Tutorial to convert tracks from rFactor to rFactor2 with 3dsimed

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by SPASKIS, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

I'm assuming that happens in DevMode, right?
    Does the track load in the viewer normally? If it does, can you see road surface and/or terrain when moving around?

Generally speaking, there are few things which must be in to load track successfully to DevMode.

- X - triggers (xFinish, xPitIn, xPitOut, xSector1 and xSector2 planes) must be in (=exported in the game) and populated to track's SCN file. Otherwise track can crash.

- When there is no existing AIW file (AI waypoint file), the car will spawn to the coordinates 0,0,0. If there is no drivable surface under these coords, car will fall through the ground. Do not use any other track's AIW file. Every track need unique AIW file. If you do not have any drivable surface under 0,0,0, move the whole track in the way that there is road under 0,0,0. Other option is to build temporary road to the nearest drivable surface, which can be removed when proper AIW file is created.

2. James Odell

James Odell Registered

no road surface. Everything is floating in air. I start in the pits though. I fall once and then it corrects itself but I can't move.

3. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Sounds like your terrain and road is above 0 meters at z-axis. The car spawns to coordinates 0,0,0 and never reaches drivable terrain.

If you have AIW file, then edit first garage position Z - value up few meters.

Find "TeamIndex=0" and adjust its first GarPos Z coordinate few meters up.

GarPos=(0,240.261,0.866,32.759)

Format of coordinates is X,Z,Y

If you do not have AIW file, then try to move road and terrain down to zero z (or slightly below 0 z) and re-export. Also make sure that road and terrain inside barriers are set to collide and HAT.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  4. Philip00

Philip00 Member

Hi all,

I am trying to convert F1 1998 tracks from RF1 to RF2 for personal use.

1. My first problem is that the original scn does not distingusih track object from other almost everthing named as obj123 etc so I cant make the step where to copy the asphalt texture.

2. the pmc mas which he copies from another track, I cant find it any of the track which is on teh installed or moddev folder.

3. I was able to convert the track and it run on dev mode despite I needed to skip those steps that I mentioned above however when I try to run in "normal" mod I got the following error and I got CTD:

"Invalid filename for texture file SHAD.DDS error loading texture SHAD for material MATERIAL244.
    Error Loading global material MATERIAL244.
    Mesh: obj3229
    Instance: OBJ3229"

After that I got CTD.

Can somebody help me what am I doing wrong?
    I can send the original scn if needed,

5. redapg

redapg Registered

@Philip00 The Problem with the Error Message "Invalid Filename..." can have different Reasons.
    Check if the File really exists in the MAS Files from the rfcmp.
    If not, add one and if yes, check in which MAS File it is packed.
    If it's in a "common" Maps MAS, remove it from there and put it into the MAS File where the SCN File of the Track/Layout is and then try again.
    If that doesn't solve the Problem, you probably have to save the File in another Format.
    But to help with that, i would need to have the complete DevMode Folder of the Track, that, if you want, can upload somewhere and send me the Link by a private Conversation.

6. Philip00

Philip00 Member

Thanks for the help! It wasn't exist so I had to add and recreate the MAS file.

Now works like a charm, thank you again!

Emery and redapg like this.
  7. Philip00

Philip00 Member

Hi All,
    I would like to ask help regarding 2 tihgs.

In the following video the creator use a tool called rf2_textfix which change the lightning (darkness) of the dds files

here from 36:14

Is there anybody who has this tool or is there any quick way/method to change the lights of the dds from RF1 to RF2?

If I filter for material I can rename object names that is visible with "rename objects" option in 3dsimed.

Is there any way that I can esaily rename the instance names as well?

8. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

Oh the things have changed quite alot from that time. i should really remake the whole process to be honest.

Emery, Hazi, dradecki and 1 other person like this.
  9. Philip00

Philip00 Member

Hi Guys,

for some object/s I got the following error message.

"XY is a Colltarget or HATtarget. It should not be assigned to any visibility gropus as this causes simulation issues"

I checked the mentioned object/s and this/those are not assigned to any visibility groups.

Can somebody help me what could be the issue?

10. redapg

redapg Registered

Check the mentioned Mesh in that Error Message, if it has to use CollTarget and/or HatTarget set to "True".
    For Example, only drivable Surfaces should use HatTarget=True.
    If it doesn't need to have one or both set to True, correct it and check if the Error still persists.
    If you can not solve the Problem, i can offer to take a Look at it, if you upload your DevMode Folder of the Track and send me the Link by a private Message.

Juergen-BY and Corti like this.
  11. Philip00

Philip00 Member

Thanks redapg!

I checked the scn file and for those the HATtarget are set to false, however even tough in the 3dsimed it seems the visgroups set to none in the scn file I see that those objects are assigned to a specific visgroups:

Instance=crowds01
    {
    VisGroups=(96)
    MeshFile=crowds01.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=False LODOut=(10000.0)
    }
    Instance=crowds02
    {
    VisGroups=(96)
    MeshFile=crowds02.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=False LODOut=(1989.6)
    }

Those are the crowds in the stands.

Shall I delete the visgroups from the scn file or shall I set Colltarget to false?

If necessary I can send the devmod folder to you as well I just dont want to bothering you.

Thanks in advance

12. Corti

Corti Registered

About VisGroups, these values indicate the sessions where objects should be shown
    http://simtrackipedia.wikidot.com/visgroups
    There should not be many changes in the codes
    Change CollTarget to false and reduce LODOut 10000 too

Philip00 and redapg like this.
  13. redapg

redapg Registered

Do what @Corti has written above already, that should solve the Problem:

Philip00 likes this.
  14. Philip00

Philip00 Member

Thank you guys!

15. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Hey guys i have the same issue with object being assigned to a visgroup and also being collidable. Until i saw the error message in devmod i wasn't aware that this could lead to "simulation issues". I used it this way for years in our league for our nordschleife (close/open the shortcut at the end of gp track) and i have never heard of any issues. So what could this potential "simulation issues" be?

16. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Sorry to grab that old Thread....but i have a similar Problem and cant find any solution.
    Code:
    From SCN:
    Instance=Bld_TheWingDetails
    {
      MeshFile=Bld_TheWingDetails.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=False ShadowCaster=(Static, Solid) ShadowGroups=(8)
    }

From Trace File:

RF2 Warning : BLD_THEWINGDETAILS is a CollTarget or HATTarget. It should NOT be assigned to any visibility groups as this causes simulation issues.

From my POV it should be a CollTarget but not driveable. Cant see whats wrong...

17. redapg

redapg Registered

Maybe it's the Tag ShadowGroups=(8) that counts as a visibility Group.
    Do you get the same Error when you remove it?
    And as @McFlex has said, i also use collidable Cones with VisGroups=(XX) Tags for my instant Timing Mod for the Nordschleife and did never notice any Simulation Issues.
    The only Thing that i remember, is THIS one, from a VERY old Thread. :D

Juergen-BY likes this.
  18. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Yes, removing ShadowGroups did the magic...