Released Caterham Academy

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That's what FFB mult is for. The change isn't just about caster, either, even with the same caster the FFB has changed between versions (I think for the better; not sure if there's too much grip which is a whole other discussion). I think the 6 deg caster is to please the masses; lower caster will give more feel indeed.

2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Laptimes are pretty good indication of grip.

Kelju_K likes this.
  3. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Yes, it's not only about caster, but with a lower caster I get something more similar to what I remember from the first version, and I like it more too.

I know it's the same as using the multiplier, but those people that complain about FFB are those thinking that having to change a FFB setting means the car is broken. If they had a gorgeously named "Enhanced FFB"/"Boost FFB" option, they might be better pleased and enjoy it without overthinking it.

Kelju_K likes this.
  4. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Better yet, allow for ffb-multiplier adjustment on the fly, by button or dial assignment, saved per car as most other sim-titles.

Al least, we don't have to exit completely out of session to the main menu to adjust ffb-strength but, it's so much more efficient to do it while driving, especially in cases like the Academy.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
  5. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

I would be especially interested to know what are the most frequently used caster values in real life in the Cat Academy (@MileSeven , @Seven Smiles perhaps?).

I would use them without asking myself the question of which values offer the best feeling.

I'm amazed to see that after 6 years S397 still hasn't implemented this feature.

memoNo1 likes this.
  6. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

I have to say, I find it amazing the concentrated expertise that prevails here!
    Not only that certain experts here have in-depth knowledge of all complex physical processes in motorsport and in rF2.
    And also about the driving behavior of these vehicles.
    No!
    They also know that the "general" crowd (which I count myself among) not only have no idea about proper motorsport driving, they have no knowledge of FFB, or any other laws of physics.
    They know that we use SimRacing as pseudo bodybuilding.
    It seems to me that these experts are almost unbeatable, at least in motorsport and Simracing!
    So I ask myself, "Why haven't these gentlemen created their own sim before?"
    The FFB is too weak for me! Point!
    Something is wrong. Point!
    This discussion has been going on for days now.
    But it's going in a direction I don't like.
    I know how to push a vehicle into a curve almost without a steering wheel.
    Works great with the Caterham!
    However, it has an FFB like a hollow toothpick!
    If someone likes it, great!
    But stop pumping your egos up with your in-depth expertise and being abusive towards others!
    Yes, I feel addressed.
    Of course, that's rubbish, that FFB set via the caster. That is not the point and purpose of the thing!
    Again, there is just something wrong with the car.
    Normally I want to ignore something like this, but slowly enough!

Havner, dylbie, azaris and 1 other person like this.
  7. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Big ego here.

Oh well...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
  8. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

vehicles with little weight cannot have a hard FFB, I like it a lot, so the best thing is to enjoy the content, but it's funny to hear them talk about reality and then they go against an AI that never drives real...

enjoy the content and don't think twice about the FFB topic

9. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

https://www.academyracer.co.uk/setup-morning-notes-for-the-absent/
    But
    so I would think it won't amount to a lot of degrees.

I haven't heard of any track day warriors doing a lot to adjust it, there aren't many that adjust the camber! In my case I just adjust the dampers and maybe the front ride height (which is easy to adjust on my particular car).

pilAUTO and juanchioooo like this.
  10. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

good contribution phenomenon:);):D

11. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

The build manual suggests 4 degrees +/- 1 degree for *road* use. The Academy cars will have exactly the same range and method of adjustment as the road cars. I’ve seen suggestions that each washer accounts for approx. 0.5degs of variation - but whether this is a measured value or just reverse engineered from the build manual info. I don’t know.

Emery, Kelju_K and Seven Smiles like this.
  12. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

Seven Smiles likes this.
  13. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

One thing I do recall from talking with the 2017 Academy winner was that although there was only one permitted type of tyre there was nothing to stop him having 6 sets and using whichever set seemed to work best on the day. I think he kept the set with the deepest tread for wet races.

juanchioooo likes this.
  14. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

The regs (for 2022) state - rather cryptically - “
    It is permissible to adjust front camber to a maximum of 3° (negative) and castor angles by means of the adjustable length top wishbone provided and by shimming the lower wishbone with washers.”

There’s a bit of debate what this actually means! Current interpretation is that this only defines the camber limit and just says you can use any combination of shims you wish for castor.

The regs also say “It is permitted to substitute the standard lower wishbone front mounting bolt with a longer bolt of a similar specification.” - there’s a suggestion that this might significantly extend the range of adjustment.

15. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

16. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

I'm not talking about a hard FFB.
    It's just way too subtle.
    We have drivers who have experience with these or at least similar vehicles.
    Do these vehicles actually have such soft steering wheel feedback as the S397 Caterham?

@Seven Smiles
    @MileSeven

17. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

You're welcome to continue playing, but you can't twist the facts.
    It's been going on here for days, at some point it has to be enough.
    But you're the kind of person who never seems to know the end.

18. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Look at that video from the academy, from the official link that the colleague passed, how the pilot turns the steering wheel and visually calculates the force exerted...I really don't see him fight with his steering wheel... although it may be my misjudgment
    the steering wheel does not turn even 450º

https://forum.studio-397.com/index....corolla-and-mini-update-released.72519/page-2

19. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

I think you can see some definite loading in some corners in your video - obvious over the kerbs but also mid corner some times where you can see a wriggle through the wheel.

I still maintain that I expect more feedback in terms of both detail and overall forces.

Not sure if I’ve shared this video on this forum - this was me on my first competitive hillclimb. Watch the feedback through the wheel…

Havner, Travis, Emery and 3 others like this.
  20. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

I thank you.
    I think that says it all.

These lines are not addressed to you.

It's just annoying when I'm dealing with my passion, the rF2 forum is part of that, that again and again degenerating insults come about.
    Everyone has their opinion.
    If our opinions don't agree with each other, is that a reason to get downright pejorative?
    Don't we all have enough stress these days?
    Where is the sensitivity?
    Ok, the FFB is a bit weak.
    No worry, S397 will definitely fix that.
    We all make mistakes, i make a lot of them.
    But please, let's treat each other with a little bit more respect.
    We all love motorsport, SimRacing and rF2.
    Let's enjoy it together.