SOLVED Left eye flickers in VR with Porsche GT3 Cup car

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by AFreak, Jul 17, 2022.

1. AFreak

AFreak Registered

The left eye goes black for a short moment when I drive the Porsche GT3 Cup car. It is on every track and it is only with that car. It seems that the left eye goes black for a short moment when other cars go over the start/finish line. I am on version 1128 with a HP Reverb G2. It was a session with 19 AI Porsche GT3 Cup Cars.

2. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Same here.

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

We need to bring this to the attention of the S397 employee in charge of VR. @OneEyeHarry. :)

memoNo1 likes this.
  4. Magus

Magus Registered

Same for me, happeds with the Porsche GT3 Cup car as well with the Porsche Cayman GT4 mod. I wonder if there is some shared assetts between the 2 causing the problem in VR.

5. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Same for me!
    Old Rift.

6. vava74

vava74 Registered

I would contribute with this query:
    - perhaps this is linked with the horrible flicker I get on the setup page when making any side to side movement, while in the garage?

7. Encountered just the same yesterday after giving my Rift S another chance - have not used it for a long time. Menu screen is kind of flickering (sometimes unstable moving like a sail) and also while being on track I have the impression the picture is not really stable; it is more like a moving canvas ... hard to describe.

Everything was stable with the older release from Q1 afaik.

memoNo1 likes this.
  8. vava74

vava74 Registered

The flickering on the setup menu, for me, happens since the new UI was introduced...

memoNo1 likes this.
  9. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Same here...

10. Hm ... I am not sure, because I have not used the Rift since December last year I think and some weeks ago it was just a testing without watching carefully.

Today I decided to use openComposite and beside a performance increase everything looks a bit running smoother while on track - the UI stopped (more or less) flickering after reducing its size / resolution to around 1280x1024 or so.

11. Hazi

Hazi Registered

By accident I had a VR framecounter active and so I noticed a big drop in frames from 90 to about 10 in the first Car Setup Menue - and only there - and only in VR. (reported problem). At this menue I hear the motor noise of the other cars doing laps and it seems like a big stutter in the background too.

vava74 likes this.
  12. I know that framecounters and other analytic software may cause problems like frame drops and flickering or stuttering - it seems to be worse at the moment as the same moment I am activating a framecounter with my Rift S I cannot get 80 FPS even if I lower all of the graphic settings.

I also encountered everything above "trilinear filtering" makes it even worse - tested on Zandvoort which I know was pretty smooth in VR I could not get more than 60 FPS average seeing 67 to 71 around most corners and even less on start / finish line.

So at the moment I would suggest all I can do is to check it out by personal impression without any measurement tool.

13. Hazi

Hazi Registered

I know and don`t use such tools. I have those slow downs without the FPS counter too, just wanted to report.

14. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Do you only get it in cockpit view? I tried to reproduce this yesterday and couldn't get it to happen.

15. Stevy

Stevy Registered

Wednesday was the first time I had the exact same issue, while driving the radical in the CS GT3 Sprint Series.
    I thought my OG HTC Vive is going to die lol.
    Just the left eye and at random times.
    Couldn't find a cloue that it just happend when cars passing the s/f line.

Yesterday while doing a test race on the Nordschleife with the Alpine the same again.
    At random times just the left side.

After reading this thread for the first time I thought it could be related to this problem:
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index....up-roll-cage-flickering-at-night-in-vr.64627/
    because just the Porsche Cup is mentioned, but after having the same issue with different cars it looks like it's a bit bigger.

I don't know if logs could help or anything.

Justifier and atomed like this.
  16. Daniel Erstling

Daniel Erstling Registered

Also did a test race on Nordschleife yesterday, I was on a TCR mod car (Seat Leon), once in a while I've had again the flickerings.
    As there are porsche cup cars on the field some of them were there when the test race was running, I think it's not the issue with driving the porsche cup itself, but whenever any porsche cup cars are on the track and cross s/f line. at least the flickerings appeared shortly on after the other and only for a few seconds, so I'm guessing whenever those cars drove within a few seconds to each other. I couldn't verify if indeed these were the causing cars or if it's already a bigger problem now (meaning other cars causing it now too, maybe).
    we had the following cars / classes on track: gt3, gt4 (alpine + porsche cayman), porsche cup, tcr (mod), historic dtm, renault clio cup.
    this event currently uses the 1130 release candidate branch. but at least with only porsche cups i could see this issue also on 1128 live build.

and to mention: never had this issue before until I've bought the porsche cup, just recently, for this event.
    gonna be an interesting 24h event if this happens for every lap while driving :rolleyes:

17. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Menue Problem in VR seems to be fixed finally - (might be the update today/yday) - can someone confirm?
    Did not check if the the Porsche problems got fixed.

18. Justifier

Justifier Registered

I have black frames inserted (like flickering) in the left eye of the Pimax replicated with two other Pimax users as we were in the FVR Supercars 2022 mod so I don't think the issue is just limited to one or two vehicles. Hope this bug is fixed soon as it is almost undriveable with a flickering left eye and some people are actually getting headaches trying to drive with it. Look forward to a fix very soon.

JimmyT likes this.
  19. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Yes, I have experienced this on a couple of servers and in single player with a range of vehicles on different tracks. I use HP Reverb G2. It is in the left eye and "seems to be more prevalent" (only my opinion) when you cross x-sectors and Xpitin, Xpitout or if someone else crosses the xmarkers.
    So on a server with a number of other drivers it becomes very distracting and difficult to drive.

Was this noticeable in the RC or is it something that has been addressed in there?

Justifier likes this.
  20. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Same in RC

JimmyT likes this.