Guide: Optimal FFB settings for rFactor 2 - The key to being in the "Zone" :D

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrR1pper, Mar 26, 2014.

1. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

I purchased my G920 after the G923 was released. If I remember correctly the G923 was way more expensive as it was just out, so I decided on the G920 as it was almost the same wheel but more in my budget at the time. I could have got the G29 but I thought the G920 looked better, being all black even though it lacks the shift lights. This was at the hight of the pandemic fuelled sim racing craze so I missed out on getting it even cheaper, as they were about a month before (supply and demand at its finest).

DrR1pper likes this.
  2. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Hi, any setting recommendations for a TM TS-PC be It on the TM app and In-game?

Currently on the TM app I have, 0 spring, and 0 dampening, FFB 75% and wheel range 900º. In-game smoothing at 4 and multiplier at 65%, steering effect strength negative. Anything not mentioned Is set by default.

3. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Maybe someone else will chime in but from memory, sounds like how I would have set it up if I had that wheel apart from in-game smoothing 0 and ffb multiplier car dependent. But things might have changed in rf2 since then. Not played it nor any racing sim properly since 2014 but about to try it again for the first time sometime this week with a TS-PC and CSL pedals LC (building a rig for a friend, testing if TS-PC is enough or whether he should get CSL DD instead and then going to build my own with DD rig to re-enter the sim racing world....excited to rejoin.)

Hazi, Corti, MikeV710 and 1 other person like this.
  4. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Thanks for your reply, and well glad you are getting back to the sim racing world. Welcome back!:cool:

DrR1pper likes this.
  5. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Thanks Mike. Good to be back. :p

Just finished some laps in ACC and then rF2 and boy what a joy rF2 was. There was no competition. The physics and ffb are as good as I remember if not better. Has there been any other sim that has even remotely narrowed the gap since I’ve been away? ACC was a total let down for me. Felt like driving on rails even with all assists (steering/abs/tc) off as if baked physics.

Tomorrow I need to find and install a pedal and ffb overlay (as I’m assuming TechAde’s probably doesn’t work anymore?)

Anything anyone would recommend I do, try or check out seeing as it’s been so long? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 9, 2022
    MikeV710 and Rui Santos like this.
  6. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Glad I am not the only one who thinks similar about ACC. Way overhyped IMO, I rather AC for that matter, or the recent AMS2. rF2 Is still my fav, and I think a lot should happen In the race siming Industry for that to change!

DrR1pper likes this.
  7. JParra

JParra Registered

Hello again everyone.

I am curious, because in rF2 sometimes I find a vehicle with a very good FFB and in other more modest Mods this FFB is very poor in details and simple, almost like a spring and this leads me to this question

Is the FFB of each car determined by some data file, or is it the result of a good work of suspensions / tires in the mod?

Obviously a good test track is decisive for comparison, I usually use Sebring, which seems to me to be one of the most detailed.

As for cars, I couldn't say which one gives me the best FFB sensations. Which one would you recommend as a reference for a good FFB?

Thank you for your clarification. Greetings.

8. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

As far as I know is a mixture of tire model plus track surface detail.

The best FFB I felt until now is from the official s397 BMW Class 1 DTM.

Marcwan and JParra like this.
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@JParra FFB is calculated in physics. Tyre reaction to current load and angles, through suspension and steering arm geometry (full flex chassis [2 sub body] modelling) all running at 2400Hz, resulting in a moment around the steering column.

This is then scaled and smoothed per the controller and FFB parameters.

There's no separation of car physics and "FFB effects". They're one and the same.

10. green serpent

green serpent Registered

As far as mods go there are many that feel great, but for something that feels very intuative and practically like a real car straight out of the box, I really like the RST-SPORTS R34 NISMO. The way the car feels and handles means it simply just goes exactly where you expect it to go with very convincing and informative ffb imo. Loads up a tonne during heavy cornering, and goes a bit light with excessive front scrubbing. very direct and solid feel but still has subtlety.

I apprciate how different all the cars in rF2 can feel from one another - part of the reason why things don't get boring! Some of the cars ffb needs a bit of getting used too and as a result the feel/handling of some cars isn't very intuative right away. You can change a lot about how the car feels with setup options like the well known caster angle change etc. sometimes it can be fun taking a car that dosn't feel quite right to you and learning the car/tweaking the setup until you are satisfied.

JParra likes this.
  11. JParra

JParra Registered

Thanks for the detailed answer.

In your opinion, what combination of car and track would you say is the best FFB feel in rFactor 2?

12. JParra

JParra Registered

Thanks. Do you have a link for that car?

13. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Damn, it seems it has disappeared, can't seem to find it anywhere. There are drift versions avaliable but they have a different steering geometry I think.

There is also this which I'm sure has a good feel but I would have to give it a go again to remember.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2017145643

14. Ricky Law

Ricky Law Registered

With a G29, what are the expected advantages of using an enhanced USB port or a vanilla universal port?

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I would say absolutely zero difference. The only way the USB port can make a difference is if you use a very old USB hub, as that will introduce noticeable lag. I believe any hub from the last ~10 years won't have that issue.

If anything newer USB ports tend to cause issues (with existing/older hardware). These devices have no need for the extra speed newer USB ports offer.

16. TrigMan59

TrigMan59 Registered

Does anyone know the location of the "FFBPluginConfig.ini" file for rF2? I cannot seem to find it for the life of me. Thanks.

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There's no such thing. What are you trying to do?

(this sounds like a ChatGPT-generated question, I'll be honest)

TrigMan59 likes this.
  18. TrigMan59

TrigMan59 Registered

You're correct, ChatGPT told me there was this filename for rF2. I was trying to find the ini file for my wheel setup as its all whacked out again (after uninstalling and reinstalling rF2) to delete it so the program will create a new one. See related thread I created below. Thanks.

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/no-more-ffb-for-ts-pc-racer.74181/

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

ChatGPT has zero intelligence. This is the 3rd example I've seen of it throwing completely disparate items and concepts together and leading someone on a wild goose chase trying to find what it says they need (which doesn't exist).

To get a fresh start you just need to delete/rename your controller.json file, verify rF2 files if you have lost the wheel config presets, and start again (by loading one of those presets, usually, and/or assigning your controls from scratch)

I'll answer in that thread as well. (Dave actually answered your query in the wrong thread, which I pointed out but he never corrected...)

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  20. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

couldn't find this thread again...lol
    ok, here is the copy of the address.
    The Reset FFB is located in the settings, which you can get to by clicking on the GEAR icon near the upper right. Then choose ASSIGN and finally click on the ICON shaped like a Driver's Helmet. That is the icon for Driving Cameras & Seat. First line in the last coloumn under HARDWARE is the reset FFB. Assign a key or button to that. Then get in the habit of pressing it every time you leave the garage.
    Here is how to create a TRACE file:
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/how-to-create-a-trace-file.62304/

Last edited: Apr 23, 2023
    TrigMan59 likes this.