Endurance DLC sound volume does not change

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by João Regatieri, Aug 6, 2022.

1. João Regatieri

João Regatieri Registered

Unfortunately there is a problem in the volume part called legacy, where there is volume for the engine, tire and others. When I change the volume (tire and engine for example) it has no effect on the game. 1% or 100% is the same volume. In other cars the volume changes normally, the problem is in the GTE DLC, or Endurance DLC. I can also adjust the master volume and onboard volume, but this doesn't solve my problem, which is to change the volume ratio (engine vs tire).

Already tried:
    - restart the computer;
    - check the files on steam;
    - delete player.json;
    - delete all player folder;
    - delete all endurance cars DLC in the installed veihcles folder

None of this solves the problem. That's why I believe it's a BUG in the DLC, since other cars normally change the volume. changes in-game volume appear in player.json, but no change in track, so another indication that it's an Endurance DLC bug in RFactor 2.

Game version: no beta (06/08/2022).

2. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

It is not a bug. The GTE cars & oreca in endurance dlc got updated to latest sound engine, so these cars won't be affected by legacy sounds sliders.
    what cars did you try legacy settings with ?
    If you are not actively following the rf2, you won't know which dlc car has new sound engine or not....it shouldn't be like this.

3. João Regatieri

Hi Friend. I try GTE DLC, Ferrari and Aston. Engine and tires, no effect. The engine is too loud and tires too quite, almost muted for me, i cant run like this. Before the last BOP the volume was working.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

He is right about the GTE cars, they all have the new sound package. Make sure in the options you have the sound effects set to the maximum of 255. If that bogs down your frame-rate, then reduce the number until your fps stabilizes. And with the new package, the sounds in the cockpit are much quieter than before. The LEGACY sliders will not affect cars that have been updated like ALL of the S397 GTE cars. Only the sliders above the legacy section work with the new sounds.

5. João Regatieri

Thanks for the answer. It's 255 and engine too high, tire too low. I still can't believe they intentionally made the volume adjustment stop working, it would be a huge setback, and even more so with adjustments that are useless, which is much worse. Also, all games with competing simulation proposals, including arcades have this volume adjustment. It's pretty clear to me that this is a bug, its not possible Studio 397 makes this bad decision.

Anyway, would there be any alternative way to increase the sound of the tires, or decrease the sound of the engine, by editing external files? (except for the game's menu or Player.json, which we already know are useless for anything)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's definitely not a bug, and part of them implementing the new sound system and then updating (and rebalancing) the cars is making the decision on what's realistic. If you want to argue whether it's realistic you'll have a long fight in front of you (Devin seems pretty passionate!), whereas if you're just suggesting that different people might have different preferences and this takes away the flexibility they'd like, you're right in a sense. But then again you could also say you just need to adjust to something that sounds more realistic than what you've been using in the past, and if you were a real driver you can't adjust different sound levels when in the car so why expect to do it now?

You could utilise EQ options to maybe change the balance between engine tones and tyre sounds somewhat, but it seems very unlikely you'll get access to options to actually change the relative sound volumes. It's a little like FFB I suppose, where in rF1 there were several third-party solutions along with a gamut of built-in FFB parameters, and with rF2 that's been reduced to very little 'shaping' being available. It's a similar "well this is actually how it should be, let's stop people settings things up unrealistically" approach here with audio. I think if you persevere with it you'll get used to the change, though that might actually be easier if they finalise and release their audio guidelines and most available content is updated to suit.

7. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

I understand the frustration, i wish the same i.e let the user have ability to control sliders. but i think i got used to it so it doesn't bother me as much now.
    Anyways here is a detailed post regarding new sound engine >
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/new-sound-engine-settings.71979/

You can't get what you want but atleast with above post you can get most out new sound engine.

8. João Regatieri

Thanks for the replies friends. In my conception in a racing simulator the louder tire sound helps to simulate the lack of G-force, making the simulator more realistic by replacing the G-force with the tire noise for people who don't have motion. As I can't have a Motion, and I don't think I ever will, I believe we took a step back. But I am very grateful for the effort in the answers.

Lenniepen and Simulation_Player like this.
  9. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

I completely agree with you. Right now I can only hear the tires when they go over the limit, not when the are approaching the limit (scrubbing/complaining). I still can't get used to the new sound engine with no tire scrubbing sounds. I'm surprised how much I was used to those sound to 'feel' what the car was doing, instead of feeling it through FFB.
    When driving the Oreca or FPro, I can't feel understeer/oversteer through FFB apparently, only when I SEE that I lost grip I can react, which costs me a lot of laptime and is sometimes too late.

Off course it's logical that in real life you won't hear much of the tires scrubbing when in loud GT/formula car, but as João said, it compensates for the lack of G-forces you feel.