Released Caterham Academy

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

4th to 2nd isn't "short shifting".

I would guess they have shift protection on to avoid engine braking exploits. If that's the case you should be able to shift 4th (or 5th) to 2nd when your speed is appropriate.

@RaceNut @Bill Worrel If they've implemented the baulk torque you won't be able to flat shift. Depending on timing you may need to wait a bit longer before reapplying the throttle (or releasing the clutch if you're using it) so the gears engage.

Unless they've snuck a big change in you won't actually require the clutch.

2. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

I couldn't shift without using the clutch unless I turned on auto clutch.

ebeninca likes this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I know what I'm doing this arvo :p

4. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

After you stop by Maccas for a cuppa and a choccy bikky?

5. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Just testing the new build with the full Q3 all in pack and the free Caterham. Im sure i read someone say they will not drive the new cars because they are right hand drive!! Why? As an Aussie most cars in sim racing are left hand drive, i should just park everything then!
    Well the Caterham at a wet Gateway is just a blast to drive, i miss being able to see the front wheel arches bouncing and moving under load but i h am sure S397 will fix this small render bug. Much fun to be had in the Caterham no matter which side the steering wheel is on ;)

Ozcanuck55 and RaceNut like this.
  6. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Has this been fixed? I had to use the clutch for shifting and it felt better than in other cars. Is this car H pattern or seq? I used H pattern with clutch without thinking.

7. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Great improvement, clutch to shift...

But the car feels very boat like, I don't have real life experience to know if its right. I ended up doing a very understeery setup with high caster to make this thing at least driveable, I see the possibilities here for fun online races.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't do Maccas :D

Just occurred to me the shift protection parameters do allow a clutch requirement, which worried me when I saw it because if you go that way you remove the potential for rev matching. Hopefully that's not what they've done here, or there's a subtlety to the settings I haven't accounted for, OR they're going to expand on it very soon.

ebeninca, Emery and Bill Worrel like this.
  9. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

My only point of comparison is the AMS1 and 2 and the rF2 version feels much more like AMS1 version where AMS2 feels much more boat like than either rF2 or AMS1. I hope not much changes in the way the rF2 version handles.

RaceNut likes this.
  10. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Silly question but IRL is this an H pattern shifter or sequential box?

11. wrff.tiger@gmail

wrff.tiger@gmail Registered

Caterham is so much fun to drive and produces outstanding racing. I do hope the front wheels showing from driver view gets fixed. It really takes away from the immersion.

ebeninca likes this.
  12. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Academy car rules say H pattern, sequential boxes are available for other Caterhams.

13. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

I’ll try it later today.

I’m fortunate enough to have owned a Caterham (ex-)Academy car for nearly 18 years and to have driven many tracks days and a couple of competitive events.

For what it’s worth (before having had the chance to try this vehicle in rf2, the only clutchless change you could realistically do in my car was 3rd to 4th (which is a straight pull back on the stick without any side movement in mine) - and that was with a slight modification to the ratios and a significantly lightened flywheel. It just happened to work out that the drop in revs (and the speed of the drop) matched the ratios and the time it took to pull the stick back. You’d still need to lift the throttle slightly to unload the box though - otherwise you’d struggle/fail to get out of 3rd at all.

Anyway, looking forward to trying it later!

Emery, RaceNut, Seven Smiles and 3 others like this.
  14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Paul McC @Bill Worrel @RaceNut

Ok, yep. Having now tried it, I suspect they've used the 'shift protection' clutch parameter. I've never tested it myself but I imagine this is what it would do. Can't engage a gear without the clutch, rev matching or not. Also, as you guys (and others) said, you strangely can't skip gears.

Afraid to say this feels like a "oh, you want to have to use the clutch? HERE!" moment... not a "Let's make this drive like the real thing" approach. And unfortunately, because this car works this way, a third party solution can't allow for rev matching or fix the (...er... unusual...) sequential-H-pattern shifting. Appears Baulk Torque hasn't been used, so those using sequential can keep it floored while those using H-pattern change gears.

I guess we've been looking for hybrids, so here's one. It's just a weird sequential-manual hybrid, not the power unit.

memoNo1 likes this.
  15. mixer61

mixer61 Registered

With the Caterham, it's very strange to feel the front end and not see it (in VR). The gearbox works very well without clutch.

16. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Yes wrong choice of words, what i meant was to go straight from 4th to 2nd without engauging 3rd. You can't do it at all, it won't even register, which is why I said its acting like a sequential box. That is shifting at an appropriate speed but i've tried it every which way from Sunday, and on a manual box there would be not shift protection. Its just wrong. Fingers crossed for a fix of that, the FFB, the windsreen going milky and never changing back after an inpact, and the missing wings. It does seem to drive well, but the FFB is just bizarre!

memoNo1 likes this.
  17. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Hmm. OK...

Well my initial impressions are as follows - given my real-world experiences....

i) Clutch works fine with an H-pattern gearbox and is very natural for me
    ii) Clutch is almost unworkable with flappy-paddles and a hand-clutch (which is how I sim-race these days - but the H-pattern works so well, it's just unfortunate)
    iii) Steering feel is waaaaay too light - There should be some weight at all speeds. I'm using a DD wheel (SC2 Pro) and the wheel forces are almost non-existent. I've upped them to around 120% - which gives much better weight - but also nasty vibrations at times.
    iv) No wheels in VR, really? I mean REALLY?
    v) Sounds - in the real vehicle, there will be plenty of induction and engine noise from the nose - but you're also *right* next to the exhaust - and there is nothing (that I can detect) coming from that. I guess I should probably also mention that there should be significant wind-noise as speeds increase - but that's possibly one bit of realism I can live without (especially as I wear hearing aids in both ears after tens of thousands of miles in these vehicles - and that was with hearing protection on every drive...)

So, a bit of work to do, methinks.

vava74, dylbie, TJones and 6 others like this.
  18. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

What about the realism of the driving/behaviour of the car ?

vava74, memoNo1 and mantasisg like this.
  19. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I expect fixes for this car during this week, if not today. For bare minimum sorting out objects visibility issues and adjusting FFB strength plus testing could not be lots of work.

Next time try increasing Caster, by default it is very low. And I wonder if steering is still too light then ? And please certainly tell us about handling, it is fascinating to hear from people when they understand vehicle dynamics and can compare reality with simulation.

vava74 likes this.
  20. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

How? You can't skip a gear, it doesnt even register if you try going from 4th to 2nd, you just end up in neutral, its so weird!

memoNo1 likes this.