slowing down the GT3s

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Stevy, Jul 6, 2022.

1. Stevy

Stevy Registered

With the update yesterday we know that one of the next updates will be the GT3 cars.
    With new tires we will also get a new GT3 BoP.
    I would like to see that the GT3s get slown down quite a bit compared to the GTE cars.
    Currently it's not possible to do an IMSA-style GTE & GT3 race (with or without AI) because GTE and GT3 are at the same speed.
    So while I think the GT3 BoP is still beeing worked on I would like to see a nice gap between these two classes.

shiet and davehenrie like this.
  2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The killer for that difference in performance is that Sebring was the first Laser Scanned track that could be used as a benchmark. So they have had years of data and the accuracy of a Laser Scanned track to compare & balance lap times. At Sebring the fastest GT3 is about 2 seconds per lap slower than the slowest GTE. With the introduction of the LMP3 class, there is often some overlap between GT3 & LMP3 as the slower teams in the Prototype LMP3 field don't have the driver/engineering talent of the top GT3(GTD in Imsa) So in race conditions, the slowest LMP3 often gets in the way of the top GT3 drivers.
    It seems ever since the LM 24Virtual event began, the GT3 field has been virtually forgotten. The focus, even this week, has been GTE & the Oreca 07. Are we going to have to wait til the GT3 cars become the standard at Le Mans before we get a full rebalancing of the two groups? For that matter, will the Le Mans specific GT3 actually BE a standard SRO balanced GT3 or will it have enough rule bending to outpace current GT3 cars?