F1 80's Mod project seasons pack (historical demo released)

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by trollray, Apr 27, 2020.

1. doddynco

doddynco Registered

2. Caio Fonseca

Caio Fonseca Registered

I ask you to pay special attention to Monza if possible, because the carrera version is very flat and some curves have a certain slope that we don't see in the current version.

3. trollray

trollray Registered

Hmm, for the slopes, i'm afraid i'm not able to do them now.
    I'm just able to make the surfaces with more noise and some bumps.
    If i change some slopes, then the entire ground need to be redo also and that's not something i could do. ;)

Rui Santos and buzz hornet like this.
  4. Roberto Siragusa

Roberto Siragusa Registered

any news on when the other cars will be released?

doddynco likes this.
  5. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Talking a little longer than expect to get to version 1.0. All areas of the car have received a lot of refinement as I strive to get as close to the real thing as possible. I have a preview here so you can test the physics and graphics

I'm really happy how the car has turned out and I'm sorry for keeping you guys waiting on the other vehicles. But they are coming - it's much better that I get the physics to a high level on this car now, as it is used as a basis for the other vehicles. The process of making the other vehicle physics is not a big undertaking now that I have this.

I'm posting this here because at this point I'm very keen to hear of any issues you're having so don't be shy. I have a little list of jobs to complete at the bottom of this page and then the workshop will be updated.

For now you can try the current version, which has the final physics. Remember to first unsubscribe from the steam version before you place this file in your packages folder:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cI4Vwpv6kWc9oRVco8ph0Vvo1CjXS0Mz/view?usp=sharing

Benetton B186 updated to pre-release 0.995:

- Added Hewland DGB ratio selection with special 1st and 2nd gear, and final drive as per spec sheet. Details provided by Hewland Classic for ratios, internal masses and dimensions to calculate inertia. Part location estimated for vibration effects.

- Added Hewland DGB 120nm Salisbury type differential, with 6 variations of ramp angles and adjustable friction disks.

- Koni 3012 80mm front & 105mm rear damper with size, weight, adjustability range, BA23 valving and 30mm bumpstop rubbers.

- Brakes now have 1.5inch pistons and slightly higher pedal ratio. Worse cold performance but slightly wider sweet spot. Able to (just) lock the tyres at almost any condition when hot and fully pressed, which would have been standard. Tweaked brake cooling behaviour and glow.

- Aerodynamics overhauled using Aerosketch. Uses L/R fender to separate tyre from body aero drag and lift, which is a more realistic approach for an open wheeler..

- Radiator blanking changed to '% Cowling'.

- Added 3 sizes of brake ducts, in mm length up to 280mm, as opposed to % of blanking.

- Tyres size adjusted slightly and small changes made to tyre loading behaviour to compensate for this.

- Made changes to engine after finding a very good information source. Boost to bph ratio now believed to be very accurate. Race rpm now 800bhp@3.4bar 10,500rpm up to 930bhp@4bar 10,500rpm. Qually boost now 1340bhp@5.5bar@11,500rpm.

- Suspension geometry refinements.

- Chassis flex amended

- Centre of gravity moved, in-line with new data.

- Sorted out clutch issues and added 3rd 'middle' option for sequential with manual throttle blip.

- Increased accuracy of fuel tank shape and position, and added era specific fuel with mass: 80% Toulene fuel blend at approx 0.84kg/l (13.5% heavier than standard fuel)

- Added 55mm to wheelbase, now 2.692m.

- New throttle map

- Removed one of two nose-cone undertray points as having two points in very close proximity caused terrain collision issues.

- Backfire graphics amended

- Updated cockpit LED glow/bulb

- Fixed various body and part scaling issues

- Calibrated the tyres skid marks and smoke generation.

- Took tyre textures from older 0.97 league version (textures from ChiefWiggum) as a base and set them up to work with the new tyre shape 3d model, made various changes including Pirreli branding position, new damage textures, updated tyre textures to IBL.

- New file system / repackaging to make project easier to work on and help keep file size down going forward.

To do list for v1.0

Sort out engine cooling with new paramenters
    Fuel consumption
    Calibrate temp gauges
    Add rear brake duct size tuning
    Correct dash dial position
    Darken dash dial amend glass
    Update nose cam position - add car into view possible
    UI icon redo
    Rain visor update / fix reflection
    Sync backfire/sound
    Calibrate ai tyres
    Get ai to drive well
    New sound engine calibration
    Improve carbon fibre material
    IBL, pbr shader to wheel rims
    Correct mirror reflection

Edit: Any screenshots would be most welcome - for the workshop page!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Damn!

Eric Rowland and doddynco like this.
  7. datasting

datasting Registered

Please make the caster Higher. No resistance in the Wheel. Steering like a Toy. i use dd2 with full power, and drive with 2 fingers. thats unreal. The old version of this car was mutch stronger.

Mirrors has a bug, is standup from casing.
    365960_20220729152833_1.png

doddynco likes this.
  8. buzz hornet

buzz hornet Registered

Awesome - look forward to giving it a try over the weekend - thanks for your hard work, passion and commitment.

doddynco likes this.
  9. doddynco

doddynco Registered

I'll have to check that out because dd1 was working very nice on what I thought was a 1:1 nm output. Could you perhaps send me your controller json please?

Dash instruments (including mirrors) is known.

10. datasting

datasting Registered

You have PN

365960_20220729154127_1.png 365960_20220729154002_1.png 365960_20220729153708_1.png

Bostrom, pascom, trollray and 9 others like this.
  11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Eric Rowland likes this.
  12. datasting

datasting Registered

13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

in regards to the two lights on top of the dashboard panel. Green means the turbo is at max pressure? And red is the Pop-off valve?
    I love the constant gunfire of the backfires you can hear in the cockpit. Have you updated the sounds to work with the new Sound Engine? I'd hate to lose the aural excitement generated by all that cacaphony.

Eric Rowland and Rui Santos like this.
  14. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Green just means that you are within 1000rpm of the rev limiter. The red blinks when the engine is overheating - the cooling system needs a revisit since the engine has been updated and I also have the new cooling features to implement.

The sound will get a complete rebalance soon because the new sound engine absolutely destroyed the mix. However there's really no point in doing that before the dev guide is updated for the new sound engine because there are other new sound features to add (expecting that quite soon - hopefully...). I'll make sure it sounds meaner than ever. I have sourced some nice exterior sounds too so I'm really looking forward to it.

davehenrie likes this.
  15. Petethepawn

Petethepawn Registered

Mind blowing good
    The car is definitely more challenging to drive now, requires a special way of driving the car and as Berger would say how big your balls are either will decide if you can stay on the track. The drive ability is hugely impressive, it’s just when you push it it bites back. I’m enjoying the new physics, can feel subtle improvements everywhere but I now need to adjust my driving style so I don’t look like a complete noob.
    Force feedback does seem a little down compared to the previous build, would be nice to have option like some mods do (asr and fvr that I know off) to select different levels from light to strongest so everybody can find there sweet spot. But that’s nit picking, it’s brilliant now but that would my only comment.

Cant wait to see the other cars.
    Couple of questions.
    Did you do anything with the turbo lag in this build?
    So each car will handle differently and have different strengths and weaknesses?

buzz hornet, Hazi and doddynco like this.
  16. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Thank you Pete. Great to here that from a big fan of the last version - big relief for me!

As for driving style, one big difference between this version and the last one is the throttle map - it is far more sensitive now, but on a car with a big turbo, this is surprisingly the way to go. The reason is that, if you have a throttle with low sensitivity, you will need to mash it all the way to the floor just to get into the boost threshold. The problem then is that when you reach about 7000rpm, your bhp triples in about a second, so you need cat reactions to let off the throttle in order to keep the power delivery smooth. The new throttle map means that much less throttle is needed to get into the powerband. The car is almost exactly the same in terms of lag and turbo hardware, but it probably feels less laggy because of this change.

The other big advantage with the new throttle map is that you have much more definition in the high power range, allowing a larger arc of movement between say, 400 and 900bhp - which is where it really matters for getting that corner exit speed. To drive fast on exit, the car requires a lot of throttle pedal modulation. Whereas, before it was practically full throttle or the engine would just fall out of the boost range.

The aero has undergone huge changes but from a drivers point of view, if you're comparing the the last version, you should know that the default setup is now 100% downforce, whereas before it was about 60%.

Datasting said he thought the ffb was too weak but it turned out to be a setup issue on his end (he was experiencing only 36% of 1:1 steering torque because of the way he had set up his DD2). That being said, I could adjust the FFB nominal to be a bit lower, this makes no difference to the car physics but it increases the force for the normalised FFB output (for non-DD wheels mostly). If you have a DD wheel and it's set up 1:1, you should find that the FFB is weighted realistically.

I don't really like the ffb options in the tuning menu like a lot of mods have because I don't think it is very clear to people what that is actually doing, and has completely different effects between wheel bases depending on what 'steering torque capability' is set in the controller.json. If the car's ffb nominal is set correctly (which is something that may need tweaking on the most recent Benetton), there should be no reason to use the tuning menu.

Please send me a message with your controller JSON and wheel settings, and it will allow to to figure out if I need to make changes to the ffb nominal value or not. Also please include if you have tweaked the FFB multiplier, and if so what value did you find the best for your current setup.

One thing for sure is yes, every car will handle completely differently. The are all part of the same Formula so there will of course be some similarities, but they will be completely different at a technical level - no shared values unless the car actually shared the same component in real life (tyres for example). The backmarkers of that year - the AGS for exmaple, was sooo far off the pace it's hard to imagine. But that doesn't mean the AGS won't be fun to drive, and an absolute beast in it's own regard - it is still a 600kg 700bhp F1 car after all.

svictor, pkelly, Eric Rowland and 3 others like this.
  17. buzz hornet

buzz hornet Registered

All positive as well, I can feel the improvements and it feels so satisfactory when you get it right, which in itself is a challenge. The new physics are another step up and it feels amazing - job done.
    Looking forward to the v1 release.

doddynco likes this.
  18. Roberto Siragusa

Roberto Siragusa Registered

è proprio come ha detto Gerhard Berger ;)

doddynco likes this.
  19. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Registered

20. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

must have been interesting designing pedals that both could reach...

Eric Rowland likes this.