Released Caterham Academy

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Aug 4, 2022.

1. EricW

EricW Registered

When it takes to much time or recources, he generally does reply in that matter..
    Not only with RF2 btw, so I'd not use him as an authority.
    Loads of bs in this thread imho.
    Apart from Lazza posting exactly what's mandatory to check.
    Set it to 100% and lower the gain in game, at least when you don't want a clipping fest...add a bit of inertia and friction if needed on your DD and it's good to go.

juanchioooo likes this.
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Whether kerb specific filtering is a good idea or not, this isn't totally true. The game knows when you're on kerbs, and kerb sounds are triggered by that.

I personally don't think it's a great option anyway, even assuming there's an issue here.

3. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

True Drive also offers a Slew Rate Limit setting, which can be set to limit output when triggered by an impact with walls, cars and even curbs.

Lazza likes this.
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sounds a lot like an rF1 FFB option, that could limit the change in FFB per update. When rF2 came out this missing option seemed like it might help G27 owners with excessive rattling over kerbs, and now it might be useful for DD owners (and others, really) for reducing how harsh the more extreme FFB fluctuations are. Needn't be situation-aware (e.g. kerbs) and would help away from expected situations as well.

5. Bernat

Bernat Registered

I'm not saying there can't be kerb zones that trigger kerb sounds, but I don't think they trigger kerb effects. I don't really know for sure but I just wanted to make the distinction between visual 3D kerbs that only play a baked effect and physical 3D kerbs that affect FFB like any other irregularity in the terrain.

6. azaris

azaris Registered

I doubt any game anywhere is bothering to model 3D kerbs visually then somehow deleting the 3D kerbs from the track model to only model them as flat surfaces in the physical model. That sounds like more work than just having 3D kerbs in the game. Also it would be immediately obvious because the tyres would just clip through the 3D kerbs instead of reacting to them.

avenger82 likes this.
  7. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Visuals are everything in most games. They model a lot of things that don't have an impact in the game just for visuals. Engines have a minimum level of detail that they can model physically. There a multiple tricks that can make it look good, that's what games are made of, visual tricks. Show me a video where tires deform following the kerb instead of just clipping or jumping over them.

8. Comante

Comante Registered

How many titles have deformable tire mesh that accurately react to surface conformation?

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sorry, yeah, I just meant that the game can see when you're on kerbs, so if you wanted to try and filter (let's say apply more smoothing to) FFB related to kerbs, you could sort of do it. I think there's sometimes a misconception that because it's physically modelled you can't then choose to react to a specific scenario - the game isn't blind to which terrain you're on, it knows there is a kerb there. It's probably more productive to say yes, you could choose to alter the FFB in response to that, and then explain why it's a bad idea :p

Do any? I don't think rF2 tyres conform to the exact kerb shape underneath them, for example. Certainly graphically if you put half a tyre off a tall kerb the look isn't right, and I think trying to cater for all scenarios would lead to prohibitively big lookup tables. I don't know how much of the current physical scenario is actually used to choose which values to use (should be safe to assume load, camber, lat and long forces). Probably best they don't make that public so that people who don't understand their favourite Game X is using a much simpler system don't come along and say "ha! Lookup tables that don't model that dead fly on the road! Losers!"

10. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yeah they probably doesn't. Could be why they use BristleLength parameter.

BristleLength = An optimisation tuned to aid collision detection, no other physical effects. It could be
    considered the maximum possible deflection that a bristle can experience. A safe value would
    approximate the maximum possible tyre radius (usually achieved at maximum temperature, speed
    and air pressure), minus the rim radius.

Can notice that when hitting kerbs at historic Monaco, or for example I do also run into it recently while practicing Isle of Man. Cars handling usually remain relatively smooth when hitting them. Although I haven't looked at the mesh of these tracks, but I suppose sidewalk curbs are modeled like uh... sidewalk curbs. IRL you'd hit them, it would probably instantly destroy tire and wheel, would lead to total loss of control. ALSO would probably result in VERY UNPLEASANT FFB SPIKE :D

11. Comante

Comante Registered

Yeah, depending the car it could even lead to loss of lives, arson, and several other criminal charges.

12. Bernat

Bernat Registered

@Lazza, if you don't have a curb effect you can't know how much the curb contributes to the calculated FFB versus everything else, slope, momentum, brakes, grip, so I don't think it's possible to filter only the curb effect. We could filter everything when the car is over a curb but that's not probably what we want.

@mantasisg, what you see on screen doesn't have to reflect exactly what's happening at the physics engine level. Visuals use a lot of tricks to make graphics easier to manage and render with decent performance. There's also tricks for physics calculation for the same reasons. So in the end it shouldn't be so important what you see on screen vs what you feel at the wheel.

Lazza likes this.
  13. lagg

lagg Registered

Yes, it's possible.
    There are two "variables" here.
    One is the 3D shape of the curb and in the other side is the material aplied to the 3D object (the curb)
    A modder could model a curb totally flat and apply to it the curb material, and rF2 would know that is a curb, but the FFB wouldn't be strong because the curb hasn't height.
    If there was a filter or a limit that could be applied to the FFB of the curbs the sim could, for example, cap the FFB when it reaches a value, only if the tire is on a curb, because the sim knows that the material of the ground at that moment is a curb.
    I don't know if i've explained well, because of the language, sorry.

14. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

I didn't want to make a discord.
    I wanted to say the granite forum (simucube 2) is full of posts with too much kerb effect....and I agree.
    That's why some others games are well more suited for a Simucube 2 pro...iRacing for example.

15. EricW

EricW Registered

Funny, I recall years ago there were complaints about Iracing FFB and simucube, and all was to blame to the low FFB frequency Iracing was and still is providing.
    It's just a DirectX directinput controller afaik like most controllers.
    The servo controller settings and signal processing is in their hands, and when it only functions well on a couple of games, they are doing something wrong imho.
    SC1 feels great in RF2 btw.

juanchioooo likes this.
  16. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

The granite forum has massive complains about the kerbs...even here.

17. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

So, didn't read all 27 pages but, is there a problem with the region / materials on this car? I can't seem to get chrome to work on the body template. I am using the same technique I have used for other skins but can't seem to get it to work on these cars.

Thanks in advance for any info on this. :)

18. svictor

svictor Registered

Just checked and chrome effect works in 397's showroom.
    Make sure to test skin on official PBR tracks. Chrome visual effect is only visible on tracks that has enabled reflectionmapper=static01. There are many old & 3rd party tracks don't have this enabled, and chrome can not be displayed on those tracks.

JimmyT and juanchioooo like this.
  19. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

Is the engine damage to the caterham a new thing?
    I managed to blow the engine coulple times when shifting down too early and over revving the engine.
    I wasn't really driving, as i was testing something else, so it could be that i just haven't been so careless before in my driving as i was now.

Anyway. I love it!!! forces you to be conscious timing your downshifts.
    So much progress in this area (gearbox things in general) in such a short time.
    Way to go S397!!!!!!
    THANK YOU!!!!

juanchioooo likes this.
  20. lagg

lagg Registered

It's not new. Is car dependant.
    Try the McLaren M23, Brabham BT44B and March 761 and you'll see the explosion fest :p

Kelju_K likes this.