IR-18 Brake sound problem

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by wellness28, Aug 10, 2022.

1. wellness28

wellness28 Registered

Hi,
    since yesterday i have a strange problem with the official IR-18. The squeaking sound when i brake is loud, that it hurts the ears - much louder than the engine.
    At first i thought it has to do with the new update, but i see no reports from others. I did not touch the sound settings and all other cars don´t have that problem.
    I verified all files with steam and tried to unsubscribe the dallara in steam. but when i click in my inventory at "show workshop-object" there is an error message like: "The objec is marked as hidden or you have no permission to see this object."
    Does anybody have a tip how it is maybe possible to reset sound files from official content or something?
    I love the dallara so much, but with this loud breaking squeaking sound it is unplayable for me sadly.

It sounds like this. This doesn´t sound normal? Do you guys have this too?

Thanks in advance!
    Matthias

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I just tested the car and got zero brake noise. Ensure you have v1.67 installed and are using either the Release Candidate or the NONE option in the beta tab.
    The unsubscribing has been messed up for several months now. You easiest solution will be to delete the car folder from the Installed/Vehicles folder. Then restart rF2 and it should download the correct version. There is another location but identifying the correct folder is maddening.

3. wellness28

wellness28 Registered

Thank you! That helped. Thread can be solved.

4. jamie stocks

jamie stocks Registered

i amhaving exactly the same problem with all the cars so there is a bigger problem since the update , the screaching is unbearable , i have tried all sound settings , none of which i had changed after update , all to no avail , ideas ?? ???

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Ensure you are using either the release candidate or the NONE option under the beta tab.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

All cars? Really all cars? Be specific. And list their versions in the game, so we can see if you have old versions.

Kelju_K likes this.
  7. jamie stocks

jamie stocks Registered

how do i get the release candidate code i cant seem to navigate through steam

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

rFactor 2 -> Properties -> BETAS -> None (no point doing RC, it's the same anyway)

9. jamie stocks

jamie stocks Registered

thanks for explaining that , i checked and its NONE in settings , i watched one utube review on a known racing sim channel and they said the brake screaches will drive you mad , all very strange cant be right

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Please specify cars and versions, so others can confirm.

11. jamie stocks

jamie stocks Registered

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@jamie stocks

1. We're other users. We aren't paid to help. Spending time to try and work out what's going on is much more pleasant if you can take more than 15 seconds to post properly and give requested details.

2. We don't know if what you're hearing is normal brake noise or your game malfunctioning. If you can capture some game footage to illustrate, or find a video that shows what you're hearing (or not hearing, in the same car) that would help. Then, if you can check in the game what version number is shown next to the cars (per car, specifically; not just "btcc") it may help identify if you have old files interfering.

3. You earlier said all cars, can you confirm if it's just the caterham and some/all the BTCC cars? Have you tried older DLC cars and/or stock game content? (FISI2012, Corvette, Cobra... whatever)

Florian Dubiel likes this.
  13. jamie stocks

jamie stocks Registered

clearly you arent experiencing it , the video posted by the original individual shows the screeching , thanks for your thoughts , i appreciate we are all partaking in a hobby and this isnt a help line .

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The first post was solved by updating the content to the correct version, so that's potentially a bit different.

I get quite some brake squeal in the caterham, but it seems plausible for racing brakes in an open cockpit car. I don't have any BTCC cars so can't comment on those.

The problem is differentiating an issue from personal expectations. If your game sounds exactly like the above video you may have an issue, but given the caterham is new and you're not on an old rF2 build it seems unlikely to happen. Direct footage, or if you can view some rf2 caterham videos and work out if they sound different to yours, would help a lot.

15. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

What version of the car are you using? Current released version is 1.66 & 1.67. Make sure you don't have an old mod that forcing you to run an old version.

16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

and YET! Other than the original post, who got his issue solved by providing the exact car, no other bit of information has come to us so we can try to help.
    Are you ONLY using S397 BTCC cars or are you also using a 3rd party mod. In that case the mod team must update their sound files. S397 cannot do that. YOU can turn down the Legacy Slider for sound effects to under 10%
    But if you are using the 4 new BTCC cars offered by S397, then tell us what car? but more specifically WHAT version number of the car? Since we are not experiencing it, then it must mean it is not an issue with the sim itself but something that either is corrupted or not updated. The original post contained video and was EASILY solved. So provide some information, not, some of the these or perhaps that other one...Tell us which car, which version number. I've driven the Caterham, all the BTCC cars and I'm not experiencing that squeal. But it is clearly there in the first post due to his car version being out of date. We DO try to help, when we can because we've gone through a lot of the muck ourselves trying to figure things out.
    The official IR18 had some sound issues, including that brake squeal which I did experience. But not with the newest version, the sounds were corrected prior to this update. But not all users got that download from Steam. So whatever car you experience it with, write yourself a note and provide us the version number. Also, next time you load a track, check the lower right corner as the track is loading, there should be some text stating which build you are using. Current one is V1130.(which should be the build number with the NONE option)
    Current versions of the BTCC cars are: Caterham v1.00. Ford Focus v1.01. Hyundai v1.01. Infinity v1.15 Toyota v1.17

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Here's a video which replicates what I hear in the Caterham. The external sound (chase cam, from behind) is similar but higher pitch, more metallic squeal/scrape to it:

Is that what you're hearing? Same sort of volume level compared to the engine?

(and same question to the others posting here, @davehenrie etc)

18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

That is what I hear, it sounds correctly balanced to me. The first video up at the top of the thread presented a much louder braking sound. Which is practically non-existent in the updated IR18. The open cockpit on the Caterham 'should' produce more exterior noises such as the brakes, but what is in your video is not, by any stretch game-breaking, horrendous or screeching.

Kelju_K likes this.
  19. justposted

justposted Registered

I was experiencing the same issue as OP this evening, specifically in the previous set of BTCC cars (Q50 & Corolla). The new ones (Focus, i30) were fine. I checked a couple of other cars (Caterham, Oreca) and tracks (Brands, Monaco) and all was fine.

Then when I changed back to the Q50/Corolla the issue had gone away. It had been consistent with maybe 6 different reloads wit the affected cars at Brands previously. So it seems to be a bit of a random glitch that is probably solved by loading up a few different combinations. I don't think I even restarted rF2 during my tests.

For future reference: where do I check the version number? I'm on 'None' in the Steam/Beta setting and it says rFactor v1130 when I load a track, but I can't find the reference to 1.67.

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

1.67 is the car version, should be shown in the car selection list.