Please S397, share the physics files and the tires of your cars.

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by gianluca, Aug 16, 2022.

1. Frederick Alonso

Frederick Alonso Registered

Offtopic: Just make SCN file pointing to all the encrypted mas files. This works fine here:

SearchPath=.
    SearchPath=SpaFrancorchamps_2020
    SearchPath=SpaFrancorchamps_2020\layoutEndurance

//-------------------------------------------------------

MASFile=COMMONMAPS.MAS
    MASFile=SpaFrancorchamps_2020\ASSETS\assetsAnims.mas
    MASFile=SpaFrancorchamps_2020\ASSETS\assetsGMTs.mas
    MASFile=SpaFrancorchamps_2020\ASSETS\assetsMAPs.mas
    MASFile=SpaFrancorchamps_2020\ASSETS\assetsMaterials.mas
    //-------------------------------------------------------

MASFile=COMMONMAPS.MAS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Frederick Alonso

@yoss did put a lot effort in it, the website just needs a refresh but in my opinion it's full of great info.

http://yoss.free.fr/rfactornfr/Modding_Tutorial_Website/PhysicsGlossary.shtml

I agree that a more recent car would help that is documented in the code.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
  3. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

No need for this. Just copy the whole track to devmode/locations and put alle the mas-files into one drawer. No need for changing something in the scn

4. vava74

vava74 Registered

It would allow people to use S397 work potentially for their (third party) profit.
    "building" an accurate mod involves a lot of work and a lot of knowledge.
    I don't think it's abnormal for that to be protected.
    I even understand the fact that they don't release the new tyres (even if encrypted). I would prefer they did, but understand why they won't undermine their DLC sales by providing the best tyres in the business for people to simply produce mods which would compete with their product.

5. dylbie

dylbie Registered

I used to ask for a tgm/tbc database quite regularly a few years back. We did get a few examples to use but only limited sizes, and no street tyres.

I also used to ask for a recommendation library of which shaders to use for paint, chrome, rubber, metal, glass etc.

Another thing I requested was a front end icon creator in Dev Mode.

Alas, nothing really happened so I gave up.

Bearing in mind rF2 has been heavily propped up by mods over the last 10 years, there's still very little help for modders. Most of it actually comes from the modding community, not the devs.

6. vava74

vava74 Registered

Without questioning what you say, I believe we should remember that S397 has been a fairly small team which had trouble just to keep rF2 afloat, so for them to document stuff for modders, would always be something extra, on top of their stretched workload.

atomed likes this.
  7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

r Factor 2 has had several advantages over the years but has also been saddled with some incredible shortcomings. So one of it's greatest strengths vs other sim has been the tire. Over the years and over several iterations, the tire file has been head & shoulders above most other sims. So it is being proposed that S397, for the benefit of modders and thus end users, release all the details of the tire so that modders(and COMPETITORS) can copy.

8. Frederick Alonso

Le Mans works like you say, but for Spa I needed to do it this way or it would not load for whatever reason.

9. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

So it loads both layouts fine for me in devmode. I deleted the 1.15 folder. The files from 1.15 are in 1.14

Screenshot 2022-08-17 183039.jpg

Frederick Alonso likes this.
  10. Emery

Emery Registered

Oh, good grief. The dev blog diary is still out there, you just haven't bothered to look for it. It's in the same place it's always been since S397 began managing rF2 development, at the very beginning of the News pages.

Hello and welcome to our new physics development blog – Studio-397
    Updating HDV and TBC files – Studio-397
    Engine model and gear ratio restrictions – Studio-397
    Diffusive Adhesion and Planar Compliances in Build 1098 – Studio-397
    UltraChassis (Chassis Flex) – Studio-397UltraChassis (Chassis Flex) – Studio-397
    Steering System, Force/Torque Distributions, and Some Little Bits – Studio-397
    Tyres… The Big One. (Part I) – Studio-397
    Tyres… The Big One. (Part II) – tTool & Batch Testing – Studio-397
    Tyres… The Big One. (Part III) – Realtime Model Batch Tests – Studio-397

A short break in articles and then we have
    Return of the development blog, point-based accelerations for TGM (QSA) analysis. – Studio-397
    rF2 Physics Calculator Rejuvenated – Studio-397
    Off the beaten trail. New off-road tyre features. (Build 1110) – Studio-397
    tTool (realtime model) tyre analysis improvements (Build 1110) – Studio-397

If you consider these articles to be important to your modding effort, I suggest making yourself a local copy since you seem unable to find them when they haven't moved in the past 4.5 years. Now get to work on understanding what is out there.

11. gianluca

gianluca Registered

The competitors are iRacing, ACC, AC, AMS2, Raceroom, Project Cars. These games use a different tire model and the developers pay the licenses and can get the same details that are sold to S397. What would be the advantage for them to see the tgm of the McLaren GT3, if they decided from the go to use a different tire model and use also a different physics engine. Even if some sims use an evolution of the RF1 ISI engine, it's now different from that and different from the one used by RF2.
    And, again, most of the tgm of the tires used by the RF2 cars are available online. If that would have possibly caused a legal problem or the risk of sensible data being stolen by greedy modders or shady competitors, ISI would have removed them long time ago.
    What is the risk for S397 to share a basic slick or road tire, with dry and wet alternative, with the same size of the ones used by the Mini, but not identical to these? The risk that I can choose a Mini made by the modders instead of their paid DLC?

nolive721 likes this.
  12. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

maybe the risk that everybody can see their faults?

PatientRF2fan likes this.