Discount system for day one buyers

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by bob76, Jul 26, 2022.

1. bob76

bob76 Registered

Day one supporters never get a discount, thats a bad thing because we are the backbone of rf2.

I get that when there is a pack sale discount etc to keep sales going but day one supporters never get this advantage this is not okay.

a system like I racing the more you own the higher the discount, would be a fair option

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
    Matt21 likes this.
  2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

ISI is beholden to the Day One crowd. S397 is in search of new users and, as we have seen with the last two DLC, since MSG became involved the price per car/track has increased for everyone.

3. bob76

bob76 Registered

the problem is after a while the DLC's go into discount, and the day one buyer does not benefit from this this is unfair because the day one buyer are the backbone of the sim

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

My apologies, I thought by "Day One' you meant the original buyers of rF2 10 years ago. I see it was meant for the purchasers of DLC on the first day the items are offered. We all know some of the DLC will get price breaks during Steam sales which are fairly frequent. We also know the purchasers of NEW CONTENT always pay more. I would guess you are correct in assuming the large majority of income from DLC sales occurs in the first week or two the content is offered. Companies that offer DLC have to balance the cost of producing the cars & tracks vs expected sales. So I don't know how Day One purchasers can be compensated for loyalty beside the continued release of quality content. I'm not disagreeing, I just don't know.

5. bob76

bob76 Registered

like the iracing model the more you own the less you pay for new content

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

This is pretty normal when buying things. They're more expensive when new and get cheaper as they're superseded. You could argue content is never actually superseded by new versions of the same thing, but often new content is more popular with existing players and tends to feature in the CS. Higher demand -> higher price.

Regardless, the current steam store setup seems to offer no flexibility in pricing. The same goes for reducing pack prices to account for already-owned content.

(I'll also add that very little went on sale recently)

*Editing just to correct my tone somewhat - I interpreted this more as a criticism of the current sales enticing new users at the 'expense' of old, first-day-buying users, than as a wish for a new discount system for those older users, which isn't really correct.

While I think we can't forget these things ultimately come down to supply and demand, with the 'right price' being the price that people are willing to pay (so when people stop buying the new content to wait for later sales, you're either setting the price too high or not making that content attractive enough via quality or potential use of it), there's always going to be some 'break even' point that you don't want to put the price below.

In that context, if you introduce a discount for owning a large amount of content, you may encourage the majority of the userbase to buy a lot of content to qualify for future discounts. Then you're effectively selling your new content at a lower price (most people get a discount) and could end up either having to reduce the time put into new content, or make it more expensive (for potential new users, to compensate the majority getting the discount) in order to maintain profitability.

And unlike iRacing, you're not getting money from people just for playing the game (with new or old content).

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
    Binny likes this.
  7. Binny

Binny Guest

It will never be like iracing unless they stop selling through steam and have their own shop, rf2 is structed differently and at the moment no word on if this will ever change.

8. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

Not really; it wouldn´t be equivalent because in iracing users have to pay for content AND membership.

9. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Iracing is a rental game, including the purchase of cars or circuits, in reality they are not bought, they are rented, that is very different,....one day you stop paying the annual membership and you no longer have anything,... .so the discount comparison is absurd, there you have nothing at all until you pay the annual fee again, what is how much? Well, that's important money, having said that, everyone spends their money on what they want ..........

trichens and Binny like this.
  10. leseb64

leseb64 Registered

11. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

[​IMG]

12. bob76

bob76 Registered

Let me clarify I don't want a monthly fee for access to rf2 what I suggest is about DLC content the more you own the bigger the discount will be at the next purchase

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

And being a wishlist you can absolutely suggest that.

But if you mention iRacing (as you did) inevitably their subscription fees will be brought into the discussion.