Renault Megane World Trophy

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by mesfigas, Feb 1, 2019.

1. lagg

lagg Registered

ISI gave permissions to modify all their content.
    Now the things are changing, but we don't have to forget that moding is in the DNA of rF2.

Corti, Mydriaz, Juergen-BY and 2 others like this.
  2. Lukas Lichten

Lukas Lichten Registered

Let me be the guy that comes in way after the party is over:
    I find it mildly ironic that the guy, who made Goodwood, would have such a position against modding... Rather interesting...

But, by the way, here is the original thread of the mod:
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/rmegane-world-trophy-mod.48077/

The car has not been updated since September 2017, with DX11 wip at that time. And while I tested the car and I did not find anything graphically wrong, I do not run post processing, therefor I can "survive" non dx11 content.

But this car is not the Renault Megan Trophy anymore, this mod is very much something else:
    660 Hp (from 380hp 2013 version), no more ice racing, open adjustments for gearbox, rear diff, engine mix and tire compound, optional DRS and AWD and, most important, dope ass rally lights
    For reference, around Toban, the car does 1:24s (Hard Tire, full fuel, RWD, No DRS), the official GT3 do 1:32s (race trim, a good driver can get them to or close to sub 30s in race trim) and the offical Megan (with endurance upgrade) does 1:35s

The tires here have actually less grip then the official Megan, which has 3.5 gripfrac to 3.3 gripfrac on softs and 3.16 on hard. Also the tire wear drop off is significantly more aggressive then on the official (normally tires degrade 2% grip down till 10% are of them left, then they drop off hard, the softs here degrade till 61% a total of 3% of their grip, and then drop off by 10%, the hards however degrade steadily 8% over the entire tire life). The rate at which the rubber is taken off the tire is however higher in the official then the World Trophy car's softs. This does not mean the wear rate is incredibly low, but more in line with with the modern S397 releases (the GT3 are still easier on their Softs then the World Trophy on his Hards)

But still the car feels grippy, compared to the offical, and as described, it does not feel like it is on ice, were it just randomly, without warning, wants to kill you, which the offical one does. And this is remarkable, considering that this version has nearly double the power.
    The offical Megan is not alone in that aspect, a good amount of older ISI cars, like the Nissan 370z have this caracteristic, which makes them incredibly unpleasant to drive (I had an infamous race with the 370z at Indy in SRCA, and it rained, and the car was pleasant for me to control in the wet then in the dry). You have to setup the car to be driveable, rather then optimizing it for a track. The Megan is probably the lowest offender out of the collection, the 370z and Nissan GTR GT500 take the cake in this regard.
    In this regard, ironically enough, the World Trophy is a good replacement for the GT500 when you want to do SuperGT style endurance racing with the GT3

So, after praising this mod, let me tear it apart, as there are a host of errors in this mod:
    -The engine looses power in the higher engine mixtures. This is the same misstake that the old version of the Apex GT3 Mod had, whereby the car is run overly rich by running it past 1.0 (and not adjusting the fuel air mix table to compensate, but running it up to 1.0 is recommend as a way to implement). In general 15 mixtures are way too many, 4 or 5 are a better number
    -AWD reduces the weight of the car from 1077.5kg to 1037.5kg (it should increase the weight by 30kg, but in the last weight adjustments the AWD weight was not changed)
    -Driverswap is not simultaneous (like in the base version, meaning you have to wait an additional 25s every driverswap)
    -Isn't the engine to powerful? It should be the RS01 Engine with 542 HP from the patch notes, but the 1.2 bar turbo was not included in the math, or at least it seams like that, because the car produces 1.2 times the power with 660 HP. Not that this makes the car bad, perhaps just the patchnotes need a tweak
    -Closing the radiator is OP. You can drop 0.24 drag off the car from no tape to full tape (The offical car will drop 0.01 drag, dropping the rear wing from P9 to P1 reduces the drag by 0.1). The brake ducts also drop a high 0.012 from fully open to fully closed (offical does 0.04). Dropping the rear wing however only reduces drag by 0.05 (so significantly less then the offical). This has to be rebalanced to reduce the effectiveness of the radiator drag reduction and brake ducts and increase the rear wing.
    -TC is (because you could not do it in the modern way) the old way, that means you can tweak the TC setting in the setup page (not in the car), and you have to turn on the TC Aid via the F-keys (which can be used on Low , Medium and High). This will add weight to the car (about 5.4kg on Low and 8.6kg on High). Now the question is, if the car is intended to be run with TC, then it should be included via the TC Map, and make it that people can adjust it on the fly in the car and also get the TC when they have the Aid turned off, or is the car intended to run without TC, then maybe make TC an Upgrade in the Upgrade Menu
    -Front Air Damm can be adjusted in pits while there is only one Setting, therefore it just wastes space in the pitmenu

There are other minor things, which I would personally do different, but they are not technically wrong, just a bit weird to do

So, lets put a conclusion to this before no one reaches the end of this post.
    But what is the conclusion? It is a good mod for sure, but it is not really a Megan Trophy car anymore. It has a fair list of errors, which do not stop a person from enjoying the mod in single player, and they could be fixed fairly easily.
    I came in with the expectation that this is a simply improved version of the Trophy car, with cool rally lights, but it is more a prototype race car that only shares the name and body work (and some suspension settings) with the original.

This is the bizarre beauty of modding: You can create strange things, which are perhaps not the real car, but in no way outside the boundaries of realism.
    And I kind of want to fix this beauty back together

Juergen-BY and Brack Jabham like this.
  3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

How is that position against modding ? I said that I am against in such modding that creates substitute to original content.

But it was said that permissions were given. More over you just said that it is completely different car, if it has nearly 2x power output. It is still confusing as I didn't notice any signs before that it is about different vehicle. My bad then.

As for physics of original ISI car. I find it mildly ironic that perhaps the best car physics in rF2 has been found to be in the need to be modified.

I understand that you dislike the fact that car has big range of grip variation, and perhaps you can't cope with it. You light up the tires - you'll have much less grip, you push too much drive force - you have slip, you slide - you don't have good grip. And you have very good base grip, which makes grip range very dynamic - something that makes driving difficult at the limit. Car is very planted, but tires starts speaking very fast if you abuse them. I find the car to be great, and very drivable. It obviously not a car which you can be very fast without a practice, or without concentration. ISI Megane is drivers car, a car which you first of all drive, but these days when car handling is secondary after handling the race it falls out of place, I guess... Simracers turns out to be not into challenges of car handling.

vava74 likes this.
  4. juanarg70

juanarg70 Registered

To me the car is insanely fast. More close to the Porsche GT3 R. Shouldn't it be more close to the porsche gt3 cup? Maybe I'm wrong here. The ffb and physics feels amazing though.

5. Nick9320

Nick9320 Registered

What an unexpected comeback :D

vava74 and Juergen-BY like this.
  6. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Its a FUN Car

juanarg70 likes this.