Released Caterham Academy

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Aug 4, 2022.

1. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Thats probably dead last issue about this.

Haris1977 likes this.
  2. Goanna

Goanna Registered

I reckon Steam is being a biatch, Studio can’t even attach image;
    765F9249-6DCB-4DA9-866E-1704A9DEF089.jpeg

3. Comante

Comante Registered

@MileSeven , on which track did you drive the virtual Caterham? Maybe the problem is not the car, but the track surface . Maybe it will feel right at Sebring to you.
    In my feeling, even if laserscanned, most tracks are too smooth and their grip levels are too uniform across the surface.

4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

This is cursed release lol Studio might as well have ran into some sort of steam bug. Something probably is corrupting an update, and perhaps it could be related to that thumbnail image lol

5. Maarten Nauta

Maarten Nauta Registered

What is a bit strange is that a "setup change" is needed to get decent FFB. For me this points to the fact that sliders are needed to customize FFB by exgarerating certain effects. People say "yeah this is just the real FFB coming from steering rack etc" but if its not very useful for certain cars then maybe customization is needed. A setup change, as is done in this patch, has the effect of changing e.g. tyre wear etc which might be undesirable.

Mind you I remember a similar issue on the Porsche GT3 at Spa in ACC where you had to fiddle with caster to remove some annoying rumble on the straight.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Unless the tyre changes mentioned are fairly significant I don't think the caster change is groundbreaking. But maybe my experience is unusual - because it feels like the tyres are unstable and giving some nasty feedback. Without that the 'nominal max torque' could probably be lower and boost the average forces anyway. But I'm speculating.

Maarten Nauta likes this.
  7. CIP060

CIP060 Registered

but this Catheram v 1.05 arrives or not?

8. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

@Lazza Tire sidewalls stiffness might have an impact for FFB feel. But can't wait to chack if it will. And it also probably will have all around better grip, so more grip surely will give abit more force. And it was added to note they decreased groove grip gain, obviously to keep top pace roughly same.

[​IMG]

IRL they definitely run low caster to be able to steer faster. And boy do you need to steer it a lot and fast when you go for real with it.

And @Bernat wrote excelent post about FFB in this thread 183th post. Keep in mind this is intended for rookies. So assuming most of them don't run 15+Nm servo motors. Additionally to that I bet the top fastest guys never run their FFB super strong anyway. Why ? To do better laptimes. There is certain aim for making Competition System hotter with this car.

I wish more attention was to the handling of the car, than to arbitrary feel of forces than can be altered IRL too with minor adjustments.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
    Bernat and atomed like this.
  9. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

We’ve been testing mainly at Cadwell and Rouen - they’ve been good tracks to us in the past. I’ll give it a wider range of outings when the Hotfix is through. For what it’s worth, I drove the Cooper at the same tracks (even had offline AI races with mixed Cooper/Caterham grids…) and the Cooper was fine.

10. CIP060

CIP060 Registered

But does anyone have the installation file ???
    S397 may release rfcmp file for everyone
    He could put it to download and people install it
    then when he is in the workshop he will do the usual subscription

but do you have version 1.05 installed?
    pass it to everyone if it's free there are no problems

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, I wouldn't rule out some improvement, but I think what I don't like about the tyres (without any actual reference for it, just my feeling) is within the construction rather than the realtime parameters they've probably tweaked. Fingers crossed though ;)

12. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Maybe, for Ttool I have no understanding. But sidewall stiffness is sidewall stiffness :D I think it will actually be real time parameters changed. I never baked tire with ttool, but I have heard it is HOURS HOURS of computing..

13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Nobody has v1.05 yet, that I know of.

14. FERNANDO CABRERA

FERNANDO CABRERA Registered

I have not received the update.
    Last night I have it a try again and was unable to catch the rear sniping.
    Been a rdw is critical to feel the car rear in the ffb to drive fast.
    The caterham 7 mod in the workshop has communicative ffb and although is far from been an easy drive, you can feel the limit and play with it, in the s397 caterham academy is simply mute in ffb using a dd wheel whit the setup that works for all other models.
    I leave out ffb from kerbs, grass or impact. Those forces don't reflect the driving behavior of the car and forces that goes through it.
    And please don't tell me to mess whit setups. The car should be drivable by default and got it is is far from it... If not then happens what I'm doing, using other mods... or worst... other sims and the player base keep diminishing.

Havner likes this.
  15. benborp

benborp Registered

You can't expect the same FFB profile to work across all cars in a sim that attempts to simulate a FFB signal from the physical forces acting upon the suspension geometry of the car.
    It's not a valid criticism to expect a high downforce, slick shod, wide contact patch, power steering equipped car to work with the same configuration as a lightweight car designed as an introduction to track racing for novices.

Bernat and JamesB like this.
  16. Ricardo Diz

Ricardo Diz Registered

Anyone know the steering wheel size for Caterhams? Google was not friendly :rolleyes:

17. SunBro

SunBro Registered

260mm

Ricardo Diz and juanchioooo like this.
  18. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Usually 260 or 280

Ricardo Diz and juanchioooo like this.
  19. Ricardo Diz

Ricardo Diz Registered

Thank you! That’s pretty small and I guess it justifies a lot of the comments :)

20. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I just turned on the game the sim. Guess whats in, 1.05 :D

Edit:
    Just ran few laps in Mores in singleplayer. IDK how much different session temperatures and grip was comparing to competition system event, but I guess it might be easily 1second faster at 1minute racetrack like that. probably more than a second, I improved my PB by a second with less effort than I did my previous best laptime.

IDK about feel, perhaps a bit more is coming from FFB. I think those with powerful wheels should be more able to tell a difference.

The car is certainly less floaty, more precise, quicker to react. It is a bit less like 50s racecar now, little bit more like late 60s maybe early 70s, not with slicks of course :D I am personally a big fan of 50s racecars, I think it will act more like previous version with more tire wear or with worse grip conditions.

AND THE WHEELS ARE THERE, car seems to be 2x wider now due to that, I think it might add to better pace as it is better to hit apexes and more info for steering as you just simply see the wheel angles and stuff.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022