A tip to reduce the space taken from RF2 on your disk.

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by gianluca, Aug 13, 2022.

1. gianluca

gianluca Registered

Hi guys, I don't think everybody knows this, so I make a post.
    Will be a long read, sorry.

When you install content from the workshop, Steam keeps a copy of the content in its library, so if your RF2 copy uses lot of workshop items (and the DLC are workshop items), the game ends up to take lot of space on disk. What you think is a 30GB installation, instead can be a 50-60GB installation.

The workshop items are downloaded as rfcmp package files and stored in the folder:
    steam\steamapps\workshop\content\365960\

The game installed content is stored in the folders:
    steam\steamapps\common\rfactor2\installed\locations or vehicles

This means that if you have Sebring and the Nurburgring DLCs, they will take 10GB of space instead of 5GB. Just check it, you'll see.

Can we delete the content inside the 365960 folder without deleting automatically the same content stored in the Locations and Vehicles folders? No. If we do so, the first time that we will launch the game, it will download the rfcmp files again, because we are subscribed to them.
    The only way to have the workshop content installed without also having the rfcmp copy of it is this:
    • subscribe to what you like (the paid DLC are automatically subscribed)
    • go in steam\steamapps\workshop\content\365960 and copy the rfcmp files inside the numbered folders
    • move them inside the steam\steamapps\common\rfactor2\packages\ folder
    • unsubscribe from the workshop items and launch the game to let it know; it will delete the content installed (not the DLCs)
    • go in the manage content tab of the game
    • select the non-installed content that you want to install and install it
    • some content has multiple rfcmp files, with an increasing numeration; select and install first the one with the lower number
    • will take time, depending on the amount of content
    • when you are done, delete the rfcmp files from the Packages folder.

To avoid having to install every rfcmp I tried also this next method, but didn't work:
    • subscribe to worskshop item
    • launch the game, so that the content is installed
    • exit the game, go to the Locations or Vehicles folder where the workshop item has been installed and move its folder to, say, the desktop
    • go to steam and unsubscribe to that content
    • launch the game and then exit
    • move back the folder we put in the desktop to where it was
    • launch the game and see if the car/track is in game
    • the game won't show it, so the only way is the method described before.

It's a pain in the a$$, but this procedure can help the players who have a small SSD to optimize the space, especially with the workshop content that we know that isn't supposed to be updated frequently: like the S397 content or the old tracks and cars.
    Beware: with the method described the workshop items won't update automatically when the author releases an update.
    One can always add some workshop items to its favourites and check them once in a while, to see if they have been updated.
    And when this happens, just do this:
    • delete the folder of the updated item from the rfactor 2\Installed folder
    • subscribe to the workshop item
    • don't launch the game and go straight in the 365960 folder
    • find the rfcmp files and move them in the Packages folder
    • unsubscribe from the workshop item
    • launch the game, go in Manage Content and install the item
    • close the game and delete the rfcmp file from the Packages folder

Beware, this doesn't work with the DLC content. Once you pay for it, you can't unsubscribe from the workshop and do the procedure described. The game will always download and reinstall the DLC content.
    Don't know whose fault is, if it's something that can be addressed by Steam or by the game developers, but the way this system work is nonsense. It's a huge waste of space.
    Non everybody can buy 1TB SSD just for games.

And finally a suggestion for the people who still sport regular mechanical hard disks: put them in stripe, you will double, triple or quadruple their read and write speed.
    Could be a solution for the people with a single 250/500GB SSD. Also, the workshop folder with the rfcmp files could be moved there and use a "symbolic link folder" to trick Steam and make it think that instead it's still in steam\steamapps\workshop\content\.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
    rand777, Corti and atomed like this.
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Corti, atomed and gianluca like this.
  3. gianluca

gianluca Registered

I was just trying the program "Link Shell Extension". It's free and works also with Win 11.
    And symbolic link works.
    I did this:
    • download the program Link Shell Extension and install it
    • it may needs some microsoft visual c++ library and you can download it from the same place where can be downloaded the LSE program (but most likely your Windows version has it already installed)
    • go in the folder c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\workshop\content\ and move the folder 365960 in the disk that you want
    • then right click on it and choose Pick Link Source
    • go back to c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\workshop\content\
    • right click inside the folder and choose Drop as --- Symbolic Link
    • from now on, the workshop items will be stored in the disk where you moved the 365960 folder
    I guess there is always something to learn. :)
    The solution described in the previous post, though, is still useful for the people who don't have two or more disks.

By the way, I have a Steam Library in another disk and I just moved the 365960 folder from
    c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\workshop\content\
    in
    e:\program files (x86)\steam library\steamapps\workshop\content\

Worked like a charm.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
    rand777 and atomed like this.
  4. gianluca

gianluca Registered

And this is how to put your hard disks in stripe.

Stripe works like Raid 0, but is done inside Windows and not from the motherboard bios.
    This is useful for the people who has a bunch of mechanical hard disks and want to use them as a backup disk or a gaming disk, for games that don't need the speed of the SSD or that need lot of storage. And we just saw how symbolic links can help on this regard.

This is a simple guide:

How it works? If you have, say, two 500GB hard disks and you stripe them, you will have as a result a 1TB disk, with the write and read speed equal to the sum of those of the single disks.
    It won't be as fast as an SSD, but faster than a single one.
    Doesn't have to be old notebook disks, but could if needed. Or could be two or more 1TB WD Blue7500 rpm disks, for example.

Remember: before filling the disks, right click on the icon of the new dynamic disk and choose if you want to enable or disable the indexing.

My experience on this: I had a computer problems a couple of times and had to resinstall windows on the main drive, without having the ability to see inside the striped disks. But I didn't lost my data.
    Once you start the new installed system, you can't see the old striped disks. Go in the Disk Management, right click on one of those disks and Windows will allow you to make it dynamic again, selecting also the other drives that were connected to it. Then the striped disk will be visible again, with all its content.

5. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Thanks for sharing ...

If you install rfcmp in packages folder and not steam, they won't auto update, won't they ?
    You will need to make updates by yourself ? How ?

Symbolic links on a NTFS or FAT disk can screw your disk cause they are "hard links" and not "soft links" like on Linux sytems.
    It can result on file or folders you will never be able to erase for example and need to format all disk ...
    Maybe it is better on last Windows versions ...

6. gianluca

gianluca Registered

Yes, they won't update, it needs to be done manually. (I added this note also in the first post)

You have to delete the car or track folder from the Locations and Vehicles RF2 folder. Go and subscribe to the workshop item. Don't launch the game and go in the folder steamapps\workshop\content\365960\, find the folder with the item rfcmp files. Move them to the Packages folder. Launch the game and install it. Close it and delete the rfcmp.
    It's a freaking boring process, but for someone with a small disk can be very useful.

Now, this is kinda scary. Don't know about that. :)
    But if it's a disk used just for non important stuff and that can be downloaded again, for some people could be not a big deal and still worth it.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
    DanRZ likes this.
  7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, it's pretty trouble-free now. My only hiccup was when one of my hard disks died and I didn't realise - suddenly rF2 wasn't working, and my workshop folder couldn't be opened. I actually had to ask others where their workshop 'folder' linked to before realising it wasn't meant to link anywhere - and then remembered I'd had it linked to a HDD for years.

DanRZ likes this.
  8. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Thanks. It's just similar to managing a dedicated server and its content ... boring too ...