SOLVED rF2, Assetto Corsa, and Sherlock Holmes: The Devils Daughter, Will Not Launch/Start.

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Tooma Mac, Aug 10, 2022.

1. Tooma Mac

Tooma Mac Registered

I have these three games, all of which worked fine up until about 6 weeks ago, which would not launch. I particularly wanted rFactor 2 and AC running as sim-racing and trucking are just about all I do in gaming, and all the other games ran fine. No exaggeration, I have spent from 1 to 6 hours every day for the past 4 weeks searching down every post anywhere on the subject, including hours spent looking at files, and trying all sorts, including checking Windows, deleting and re-installing many files, and I shall spare you all the lengthy details.

Today, I had the thought, again, that the problem with all 3 games is connected, especially AC which would start to load, then announce, "No video modes available" in a white box, centre screen. rF2 would just flash a small start screen for half a second, then close down. The parameter thing has nothing to do with it, btw. So, of course I had also twice thoroughly deleted the Nvidia drivers and re-installed them, as well as removing The Experience app, so I changed tack to hunt down a solution for AC again, and I came across a post where a chap changed his TV settings, from a fixed rez to, Just Scan - and - he fixed his non-starter problem; I forget which game it was. Anyway - here is THE FIX - THE SOLUTION - to the problem with all 3 games, as I was inspired to look again at my TV settings once more.

I use an LG Oled set, and it has a very low latency Game Mode which I use, but no Just Scan setting, however, just before the troubles started I now remembered trying out HDMI Ultra HD Deep Colour - on the TV port my PC connects to. I switched the setting off. I then tried to start rF2 - IT WORKED! I then tried the Sherlock Holmes game - IT WORKED too, as did AC - with everything back to normal. SORTED!

So fellow gamers, you know what to check next. Best wishes.

PS: I found the chap who got me thinking about TV-PC connections again; it was on Race Dept.
    Cheers, Gers. https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/no-video-mode-available.134958/

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
    DJCruicky and atomed like this.
  2. atomed

atomed Member

Thanks for sharing this.

Tooma Mac likes this.
  3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

So glad you figured it out. My first thought was a Windows update that broke something. This would have been a long road trying to find something that would help. Well done.

Tooma Mac likes this.
  4. Tooma Mac

Tooma Mac Registered

Thanks, Dave. I was following your thread looking for a fix, lol. I'm sitting here with a glass o red, and bathing in my success, probably with a daft satisfied grin on my face. I hope my post is useful to other frustrated folks. :)

atomed, davehenrie and juanchioooo like this.