Released Caterham Academy

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Aug 4, 2022.

1. azaris

azaris Registered

I don't think you'll get a very reasonable comparison. The two cars seem to be modelled with different tyres. The rF2 Academy has hot pressures in the 21-24 psi window (indicating it's on Avon ZZRs or similar) while the AMS2 Academy has hot pressures in the 32-36 psi window (indicating it's on Avon Academy Tyres).

2. green serpent

green serpent Registered

No one has been silly enough to lend me their racing car unfortunately :(
    Really that's why these conversations are frustrating for me, because ultimately it's all speculation. Even someone's opinion who has driven the car although more valid, it's still very fallible. I trust that the sim has all the values as close to RL as possible, but something still just seems not quite right in general, and that doubt for me is reinforced by the lack of torque at low speeds when (imo) there should be more friction generated by the tyre creating a much heavier feel.
    Is it good enough to be convincing and enjoyable - 100% yes. I also think that it's very possible for the hardware to be at fault to a greater degree than the sim is at fault. Going from a G29 to a DD was a revelation, and although my wheel can theoretically reproduce most of the forces, maybe an even stronger wheel would reproduce the force in a way that would be more convincing to me.

3. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Cars with little weight cannot have a very hard ffb, obviously it will have feecback, but not like a formula 2, and I would say that speed is more important than strength, I think people are wrong with certain values, obviously I think you are obsessed in excess with reality... fear in the simulator does not exist, in reality it is very important, so enjoy more and obsess less:);)

4. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Go karts

Havner, sg333, RaceNut and 3 others like this.
  5. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

are you going to compare a kart with a caterham? especially because of the degrees of rotation... it has nothing to do with one thing with the other.... it's ridiculous

especially for the suspensions, the shock absorbers and other gadgets, we go just like a kart:D

Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
  6. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

a kart is like a car what an egg is like a shoe

7. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

My first car was a Golf 1 GTI with a weight of 800 Kilos. I dont remember that i could steer it easily with two fingertips

8. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

the AMS 2 Caterham is very nice, and I'm at 30% with my SC 2.....

9. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

the golf has a front engine the weight was on the directional axle, we go on the front axle, it had 840 kilos empty, that is, more than 900 kilos

10. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Clipping is far easier to detect by feel when using a DD-wheel.

Managing the difference in ffb per car, would be so much better if adjustment could be assigned to keys / buttons / dials, on the fly. It's not about making all cars feel the same, it's about providing steering feedback that just works.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
    Havner and nolive721 like this.
  11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

+1!

RaceNut likes this.
  12. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

+1000

RaceNut likes this.
  13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I can't drive the caterham with 2 fingertips on my T500 (~4Nm peak torque). What on earth are your settings?

You don't seem to understand the basic concepts of FFB, and you're disappearing when asked direct questions (how's that GT3 steering rotation going?). Stop wasting everyone's time.

14. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Now that's being supportive! :D

15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Kinda makes me look a little bit weak...like I need to raise my +1 some... ;)

RaceNut likes this.
  16. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

@Paul Jeffrey

I believe Paul that the priority of a feature allowing you to change the multi FFB in the race now becomes ultra priority.

I guess it's not a huge job to do, at least I guess (I guess maybe wrong).

17. sk8

sk8 Registered

Aah ok, thanks for the info. As long as it's in the pipeline I guess.

18. sk8

sk8 Registered

I've driven a Morgan plus four. Similar vehicle but less advanced. Heavy steering and heavy brakes. All unassisted.
    The Caterham also has no power steering. I imagine it should have heavy direct steering too. The steering does lighten as you get moving though but not drastically. Don't you also need a more powerful DD to correctly simulate the forces in rf2 though?

green serpent likes this.
  19. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Can you imagine if a ffb wheel did in fact output 1:1 forces with real life with something like a gt3 car with max caster? With the lack of powersteering simulation most of us wouldn't even be able to get out of the pits.

One should have to attend the gym on a regular basis just to sim race. This is the level of realism needed.

sk8 likes this.
  20. sk8

sk8 Registered

This would no doubt benefit a number of the armchair warriors here.

memoNo1 likes this.