Released Mini Cooper S Vintage Mk1

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Aug 3, 2022.

1. JamesB

JamesB Registered

Well I am trying to enjoy the Mini for wat it is. You should be able to "feel" everything through a Mini steering wheel and by that I mean detail, mine was the most communicative car I have ever had but that does not mean that the FFB should be strong and trying to wrench your arms off. I never found the that I had to wrench the wheel round, it was always easy but you still had the "feel".

Bernat likes this.
  2. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Maybe there's something wrong afterall but in the detail, not the strength. Good point.

3. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Although the Mini did not have power steering, it was always smooth, light cars like 650 kilos more or less, did not have hard steering, I do not know where they got that from, the direction of the mini was smooth and easy to carry, little weight in front, let's see if now we have to invent hard FBB, that is 100% unrealistic, I had it for more than ten years, probably the caterhan will be similar or even softer that it carries less weight in front

4. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

maybe it's the translator, I had it, or had it, in the past, not in the present, for ten years, from 83 to 93 or 94 more or less

5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I think the tire in the wet of this car is loosing too much traction. It is small narrow tire, at least in low speeds traction loss in wet should not be severe.

I haven't tried to purposely keep on driving on one side of wheels, but there seems tipping over point seems like it isn't incredibly gentle. Anyway I am glad that rF2 physics even allows to do any decent distance on side wheels. In Assetto Corsa I have always been bothered that anything over somethign like 20-30degs of car rolling for physics was a limitation, and they would never admit it lol

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2022
    Emery likes this.
  6. Emery

Emery Registered

Driving feel is what I remember, so no complaints there. It does seem to tip over a little too easily, like the CG is a tad high or the rubber is too grippy.

My grumpy side is still not happy due to the modern race seat, etc. I'd much rather the rF2 "classics" represent the past rather than a modern implementation. In the USA, for instance, Group 2 could remove bumpers and even in that Crystal Palace video you can see the bumpers are removed, so obviously club racers in GB were allowed to do so.

bears, vava74 and 2ndLastJedi like this.
  7. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Sometimes I wonder on this forum if people have actually driven cars IRL with no power steering.

Guys, a small sedan with little 195 street tyres and a small wheel is a WORKOUT at lower speeds. Yes once you get going the steering feels great and a bit lighter but it's never weak. And once you actually put some sticky rubber on it? Put it this way, no offence to the ladies but I know for an almost certain fact that my girlfriend absolutely would not have the strength to drive it, the steering is HEAVY man, there's a reason why power steering was invented.
    But, on the other hand, what do I know, I've never driven a Caterham. But I would bet that at lowish speed the steering would be pretty heavy, then lighten up a bit at speed but never feel loose and unstable.
    The ffb of the Caterham imo is WAY too weak to the point something feels NQR. Increasing caster and the ffb helps but it is still too light.
    Edit: I am assuming power steering is not simulated in the sim which to my knowledge it isn't.

8. JamesB

JamesB Registered

You note that this thread is about the Mini, not the Caterham? Also 2 of us had them
    and I used to race one!

juanchioooo likes this.
  9. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I've driven cars and trucks without power steering, but you have to understand that light cars turn the steering wheel easily, obviously in running order, heavy cars are no longer so easy.

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

+111111!!!!!

11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I want to race Mini and Caterham in comp system so much ! LET ME IN LOL

Hey, at WWT track, I was surprised that Caterham had lower top speed, at leas with default setup. Also Caterham was not that much faster than Mini, I think that with some balast those two could race one another.

12. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I am not sure if you are talking about the Caterham or the Mini, but they both have no power steering. As you allready mentioned, rF2 doesn't simulate power steering so what you feel on the steering wheel is not what you feel on the real wheel. I think both AC and ACC are doing that and it feels quite a bit numb at times while rF2 just simulates the forces on the steering rack. I drive cars without power steering quite often and I get what you mean, but that's not really how it's done in rF2. I've never driven a mini, but I suspect at lower speeds it's a good workout as well.

green serpent likes this.
  13. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Yeah, they're not too far off the same pace. I had hoped the Reiza Puma GTE might be similar pace but, not so much. I hope S397 bring some classmates for these cars.

14. green serpent

green serpent Registered

I was talking about the Caterham, I wrote my message at like 3am lol.
    I hope it gets updated because it's a blight on an otherwise stellar content drop.

15. DJChrizz

DJChrizz Registered

We drove yesterday the mini on some official Formula-E tracks. What a nice car :) so much fun and very good on the shorter E-Tracks.
    Don't take the curbs ... sometimes you are able to drive on 2 wheels :) haha

vava74 and atomed like this.
  16. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Registered

I don't know if my experience with a modern MINI(F56, 2017 MY, 1.5T B38) would be helpful: I have ADVAN SPORT V105 tires sized 215/45/17 in summer, R15 175/65/15 in winter (used to be the same size in summer). Even with the fact that the car has electric power steering, I immediately feel the switch to R15. And having ridden the vintage Austin MINI in RF2 for a bit, I feel like I'm driving my car IRL in the winter. This feeling is primarily due to the short base and narrow wheels.

17. azaris

azaris Registered

I quite like how the Mini drives, but the sound is a bit strange to me. It is very metallic and there is a lot of gearbox whine, which doesn't seem to be heard in the real-life onboards:

Maybe the excessive rear suspension bouncing could also be looked at? Doesn't happen in the videos. The slidy rear however is spot on.

RaceNut likes this.
  18. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Guauuu BMW 2002 ?

19. sg333

sg333 Registered

It's a fantastic drive once you figure it out. I had to soften the rear end to get it to cooperate. The AI do have this wierd rear end bounce like the rear wheels seem to come off the ground.

20. sg333

sg333 Registered

The audio in that video is so distorted I cant hear a thing the car is doing