[REL] LeMans (S397) Mod without Chicanes

Discussion in 'Locations' started by redapg, Jan 5, 2021.

1. redapg

redapg Registered

Coming from THIS Thread, i thought that maybe also Others would like to race on the S397 LeMans Track, without the 2 Chicanes on the Hunaudières Straight.
    So i did upload my private Version, that can be downloaded here:

UPDATE for the S397 Version 2.82/83: Download some Info

IMPORTANT HINT: the new rfcmp File has the same Name (intentionally) like the old one.
    So if you have the old Version installed, do this:
    Before you start the Game, delete the Folder ..\rFactor 2\Installed\Locations\LeMans_2018\2.83noCh
    Then download the new rfcmp File, put it into the Folder where the old one is and overwrite the old one.
    Install the new one.

If Problems appear, please report here.

BTW The Street, where normally the Chicanes are, has a few "heavy" Bumps there.
    So hold the Steering Wheel on Course there. :)

To avoid Conflicts: If you have no other Updates installed, you should only have the Subfolders 2.82 and 2.83 in your ..\rFactor 2\Installed\Locations\LeMans_2018 Folder,
    before you install this Update.

Hint: If you want to uninstall that Modification, don't do it through the UI.
    Navigate to the Folder of the Track "..\rFactor 2\Installed\Locations\LeMans_2018" and delete the Subfolder "2.83noCh" by Hand please.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  2. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

Nice one mate! I'll be giving this a run

redapg likes this.
  3. atomed

atomed Member

Thanks a lot.

redapg likes this.
  4. redapg

redapg Registered

Thank you, i hope you like it. :)

5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Thanks for making this very interesting, I am not the fan of those two particular chicanes, especially the first one.

I am definitely going to drive no chicane version, especially with classics. I think bumps are not that bad there, but surely noticeable. Holding wheel is necessary, but with my T300 just barely holding was enough :D The track flows so much better with straight opened up.

I was surprised how much more safe straight feels comparing to Le Grand Circuit. In LGC there is very narrow path to make the kink in straight, and then the hump right before braking is higher, and as for braking I think the modern is more difficult as there is a turn in braking zone now.

I have a little bit of rant about those chicanes. IMO they are unneeded at all and I would question if they does make the track any safer, or just creates different threats instead of just reducing speed which is dangerous... IMO those chicanes ruined one of the most important features of LeMans, which is low aerodinamic drag of cars. Of course there is still plenty of driving in straights, but with main straight it is so much less important. Without these chicanes Le mans cars must have to use much less downforce to have less drag. They would burn less fuel, and efficiency used to be important in Lemans. Cars would probably have to be less powerful to not achieve 400+ km/h, but that would add up to efficiency, and induced drag is not efficient. With less downforce, cars that are less powerful would feel just as alive. Drivers could rest a bit more while going through long straight. And cars would be slower at turns, which would also cause less fatigue for drivers. Overall the race would be less of a sprint, and more of an endurance.

Overall IMO motorsport took wrong turn in late 90s. Focusing more on higher downforce and faster laptimes. Instead of true efficiency - tires that last a long time, low drag = lower fuel efficiency and higher speeds with less power. And in past years they started making less powerful engines to be more efficient, but they keeps on making cars with lots of wings induced drag, and driving tires that are unpractical and designed for a pit stops show. At least active aero would be allowed to use properly and not restricted by the rules.

I think chicanes in Hunaudières Straight are best monuments of wrong turn in motorports.

6. Luprosx

Luprosx Registered

Thanks, I like driving this specification!

redapg likes this.
  7. philrob

philrob Registered

Thank you Redapg, looks and drives great.

redapg and pkelly like this.
  8. atomed

atomed Member

I know it´s nothing but a huge straight but man I love it :cool:

redapg likes this.
  9. redapg

redapg Registered

The first Post is updated with a Link for the new Version 2.83noCh, that matches the current S397 Le Mans 2022 V. 2.82/83.
    In this Update, i again removed the Chicanes and also disabled the Use of DRS.
    But this Time i didn't make a complete new AIW File, because i lack a bit of free Time and also because i wanted to keep the original Pathes, that are, besides of the usual Ones: FASTEST, LEFT, RIGHT, BLOCK also the "special" Pathes FAST_GT, FAST_GTE and FART-P , that are used by the according Car Classes, where i really don't know for what the Path FART-P is good for. :D
    So, to get rid of the Chicanes in the AIW File, i did use a little bit unusual Method.
    You will notice what that means, when you see the Track loading. ;)

Corti, vava74, datasting and 3 others like this.
  10. bears

bears Registered

@redapg sorry to hijack your thread but I was wondering if sometime you could use your special skill and do the same as this to Pukekohe Raceway Park by Engineering Consult eg remove the chicane and return it to its former glory… no pressure of course :)

vava74 likes this.
  11. redapg

redapg Registered

Did you ask the original Modders already, if they would do it?
    I sometimes do such Modifications, but i want to avoid that it grows to a Fulltime-Job for me. ;)
    I already have enough Discussions with my Girlfriend, about the Time, that i spend with rFactor. :D

12. bears

bears Registered

No worries... I know what you mean I have similar discussions with my wife :)

13. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

Thank you for this awesome update! I get track limit warnings every time I go through both chicanes (even if I'm following the AI). I turned off the warnings so I can at least get a timed lap, but can this be fixed?

14. svictor

svictor Registered

One of the major difficulty for adding new layout is to create proper AIW. Even if it is just a simple removal of chicane, all the paths of AIW has to be redone from scratch (only some info like pit garage grid can be copied over), because AIW editor has limited support for altering waypoint (nodes position can't be moved in editor for example). And this process is one of the big headache that take lots time to do for modders. That's one of the reason we don't see many extra layout available for many existing multi-layout tracks in rf2. If only one day there will be a better AIW editor that modders can simply move/add waypoint nodes or even combine path sections freely without having to redo everything.

bears likes this.
  15. redapg

redapg Registered

As i had written in my above Post, i did this Modification in a bit unusual Way this Time.
    One Reason was what @svictor has written too, to avoid to have to create complete new AI Pathes.
    So i simply removed the Waypoints of the Chicanes (you can see the Gaps in the Menu and when the Track loads ;)) and smoothed the existing Pathes in that Area.
    But because of the missing Waypoints, there are no Corridors anymore now, what will be the Reason fo the Cut Warnings (my Fault, to not to have tested it).
    I maybe can fix that, with the Method that i did use for my instant Timing Mod for the S397 Nordschleife.

16. redapg

redapg Registered

@Flatspotter Do you also get the Warning only, at the Part of the Straight, where the 2nd Chicane is?

17. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Registered

great story from MotorSport mag about Ligne Droite des Hunaudieres...
    https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/...-2020/62/mulsanne-motor-sports-greatest-blast

“The straight was dangerous, but it was our job to race on it. The speeds the cars did on the straight was part of the attraction for the public. When the chicanes arrived, we killed the dream.” - Henri Pescarolo (4-time winner)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
  18. vava74

vava74 Registered

Exactly. Directly from the horse's mouth...

Eric Rowland likes this.
  19. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

Yes, if I remember correctly, I was able to avoid a warning through the first chicane by keeping in the right lane (unlike the AI), but I get the warning in the second chicane no matter which lane I'm in.

Thanks for looking into this, and for the education about AIW. I didn't know the editor was so limited!

20. redapg

redapg Registered

Just a short Update.
    I think i have found a Solution, to add Waypoints on the Straight, that it works for the human Player and also for the AI.
    With that Solution, the Cut Track Warnings on the Straight should be solved.
    But i have to finish the editing of the AIW and test it, before i can be sure about it.