a shortcut. Don't understand what you mean by "tell" Steam. Since I installed it the first time from steam to the "N:" SSD were I have installed all my other Steam Games. That's why I don't understand the issue, since all other steam games work. I've unistalled the game and installed it on my C: drive and it works, then I tried to move the install to "N" drive (in steam), verified all the files and everything seems fine but the game won't launch. Then I moved it again from "N" drive back to C: and again, it works.

7. redapg

redapg Registered

With "tell Steam..." i have meant an additional Steam Library, that can be defined to use different Steam Game Libraries on the same Machine (@Woodee has also mentioned that).
    The whole Thing sounds a bit strange, because i and also Others have rF2 installed on another Drive than C:\ and have no Problems.
    And in the trace File, that you did upload in the other Thread, there was a kind of Indicator that the Path is not the Problem, because the Tire File was found and the Plugins where loaded.
    What looks like a Windows User Access Problem, is, that the player.tmp File wasn't saved as a player.JSON File (at least when i understand the Entry Retcode: 0 for renaming.... correctly) and also the last Entry, where the coreshader.mas File can not be opened, goes into the same Direction.
    And that there is only 1 Line "Add tire brand:...." for the Safety Car, let it look as if there was no Content installed.
    Such Things are always hard to jugde, without to have Access to the Computer where they happen.

I forgot: also that you say that the Installation on N:\ can be used in Windows 7, indicates that there might be a Windows User Access Problem in Windows 10.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@redapg renaming returning 0 is correct (programs return 0 on exit to indicate no error; an error would have a non-zero code, to identify the error). But +1 to everything else you said - something isn't right.

redapg likes this.
  9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

It is also best practice that once you have a Steam library (check Steam preferences on how to do this) on a new drive that you use the "move install" feature of Steam, rather than moving the install files yourself.

Emery likes this.
  10. Gonzo46

Gonzo46 Registered

That's what I did.

11. Woodee

Woodee Registered

ok

12. redapg

redapg Registered

@Gonzo46 If you would give it another Try, with installing it on Drive N:\, we maybe get it running with the common Help from different Users here.

13. Gonzo46

Gonzo46 Registered

What modified properties should I add?

14. Gonzo46

Gonzo46 Registered

Ok, will give it another go. What trace should I add in steam? Seen everything from 3 to 100...

15. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

2 is the highest.

16. Gonzo46

Gonzo46 Registered

Ok, so now I'm totally confused. The game doesn't even give me a trace log file... Uninstalled and re-installer to N: drive. The game is stuck on an infinite loop when trying to launch. I also tried the shortcut test Mangoletsi suggested... same result. Took screenshots of the happenings. Can add that the windows prompt "do you want this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device?".... pops up between every steam prompt. Screenshot 234431 is the first prompt, the it keeps adding and repeating until 234909, which is the last before I get the save game error prompt. Screenshot 23718 is from when I tried to launch from the modified shortcut. Nothing happens until I click on the preparing to launch box, then it goes to steam and the same thing happens as when I try to launch it from steam...

The workshop items are in
    N:\Games Installed\SteamLibrary\steamapps\workshop\content\365960

The game files are in:
    N:\Games Installed\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\rFactor 2

The steam app is installed (as it was from the beginning) at:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam

Attached Files:

17. Gonzo46

Gonzo46 Registered

Shortcut, Target:"N:\Games Installed\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Bin64\rFactor2.exe"
    Start in: "N:\Games Installed\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\rFactor 2"

18. redapg

redapg Registered

@Gonzo46 I suppose that you start Steam by using a Shortcut in the Windows Start Menu, right?
    If you do it, rightclick on the Shortcut and select "Run as an Administrator".
    Then add the +trace=2 to the Start Options for rF2 and start rF2 directly in Steam.
    Report what happens and upload the trace File again.

19. Gonzo46

Gonzo46 Registered

Ok, did that... with steam start as admin it's back to the original problem... press start, start button goes from green to blue (starting) and then back to green again in a few seconds... Trace file written at least...

Attached Files:

redapg likes this.
  20. redapg

redapg Registered

OK, do you have Content in the Folders
    ..\rFactor 2\Installed\Locations
    and
    ..\rFactor 2\Installed\Vehicles
    ?
    And what did you do this Time, did you again install the whole Game to Drive N:\ or did you move the Installation from C:\ to N:\ ?
    And in Steam, if you rightclick on the rFactor 2 Icon, select Properties and then local Files, does it point to Drive N:\?

EDIT I forgot... does the coreshaders.mas File exists in the Folder ..\rFactor 2\Core\Shared?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022