Broadcasting Overlay with In Game widget to capture overlay in game while racing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Steve Cunningham, Jul 11, 2022.

1. Steve Cunningham

Steve Cunningham Registered

OK, lengthy title, but here is what to do.

To get the broadcast overlay to work while in game and driving / racing you need an app that can capture a url and overlay this in game while racing.

StreamLabs has things like this but I found one also on github called baffler.
    https://github.com/baffler/Transparent-Twitch-Chat-Overlay

It can work with chat pop out windows, and other things too but also with any URL content such as the overlay content url for rFactor 2

Just download and install baffler

Create your widget using the url
    http://localhost:5397/overlays/overlays.html

You can still control the widget content with the broadcast overlay control page.
    the control url here:
    http://localhost:5397/overlays/controlpanel.html

In the baffler you can maximize and then click the circle with a slash and the borders will disappear.
    This also means the overlay is click through and won't interfere with any game play clicks / menu etc.

Hope someone can use this, have fun.
    Here is a sample pic of driving view with overlay in game.
    Screenshot (49).png

yashiman and EricW like this.
  2. Steve Cunningham

Now if I can just figure out how to make the control url more android friendly I could use my android or tablet to control the overlay over wifi

3. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

Thanks for sharing this. One thing I'm having trouble with is that when the overlay is put on screen, a little bit of the overlay is cut off. So for instance on the tower half of '26th place' is cut off from I presume by the windows bar as it cuts off exactly where the windows bar is. Do you know of a way to avoid that?

4. lagg

lagg Registered

I think that you can reduce the number of pilots in the Tower in the config.json of the overlay

Steve Cunningham likes this.
  5. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

Yes you can, but my issue is that using the widget cuts a position off. So without the widget I could display all my drivers, but with it one is cut off.

6. lagg

lagg Registered

If you don't want to reduce the number of pilots of the list, is possible that you can create an style in the custom.css anr reduce the size of the font used in the tower.
    I haven't done this but the css has to be there for some reason.

7. Steve Cunningham

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "cuts off the overlay".

You can make the overlay any size. Toggle on the border, then resize it. You can make it full screen if you want.

The entire overlay is click through so as long as you can see the screen behind it all in game buttons will still function.
    After you resize the overlay then you can toggle border of the overlay off.
    Right click in task bar and goggle borders on/off etc.

8. Steve Cunningham

Define "windows bar".
    Do you mean the windows lower task bar ? Cutting off part of the overlay ?
    This would mean it's also cutting off part of the game window and because it's a browser window then it won't resize to fit the visible physical screen size of the game but only the resolution. Hide task bar to only come up when you put the mouse over the lower part of the screen.

Otherwise resize the overlay to be just slightly above that and this should scale to fit and show all your drivers.

If I understand what you mean by "windows bar".

9. Steve Cunningham

I'm wanting to set css in the baffler app instead of the broadcast overlay. For some reason the baffler makes the overlay much larger and the broadcast overlay seems to adjust smaller by default. When I compare "in game" overlay with the ingame overlay put into the baffler overlay app, the font size is much different. Likely because the css default of baffler is different then the default css of the broadcast overlay.

I think the default of the broadcaster is good by itself unfortunately baffler changes the look and size of things.
    I need to learn a little css so I can change the look of baffler with the broadcast overlay while driving.

Works well this way though and no glitches or studders that I can tell.
    Just have to fix my css for baffler I guess.