Released Caterham, Hyundai, Corolla and Mini Update Released

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Aug 12, 2022.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Took me a half hour to get the shift timing down smoothly, even did a few heel toe downshifts....I've NEVER done those before. The Mini remains....a Fun Fun drive.

2. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

Definitely some weird stuff going on with Steam updates... didn't get the Corolla one for over 20 hours from when this was posted...

3. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

I know the cooper had a more powerful engine and also an LSD, so not really a direct comparison to the one you owned, but still gotta ask, in yours was the torque steer really that bad, this one pulls to the left like its being dragged by a bull!

4. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I had a Cooper 'S' a long time ago, with the standard 76 bhp engine and torque steer was not a thing with that. I do remember going through a set of front tyres in about 3,000 miles of normal road use* though.

*relatively normal

5. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

My Mini used front wheels too, although I must admit that I played a lot with it, especially on secondary roads.....

what it meant does not turn the steering wheel even 450º, which are the degrees that I use in the simulator

6. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Generally, if I encounter substantial torque-steer with FWD cars, I increase the Damping (or possibly Friction) in my wheel-driver software. Such effect is applied at the servo with DD-wheels. I like it to have just a little torque-steer, as it helps provide a better sense of front grip-loss, directional control as well as reducing heat & tire wear.

7. Feer9

Feer9 Registered

Did I read correctly? Have we finally got to the first ever car in rF2 with an attempt to mimic a manual gearbox? What a day to be alive!

juanchioooo and mantasisg like this.
  8. rlaycock

rlaycock Registered

Hi
    No. The one I owned did not have this tendency, you could certainly feel a pull to a side under acceleration but not to the extent of this one. I also feel there is a little lack of other force feel back feel re traction with the road etc. I felt the Caterham also had a lack of feeling with the road. However the Caterham, after the 1.05 update is now perfect for me. One of my favored sim racing cars.
    My other slight concern is more with RF2 in general. Some cars seam to have low resolution image in the mirror, however the Mini would appear to be the worst of the lot.

On a separate point I love your you tube videos. Keep them coming. Entertaining friendly and informative

Best wishes
    Bob a OLD Kiwi and ex Mini owner.

9. rlaycock

rlaycock Registered

The statement re mini using front tyres rings true to me as well.
    I remember replacing either parts of the drum brakes or front tyres far too often.
    However the car was a bucket load of fun, it felt like it was doing 100 mph all the time when it was more like 50 mph.
    It was actually lack of brakes or issues with brakes that eventually convinced me to sell the car, when I final grew up and had a young family.

Best wishes.
    Bob

juanchioooo likes this.
  10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I ran the Mini for a few laps at the League Friendly Spa, and did about 6 laps, the tires were still at 100%.

11. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

If the real mini had as much torque steer as this mini there would have been a lot of dead mini drivers. I drive a Saab Turbo 95 Aero with 250-bhp which is front wheel drive and driving around the Highlands of Scotland enthusiastically, I have never felt torque steer to this extent. I know it's a heavier car and has larger wheels which may cancel out some of the torque steer but this mini is just silly at the moment. I don't think Paddy Hopkirk would have won the Monti Carlo Rally in this mini. I'm not normally critical of S397 but this mini is just not believable. I normally find rF2 to be the most believable of all the sims. No consumer sim can truly replicate how a real car feels no matter what any body says. It's just a matter of believability. Please sort it S397.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
    rlaycock likes this.
  12. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Point of information: because of the tight homologation rules Hopkirk's Mini would have less power and no LSD. Remember that he was disqualified in 1966 for having the wrong bulbs in his headlights, even with a "blueprinted" engine I doubt if he had 80 BHP. Checking my facts, the car he won in had the 1071cc engine so even less power.

13. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

you certainly looked like you were going to space with the Mini, a lot of sense of speed

14. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Emery likes this.
  15. Emery

Emery Registered

Torque steer on a fwd car is affected by where the turn center is in relation to the tires. On a car where the tires are offset outwards, like this Mini, there will be an increased torque steer effect. I'd also refer folks to "How to Modify Your Mini" by David Vizard, 1977, pages 145-150 cover the limited slips available in period (Jack Knight made a ZF-type and British Leyland Special Tuning made a Salisbury-type, with clutch & cam).

"Until this type diff [Salisbury-type] warms up in use and, in fact, runs itself in for a bit, it is esceedingly snatchy and you can find the car very often six feet or more across the road than you intended -- and also you tend to weave around like a Mayfly."
    - page 148

Seven Smiles likes this.
  16. wrff.tiger@gmail

wrff.tiger@gmail Registered

I just noticed that in the Ford Focus ST BTCC the driver has to sit really low in the car in order to be able to view the shift lights above the HUD in the car. It seems the wheel should be raised so that the driver can be able to sit in a higher position in the car and still not have the shift lights obscured by the wheel. I have only found this to be a problem in the Ford. The Toyota, Hyundai and Infiniti seem fine. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm talking about in VR.

17. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

In my 2015 Cooper S I get a shed ton of toque steer!