Released Mini Cooper S Vintage Mk1

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Aug 3, 2022.

1. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

By the way, I am interested how is the possibility to implement double clutching. Although it is mostly for really old cars, so probably necessity wouldn't ever be questioned. Austin Mini probably doesn't need double shifting, but I don't know.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

When I was about 10years old, I read a fiction book about a Southern California racer. He would double-clutch all the time. Even when others told him it wasn't necessary. I didn't know what it meant then, and I STILL am not sure to this day. lol. My guess would be using the clutch to shift to neutral, then repeating the process to shift to the next gear???

3. green serpent

green serpent Registered

In my GTV (and basically all Alfetta's) double clutching is essential to save the synchromesh and get into gear particularly on the down change.

Basically, when you depress the clutch, the input shaft begins to slow down it's revolutions as it's no longer engaged with the engine.
    By realising the clutch in neutral, the input shaft is then re-engauged with the engine for a brief moment, and so when you slot it into the next gear the input shaft will be (if you got it right) a fraction closer to road speed, and thus the gear engages more easily and creates less wear.

On the downshift you need to give the engine a rev during the neutral phase, on the upshift a rev usually isn't necessary.

4. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

double clutch and pointe heel, there is a very good video of the great Mr. Senna

5. Emery

Emery Registered

Are you seriously satisfied with the on/off AI throttle? That's an example of not being done perfectly.

6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

While the on/off throttle is ANNOYING, it does enable the AI to navigate corners at speeds and angles that resemble natural driving lines. So we could argue the on/off is not perfect but usable, it just pisses the hell out of us.

Remco Majoor likes this.
  7. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

If not fixing the Ai throttle on/off behaviour at least allow us to turn their volume down!!
    Anyway, is the Mini out yet? If not, what time is it coming. shut-up-and-take-my-money-meme-512x512.png

Emery and wrff.tiger@gmail like this.
  8. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

still better than no AI at all. It still is raceable, although annoying. Needs an update indeed though.

9. herve

herve Registered

Hello To follow up on your comments about the RF2 clutch will soon no longer be able to find the excuse that the hardware does not allow it because Pro sim has just developed such a system (quite expensive it is true) to couple to its gearbox of speed. I have not tested it yet but it is on order and the delays are very long... but just to say that it will develop so it is time for RF2 to take it into account.
    Shift Lock : Pro Sim (pro-sim.co.uk)

2ndLastJedi and Emery like this.
  10. herve

herve Registered

A few interesting car ideas that come to mind...
    24 Hours Le Mans 1977 n°9 Renault Sport Renault Alpine A442  Renault.jpg

1976 Porsche 936.jpg 1973 Ferrari 312PB.jpg berlinette-course-7-600x400.jpg audi-sport-quattro-s1.jpg 405 Pikes peak.jpg 205 T16.jpg It's always beautiful to dream but you never know...

11. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

12. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Would it be correct to say that Mini appears like it might be most realistically looking car in rF2 so far ? Also the way it moves also seems very true. I am still downloading, so I judge from video posted above.

R.Noctua likes this.
  13. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

The Mini handles really good. My only complaint from a short play-test is the ffb is quite weak. I set the per-car ffb at 250% and it could still use more, imo.

14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

FUN!

vava74 and R.Noctua like this.
  15. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I have no problems with FFB, feels decent. Very fun to go fast. Also very beautiful.

I did 1'34'1 in Goodwood Circuit, how much does that laptime compare to Goodwood Revival and acrual sixties laptimes ? Probably could do 1'33 flat.

The driving felt very similar to what I have seen in Goodwood races.

vava74 likes this.
  16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

To Quote Tim the Enchanter: "Look at the Tires!" They are very tiny. tiny tires should not provide much feedback.

TJones, Bernat and vava74 like this.
  17. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I was only buying the Mini to show support to getting older content into S397 officially but after some 10 laps at Gateway im sold on how well this car drives even being a low powered FWD, the FFB is great and im surprised by the materials used in the cockpit, very nice indeed.
    The full Q3 drop was reasonably priced compared to other packs, maybe im missing something but this pack price felt right.

vava74, Mauro, RaceNut and 1 other person like this.
  18. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Fair point however, ffb is way weaker than I prefer. Increasing Caster does help, same with Caterham.

19. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Weaker? Man I could hardly turn out of the pits in practice on my 270mm rim, the Caterham was much lighter than the mini but both felt about right to me.

vava74 likes this.
  20. wrff.tiger@gmail

wrff.tiger@gmail Registered

The Mini Cooper is Awesome! Great job Studio-397! Please create more classic content of this same quality. Absolutely fantastic!