Customise/tuning - alternative windows?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by MileSeven, Aug 5, 2022.

1. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Can anyone point me in the correct direction?

I have a mod that I'm returning to that currently uses a single Upgrade.Ini file for a number of customisations. There are c. 30 vehicles defined - the unique upgrade.ini is referenced in every one of the .VEH files.

What I want to do is to be able to select alternative window files at the Customisation (vehicle choice) screen - we have a league banner across the top of the default windscreen but want the option of a use selecting a bannerless window file, for instance.

Can this be done? If so, how would I go about it?

I'm prepared (but slightly reluctant) to revert to one upgrade.ini per vehicle livery - but if that's what's needed...?

TIA

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

You would need to have two window models(or more), then just switch between them in the upgrade file.

3. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

So I think that means I will need to revert to one upgrade file per skin - not a big issue.

My next question is what the upgrade.ini entries would need to look like - would this require GEN references or....?

4. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Yes it will require changing the gen.

5. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Thanks.

With @DJCruicky’s help (and the @svictor thread about the spinner.gen upgrade bug and workaround), I’m *almost* there.

@DJCruicky managed to set up an upgrade.ini and .gen files (as well as separate .GMT’s etc. for the bannered and banner-less screens) that worked in the main.gen - but they didn’t work in the spinner.

I found @svictor’s thread about the spinner.gen upgrade bug (I.e. Instance substitutions work ok with file suffixes in the main.gen but you need full file name substitutions in the spinner.gen)

What now happens is that the upgrade works in both the main and spinner situations *for the windows-out* - but in the main.gen (I.e. in-game) I get the same windows-in regardless of the customisation.

I’m guessing that we’ll need to add explicit entries to the .gen files for windows-in??? Feeling slightly out of my depth at this point as I’m not sure how the correct windows-in files were picked up before I addressed the spinner upgrade bug….