Frametime spikes, all games.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Navigator, Jul 8, 2022.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

This is a problem I'm having on all games and thought to post it here as there is a lot of knowledge in this forum. Not in "technical and support" because it may be seen as a rF2 problem.

So here's the deal: since a few weeks now I have a vr thing (Lenovo Explorer) and gaming is a lot heavier for the graphics card. Games are not running all that smooth and after installing fpsVR, I saw the line for the GPU frametime spiking.
    It does this all the time, no other cars in the picture or a lot of things moving and so on. Being the only car, standing in the box; it does it.
    Average of 8ms and every second or so it spikes to around 15. Every minute or so, it goes way up and shows purple. At that point the counter for lost frames counts plus one. For the lower spikes, the counter doesn't show anything but the picture isn't smooth anymore.

It does this when the average is high (9ms or so) but also when I set everything to extremely low and get an average of 5 to 6 ms; spiking and stuttering.

Recently I changed out the whole system (not because of that, but was hoping it would go away) except for the graphics card; have to save up again for that one or get a divorce. ;)

What I tried:
    - updating GPU drivers/ tried different versions
    - shut off XMP
    - mainboard drivers (and whatever I could find) updated
    - different usb slots
    - changed out the M.2 to the "CPU bound slot"
    - installed W10 all over
    - some more things that I can't think of right now :)

The system now is the following and all except for the GPU is not even one week old:
    - i5 11400f
    - MSI MAG B560 Torpedo
    - 2x8 Gb 3200Mhz Corsair Vengeance
    - M.2 1Tb ssd with 3500mb/s speed
    - 850W Corsair Gold power supply
    - GTX 1070 8Gb

What I do notice, is that the led at the side of the extra power connector on the GPU is now always on, even when the system is off. That was not the case on my old system, but the problem was present there too, so I don't think much of that.

Anyway; I want to get rid of the spikes of course and any suggestions are more than welcome.
    So please, share your thoughts and or findings if you solved this problem yourself; much appreciated!!

Dalmation likes this.
  2. Brutten

Brutten Registered

Hello.

I would do a test to locate possible bottlenecks. (Online calculators are available)

An i5 processor with a 1070 graphics I think it's a bit tight for VR.

Dalmation likes this.
  3. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

Dalmation likes this.
  4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thank you for the reply guys, I will dive into that.
    I realise my GPU is a bit older and not up to the task, but I would suspect that I would have to lower the settings and get medium fps.
    Now, in that case, low enough to get proper fps and proper frame times, there are spikes while the GPU is running at 60% power: I can't understand those spikes then.

I do have to wait it out a bit for the newer GPU, but the driver version is possible: will do that and report back!
    Btw, when I ordered all the stuff for the system, I was only able to get the 3200Mhz ram. Just yesterday the 3600Mhz was available so I ordered that one and send this back; waiting for that now :)

5. Brutten

Brutten Registered

good luck

6. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks mate.
    Ow yeah, I did the calculator thing and indeed, as suspected, is the GPU the bottleneck.
    Just having spend a 1000 euro on the system......I can't do another 1000 euro (says the wife) ;)

7. Brutten

Brutten Registered

Years ago I sent the wife to her parents and I bought an i9 and a 3080.
    Approximately 2700 euros and everything improved significantly, hehe.

DJCruicky likes this.
  8. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Love the idea!
    However; did her parents live 150 yards away? Mine's do........damn! :)

DJCruicky likes this.
  9. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Well guys, I may have a lead here......
    By some sort of accident, trying out things, I started (sorry for swearing in Church) AC by the desktopicon.
    The spikes were completely gone and even the history bar in fpsVR, for frame times was completely FLAT. Zero dropped frames, ran like a charm!
    So I started from vr in steam; old song again, spiking and even that aside; the bar was "like gras", not flat at all.
    So, started from desktop app steam, same old song again.
    Only when I start from the AC desktopicon, it's perfect.

Of course I tested with other games; no suck luck......
    But there IS something to do about it I presume, if I only can find out what the desktopicon does different when starting AC.
    Then I (probably need help) can reverse engineer .........maybe.......and find something out?

When doing "the different thing" the icon does, it CAN be PERFECT.........that's the whole thing here, but HOW?
    There is no lead in the properties of the icon; it doesn't have a url in it, just some "steam_id", not a path.

10. Full_Ninja

Full_Ninja Registered

Do you have something like MSI afterburner running? If yes close and end that process and try again

11. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I do, yes.
    Won't my graphics card become to hot than?

12. Full_Ninja

Full_Ninja Registered

Once you save your settings and close afterburner they are still set until you reboot.

13. redapg

redapg Registered

Normally it should not make a Difference, if you start rF2 from the Steam Client or a Shortcut (Path/URL) and you also normally should have such an Internet-Shortcut, with the URL Entry "steam://rungameid/365960" for rFactor 2, in the Windows Start Menu, in the Steam Folder.
    If there is none, create a new Shortcut or copy the one from AC and change the URL Entry to "steam://rungameid/365960".
    You also can give it the rF2 Icon Symbol, to better identify it.

14. Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet Registered

Have you set a FPS limiter to a level which you can maintain at all times?

15. Dalmation

Dalmation Registered

I got think it that these happen and it not the worst thing in the world. Maybe I take a look and solve this? It could be your computer has a virus maybe? You could also try get fresh files that could help?