Released Caterham Academy

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

OK, just haven't noticed it before on caterham, or actually any of the cars in your list for that matter.
    Sweet that it is there tough.

kados likes this.
  2. Desesseints

Desesseints Registered

With some tweaking of the FFB multiplier (still finding the perfect value por my CLS DD) and using a proper track (for example Laguna Seca), the car is a joy.

Now, please S397 or a talented modder, ¡do an X-Bow!

3. Magus

Magus Registered

I had my 1st proper session with these cars yesterday and tried them back to back with the equivalent in AMS2.

I use Accuforce-v2 and at 4.5 caster had my FF multiplier at 100% (most other cars are between 50-65%) ad 6 caster FFB at 85%.

I think the rf2 version is a phenomenal car to drive. The FFB (as always) is informative, convincing, and the controls, intuitive. For me it surpasses the AMS2 version for feel and control (but I have that opinion on all the game's cars FFB compared to rF2). AMS2 just feels 'gummy' regardless of my Accuforce/LFB/FX/Dampening combination of settings - and I've tried many.

My only complaint is the sound lacks some punch. I jumped into the Caterham after trying out the Aerial Atom mod on the steam workshop, I understand the cars have different sound but the comparison in sound effects is notable. More punch and reverb, especially in the side exhaust would be nice.

Regardless, one of my favourite cars in sim racing, and super happy it has finally arrived in rF2 (along with Brands Hatch & Donnington). Thank you & looking forward to the future Caterham content planned (and please give us Oulton Park - all configurations :)).

RaceNut, Bernat and juanchioooo like this.
  4. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

I have T300 (only!!!!) and feel is as good with same caster setting (4,5) and FFB multi which is more high than all my other cars (100% vs 75% for other cars). 75 lack of feel, more than 100 clipping. Good settings with caster 4,5.

5. azaris

azaris Registered

Can someone explain why my tyre temps/pressures look like this after a few laps of Watkins Glen? Seems a bit off.

wut.jpg

6. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Because the last turn you didn't, was to the right

TJones likes this.
  7. azaris

azaris Registered

Okay but these are core temperatures, not surface temperatures? The core temps of the Caterham really change that much within one corner? The GTE tyres do not display such effects and have the normal I-M-O distribution even when the surface temps fluctuate much harder than on the Caterham.

8. Luprosx

Luprosx Registered

I think the GTE tires are pure racing slicks.
    Completely different structure or mixture.
    Catherham tires are street tires, so they react completely differently!

Rui Santos likes this.
  9. azaris

azaris Registered

If they're street tyres then why is the pressure under 140 kPa hot? Shouldn't it be closer to 200 kPa?

10. Luprosx

Luprosx Registered

I have no idea, I drive them the way they are in rF2.
    Enough, I'm not playing around.
    Drive everything standard, is good for me.

11. TJones

TJones Registered

Must be because of the low weight of the car, lighter cars generally use lower tire pressure than heavy cars.
    Just did a quick google search, and some members of the Caterham & Lotus seven club suggest about 16-18psi cold (110-124 kPa).

12. azaris

azaris Registered

If you read that document, it states "Avon Tyres Motorsport recommends between 32psi and 36psi HOT on Avon Caterham Academy Tyres."

13. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

18 PSI for me but I have very different tyres (Avon ZZS) to the Academy ones, I’ve read that they use of 30 for those.

14. TJones

TJones Registered

15. Bob Gnarley

Bob Gnarley Registered

Hello all.

Is there a fix for the milky windscreen thing?

pilAUTO likes this.
  16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The temps displayed there are surface temps, aren't they?

Pressure increase will probably be more in line with carcass temp increase (check telemetry).

No.

Bob Gnarley likes this.
  17. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

E50A5D3D-24DE-4C82-9E20-2737DCECFA15.jpeg

And https://www.caterhamcars.com/en/latest/guest-blog-on-track-for-the-academy-with-rob-oldland-7

TJones and azaris like this.
  18. TJones

TJones Registered

Thanks @Seven Smiles for the info, guess those tires must have a very different construction then.
    I'm usually a fan of authenticity and precise simulation, but I doubt that S397 make new tires for the Caterham, as it require a lot of time for getting data, development itself and testing.

19. Comante

Comante Registered

"As expected it was raining, really raining. Garry and Derek helped to set the car up for the wet conditions which included changing the anti-roll bar for the softer ‘orange’ bar, swapping the wheels for a set with brand new tyres and increasing the pressures to 34psi all round (how high is that for a Caterham!)"

In the rain threaded tires perform better with smaller contact patch as this increase pressure on the ground and help cut through the water better.

20. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Still can't get the regions to work properly on this car.
    Has there been a new template brought out?
    Only the white region works and I don't even have a white region in my skin. I'm using black region for car paint and blue region for vinyl, red region for matte paint and green region for chrome. When I go to the car in game and select black and change to car paint, the whole car is then car paint and if I go to the blue and select Matte Vinyl nothing changes.
    The attached pic shows the car (regions, body is car paint, guards are matte vinyl, tonneau cover is matte paint, the rings around the headlights are supposed to be chrome.) Looks like everything is car paint.

Attached Files: