Game trys to update DLC that I never purchased

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by BryanBirtwell, Aug 28, 2022.

1. BryanBirtwell

BryanBirtwell Registered

Like the title says...
    The game crashes to desktop because it is trying to update DLC cars I never purchased... Or even thought of purchasing...

It says it can't update the 'car' because the 'base model' isn't installed.

I uninstalled rFactor2 and re-installed. No change.
    Unistalled and deleted all rFactor2 folders and re-installed. No change
    I uninstalled rFactor2 and Steam.... deleted all content again. Re-installed. No change.
    Help!

-Bryan

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

for the love of all considered Holy, will folks STOP UN-installing/re-installing. If you go back and look at trouble shooting threads ALMOST EVERY SINGLE one has folks repeatedly U-ing and R-ing almost always without success. (This is NOT pointed solely at you Brian, I could be rich if folks paid me every time I read/answered messages like yours.)
    You probably tried to join an online session that required the car or track. So rF2 is trying to install it but not having any success due to you not having that content. What is the car/track? What is the version #? Do you know if you were trying to join a Competiton System event? Are you using 3rd party mods? Please give as much specific detail and we'll (private users) try and sort this out. Keep in mind S397 has pushed out many free cars in the past several years, you may be mistaking one of those for DLC.(Like the new Caterham for example)

Alessio Feletto likes this.
  3. Alessio Feletto

Alessio Feletto Registered

A "format C:" is always the last option i guess ahahahha, to find out it doesn't solve the "issue" :D

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
  4. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

I was on TS with Bryan as it was happening. Steam downloaded the small rF2 update and then started trying to download DLC's. He can't even get to the UI. It keeps trying to D/L the GTE's and then just crashes.

5. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

I totally agree uninstalling and reinstalling very seldom cures a problem. I've been running rF2 since 2016 and I have only reinstalled it twice in that time. The first was when DX11 beta was first released and it caused me problems and it would not revert back to DX9. The second time was when I bought a new computer and that's the computer I use now. I think one of the biggest problems are skin packs which are not stand alone skins and are installed as rfcmp files, these files can cause problems when some thing is updated. Stand alone skins never cause problems when updates occur. I noticed over the last year or so there has been a lot of skin packs for special events posted on Steam, I'm sure some of these have caused problems for some people with updates or joining an on line race. I only have two skin packs installed and I know exactly where there located and for which car, so if any problems occur I can uninstall them. I quite often run the verify integrity file in Steam to check all is ok. I think one of the biggest problems is people poke around in the json files and don't know what there really doing or forget what they changed when it doesn't work. Apologies for rambling on, sorry.

davehenrie likes this.
  6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Check your workshop subscribed items.

Also... use mod manager to see if you can see any "damaged mods" (coloured red). This should give an explanation on how to use that: https://sites.google.com/view/racing-sim-pitstop/rfactor-2/installing-mods

DJCruicky likes this.