Moving to an NVME?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Richard Busch, Jul 1, 2022.

1. Richard Busch

Richard Busch Member

I just installed a new 1TB NVME and I'm trying to move rF2 via the Steam "move install folder". After everything is moved, all I get is the rF2 splash screen then it hangs. Task manager shows a very high power drain and rF2 is not responding. Has anyone had this problem, or heard of this? Any ideas out there?

Thanks

I really don't want to do an uninstall and reinstall unless I know Rf2 will work on my NVME. I've got almost 2GB of stuff to reinstall.

2. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Richard Busch I can't find the threads, but I'm sure there's a file or two that reference the previous folder and cause issues.

A fresh Userdata will almost certainly solve it, and if you do it by renaming the current one (then verify rF2 files in steam to restore the controller profiles) you could do a file compare to find the differences.

I suspect maybe one of the earlier player.json parameters is the issue, but I can't remember exactly. I'll keep searching.

4. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I've been with NVME for a long time and never had a problem with the drive

3 year

5. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

I did this exact thing in March, everything went fine. I did have to update some paths in the registry, but I never had any issues with the game not loading.

6. lagg

lagg Registered

I had the same error moving the rF2 install (with a SSD not NVME)
    I did a copy of my userdata fólder, deleted the old installation and installed It again.

7. Richard Busch

Richard Busch Member

Thanks guys. I think I'll keep rF2 where it is and the next time I have to delete/reinstall I'll put it on my NVME. I was trying to move from an SSD to a faster NVME. I was running out of space on my 240 GB SSD.

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

When I got my new system, with an NVME, I didn't try to copy anything over from the old HDD. I just started fresh by installing windows, steam, Firefox & rF2 like it was a new purchase. Fortunately, I had removed about half of my workshop content prior to the new system so the download was as bad as it could have been.

9. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

I have moved from SSD sata to NVME my windows 10 with a clone partition paid sofware (AOMEI Backupper licence), ZERO issue, ZERO re-install, perfectly fine.
    I highly suggest a paid licence software to move Windows.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
  10. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

240 gb seems a bit thin for rf2, depending on how much content you keep installed at any given point ofc.

But just in case, I'm pretty sure there's no speed benefit loading from an nvme over an ssd in rf2. Haven't tried on a pcie 4 nvme though.

11. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

I cloned my SSD games drive to the new NVME. Worked like a charm. On Win7 tho.

12. Richard Busch

Richard Busch Member

I ran Crystal Disk Mark and the SSD I'm moving from was significantly slower then the NVME. the SSD was 351 read, the NVME was 1616 read, SSD 214 write, NVME 1320 write. I figure anything to speed up rF2's loading.

davehenrie and nonamenow like this.
  13. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

Yes, I´m not saying nvmes aren´t generally faster, like your "generic" test shows.
    I´m saying I haven´t seen any improvement when loading rF2 content, as this seems to be bottlenecked by the cpu (decompression and build(?))

Lazza likes this.
  14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

As Mitch says, rF2 loading isn't limited by drive speed. You'll actually have very little improvement over even a HDD.

15. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

Hi.
    Maybe you're already using symbolic links, but if not, you can free up lots of space linking your dlc/workshop component files to another drive. Moving my dlc saved about 50 gigs by itself.

Regards.

juanchioooo likes this.
  16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Your CPU has as much work to do loading tracks and cars as the storage method. Much of the data for each car & track are packed in MAS files which have to be decrypted/extracted mainly by the CPU. That being said, my new system is MUCH faster than my old one, loading tracks and booting the program itself.

17. Racer7

Racer7 Registered

Use Steam Mover. Works like a charm and it’s free!! Just Google it.

18. gianluca

gianluca Registered

Did you guys noticed any improvements in loading times after switching to NVME.

I know the shaders thing and that the first time that I load a track it's always slow. But after this stage, it improves?
    The loading process should be a Read-Only thing, so in theory NVME should make a difference.

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The loading process is generally CPU limited. There's very little difference when changing drive types, but maybe something measurable.