S397 AI Improvements

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Philip00, Mar 8, 2020.

1. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

IDK it was and is slow, content excluded.

Filip likes this.
  2. Philip00

Philip00 Member

Hi All,

I know that this thread OP is from long time ago, but I got some hope as in the last build we saw some inprovements regarding the AI (Wet weather logic etc..).

So I would like to bump this thread hopefully some points will be taken :)

3. shiet

shiet Registered

Hmm. The last "big" patch which brought "AI wet weather logic" in a nutshell:
    If player tires = wet then AI tires:=wet else AI tires:=dry.
    If track wetness>20% then AI go change tyres to wet.
    Why was this that complicated to implement?

4. jordan3878

jordan3878 Registered

I keep coming back to rFactor 2 because of variety, mods and platform it provides which can be great fun when combined. Although I'm actually appalled how bad the offline immersion experience can be when the AI has still (after 4 YEARS of development) got that awful throttle blip bug. Even though they have been focusing on online aspect of the game for the last few years, surely they would have catered to the offline player base which I can imagine is about split or if so more than their online player base. It's a struggle as I love rFactor 2 but I just end up leaving it only days after installing it because the offline experience is always the same since about 2018. Unbelievable.

Pales and memoNo1 like this.
  5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The last two updates have included improvements to the over-all environment AND things for solo players, but the on/off behavior is still there. The one upside, the new sound engine greatly reduces the engine volume from other cars, so at least while driving, the throttle/brake/throttle sound is reduced quite a bit.(still there, you just can't hear it as much, replays, no change for THAT at least.) So make sure you try one of the sound balanced cars like the GTE fleet & Oreca 07, BTCC cars, Indycar, rFPro. or even the new free Caterham.

jordan3878 likes this.
  6. jordan3878

jordan3878 Registered

Appreciate the sound tip, as the sound was enough for me to give up again. Unfortunately also seeing the brake lights flicker through every corner can be off putting as well. Lets REALLY hope they'll start focusing on the offline aspect soon enough before the rFactor modding communities dwindle and move onto something else. Probably why AC is flourishing right now.

avenger82 and Elcid43 like this.
  7. Pales

Pales Registered

I keep raising the importance of fixing the erratic throttle and breaking issue but they have absolutely no idea how to solve it.

We know that it was introduced in Build:1110 (which was back in 2018) following an amendment but for whatever reason, it cannot be undone. You’re right though, this type of behaviour is so absurdly broken it kills any excitement to continue playing.

jordan3878 likes this.
  8. jordan3878

jordan3878 Registered

When looking to see anything was being done about this issue I saw your post which you had made last year or so. Crazy to see how far back this has been an issue as it was fine before build 1110. Really disappointing to see to be honest. I honestly don’t think we’ll see this fixed, if it does it’ll be too late.

Pales likes this.
  9. Pales

Pales Registered

@Coutie

Apologies for flagging this once again (you may recall me highlighting the erratic throttle and breaking issue in Discord recently and you acknowledged it needed a fix) but I feel like the above feedback needs to be seen.

This type of feedback is all over the official forums, the official discord, reddit, race department and even other forms of media. I have seen countless posts over the years about the erratic throttle and breaking issue. I just cannot empathise enough the importance of getting this issue fixed, it is preventing so many people from investing in the game because it simply is not enjoyable.

Are you able to provide any insight at all into what can be done, do we have a potential timeline of when this will be looked into?

jordan3878 likes this.
  10. Emery

Emery Registered

Aaargh! "Breaking" is a broken spelling of braking. How will S397 fix the AI braking issue if their customers can't even spell it right?

pkelly likes this.
  11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

possible google translation? Reminds me of a Book Series called Xanth. A magical place with magical creatures like the Spelling Bee, which spelled every word perfectly but NEVER new witch word you really wanted spelled.

12. Pales

Pales Registered

english is not my native language

Emery likes this.
  13. Emery

Emery Registered

My apologies then. You've had me fooled all these years!

Pales likes this.
  14. jordan3878

jordan3878 Registered

I think S397 have been getting Artificial Intelligence as Artificial Inability for the last 4 years!

Pales likes this.
  15. green serpent

green serpent Registered

This is not meant to be a boast, but I'll be happy when I can't breeze by almost the entire field in one lap, then spend the rest of the race trying to chase down the leader.
    Even if you spend the first lap letting the AI sort themselves out, on the next lap you can pretty easily pass the entire field.
    So many of my races end up being like this.

DiggerHawk likes this.
  16. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

There does seem to be a pace gap between the fastest car and the rest of the field which is rather annoying as you may as well just race against one Ai opponent.

green serpent likes this.
  17. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

As has been said before in several places, we do want to fix the AI issues and they are on the agenda. However there's no point in us talking about when that'll happen until we have the fixes. Saying they'll be fixed by x date and then something happens that means we are not able to do it by x date will not help the situation at all.

18. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

Compared to my overall wishes for rFactor 2, it took a long time for the important things to be really prioritized from my specific user point of view.

In particular the improvement of the physics, the massive update of the content (especially on the physics part)....

Now the AI is coming, and your confirmation Alex is the most significant that I have seen coming from S397.

A remark however, the improvement of performances (including in VR) in my opinion has not been prioritized enough by S397 and this is in my opinion part of the Top 3 of what should be the main priorities.

In any case, congratulations, rFactor 2 has gradually taken a great turn.

And as far as I'm concerned, the post you just wrote was highly anticipated and really needed.

memoNo1 likes this.
  19. Corgan

Corgan Registered

There is no point? Really? After 4 years you really think there is no point in you talking about when that will happen? That's some real arrogance. And I'm honestly sorry to say that, but enough is enough.

20. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

Unfortunately this kind of negative reaction probably encouraging the staff of S397 to communicate little on the subject.