steam sale 2022 summer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Delzimar, Jun 23, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

It's actually pretty simple to answer that question as you just need to check the player numbers. Don't get me wrong, I prefer rF2 over AC aswell, but I am propably not the target audience of S397 as I own most of the content and the game itself. The goal is to get new people involved and to grow the community obviously, wich I don't see happening with how the sale is set up compared to - not just AC - but basicly all other products on the market. And it's a false assumption to think that AC isn't developed. It's developed by the community wich makes it even harder to compete with a platform like AC as alot of the scratch made 3rd party content is of pretty high quality and on top of that more frequently released and free or very cheap. How do you wanna tell a new customer that the base game is pretty cheap but that the car on the advertisement banner isn't on sale right now and part of a pack that costs 40 Euro? If you ask me, that's a poor strategy for selling stuff. AC is a perpeduum mobile on the other hand wich just works on it's own while Kunos doesn't have to do anything.

2. Ozcanuck55

Ozcanuck55 Registered

Game is on sale...nice...but the base cars and tracks are mostly old, and there are lots of mods of varying quality ( as with AC)....to appreciate the game I think you need to buy new stuff ( the IR-18 is great), which is fairly expensive. Still waiting for Studio 397 to dangle a carrot......

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Seems a reasonable idea to keep releasing content and have it feature heavily in a CS that works well, as a way to maintain income and keep a wave of current popular content bringing numbers. The question is how older content is then handled, for existing users with not all of it and new users who only have recent stuff.

And this in the context of a game that requires to have all content used in a server.

4. FS7

FS7 Registered

Lack of regional pricing is one of the reasons I don't buy any rF2 DLC.
    Not only there are no sales on packs and individual items but the Summer pack thingy seems it was randomly put together and is totally not worth it imo.

Simulation_Player likes this.
  5. lagg

lagg Registered

I think you have not understood my post.
    To compare the prices of an awandonware game with a current sim doesn't have too much sense.

turtleCZ likes this.
  6. Delzimar

Delzimar Registered

It's not even worth it!

7. lagg

lagg Registered

I didn't know that the money that you pay nowadays when buying AC goes to the community...:rolleyes:
    AC isn't developed nowadays by Kunos.
    Kunos is developing ACC very Well.
    I don't say that S397 is doing the things Well, but to compare the prices of rF2 with the price of AC and suposse that should be similar has any sense

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

There is one DLC sale package that looks to be targeted at new users.
    https://store.steampowered.com/itemstore/365960/detail/1021/
    In combination with the extremely low price of the core game, new players can get a wide sampling of of cars & tracks for a modest price.
    The bucket of cold water will come when these new users find they have to buy the entire GT3 pack or Endurance packs to join most servers.

GertjanD likes this.
  9. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

indeed the summer pack is not worth it for that price, especially considering only one laser scanned (that too monza) paired with outdated and probably abandoned by reiza , tracks.
    All the cars summer sale pack have old tyres , with missing and wrong electronics & aero physics.

10. FAlonso

FAlonso Registered

you go back to the same nonsense conversation, AC in development was just as cheap, ACC currently in development is also much cheaper.

11. Delzimar

Delzimar Registered

You are being annoying!

lagg likes this.
  12. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

IMHO I think the summer pack Is alright to get Into rF2. If you add rF2 base game and the summer pack your Into +/- 30€ which Is not bad. Even If the content In this summer pack Is not up to date, a newbi would really not notice until he/she digs around, and still, that doesn't mean It wont be enjoyable. If we are going to be perfectionist or purist with rF2, most might as well skip rF2 as a whole because It´s not perfect. On that same note, and after more then 20 years with different sims, there Is NO perfect sim I am afraid. Most DLC´s for other mayor sims are circa 30€ or more, and you get ONLY one content (form factor).

On the other hand, what @davehenrie said Is a bucket of cold water! I as a rF2 newbi myself, I didn´t know that till today, which to be honest REALLY sucks! Although I am close to having most of the rF2 content, I still think this business model Is not fair or good for the health of the CS, or online gameplay.

13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

There WAS a reason for this type of model, and that was to prevent online cheating. rF2 was built LOOOONNNGG before DLC became a thing. Back in that time, it was somewhat common for a user to alter his car's physics and bypass cheat protections by logging in, logging out repeatedly to convince the server his car was the same as everyone else's. So ISI programmed to ensure that every car matched exactly what was on the server.
    When S397 purchased rF2, at some point they at least looked at changing the packaging system. For whatever unknown reason, they decided to leave the original method in place. We now have extensive DLC content and they all fall under the same old packaging system. The user has to match the server. Since most servers seek as many users as possible, they almost always include every car that is the focus of that server's operator. This may be only FormulaE, or GT3, but it also might mean the user needs all the GT3, GTE & LMP3, LMP2, and (in some cases) 3rd party LMP1 cars.

14. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

I see, ok that makes some sense to some point. I don´t mind supporting the game by buying there DLC´s. I almost have everything from them now and only actually bought two packs, one being the latest Q2 content. With that said It shows that I am ok with there prices, but I can also see how others, specially new users could be upset with this model. I also think that one should not have to buy content they don´t like or plan to use In order to race online, but then no one Is forcing me to race online. It does hándicap some of those who would like to race online but don´t want to buy all the content to do so.

trichens and davehenrie like this.
  15. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

In some way the modding community of AC is indeed making good amount of profits by Kunos offering the Ultimate Edition. Ilja Jusopov is earning over 24k per month simply due to the popularity of AC and a big interest in his additions to the sim. VRC, URD and RSS are all making their money on AC and have a steady release of new content. AC is an unstoppable money making machine for Kunos and the profit orientated modding teams alike. And it's no suprise that URD shifted their focus more towards AC, where there clearly is more money to be earned. Same goes for sim dream development. And if you look at the amount of downloads for the most popular mods on RD you will notice that some of them have over 300k downloads. This gives you a pretty nice indication of the amount of people who are interested in AC and it doesn't matter who keeps the sim alive. The important point that you need to understand is that those two products are the last moddable modern products.

And for a new customer it doesn't matter if the sim is still developed by Kunos or the community. They see the price tag and the huge amount of high quality official and 3rd party content. And as much as I like rF2, it's obvious that we are far away from that kind of community engagement and wealth of high quality content. So do you really expect people to pull their wallet, once they read the steam reviews and see that they have to spend quite a "bit more" money to get the most out of rF2 while they get everything, really the full AC experience for less than a tenner. Please don't be a fool. And I don't expect S397 to give away a rF2 Ultimate Edition - even if that might be a very good idea to get the CS system filled - but there is basicly nothing interesting and zero discount for the packs allready available. And the Summer pack doesn't help either. Can you explain to me as a long time customer what I should buy during this sale? Even for me there is nothing of interest. And even for new users it's pretty dull. Outdated content, 1 GT3 car, no Ferraris, no Nordschleife.

bobbie424242 and lagg like this.
  16. lagg

lagg Registered

Nonsense, why?
    The cost of the development of AC for Kunos is 0€
    They can sell AC at the price that they want with benefits.
    S397 has to pay salaries, licenses, etc.
    To compare both programs at the same level has no sense

17. lagg

lagg Registered

I know that is doing the community of AC.
    I'm currently using the RSS F1 Hybrid car in a championship.
    It's clear that everyone has to buy what they want. I'm not defending S397. I simply say that compare the prices of AC and rF2, without taking in account it's costs is not fair

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  18. FAlonso

FAlonso Registered

you don't find out or you don't want to find out... in the past, a few years ago, AC in full development had its DLCs at a ridiculous price, just as ACC is now in full development. I really don't know what your point is, kunos sells his DLCs at a much lower price, that's indisputable.

Foxtrot likes this.
  19. lagg

lagg Registered

It's me or you?
    The Player base is totally different, then the solución doesn't have to be the same.

20. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

As said, I don't expect rF2 and the content to be as cheap as AC. AC broke even long time ago. That said, with how the last couple of sales have been setup you have to ask yourself if the player base wouldn't be much bigger if they wouldn't have screwed up the last couple of big sales. Those sales are a constant shot in the foot. Give a discount on the base game and add some discount for the packs that are there. Easy and simple, interesting for everyone. They would sell alot more of those if they offered the packs with 50 % discount instead of offering stuff like the summer pack that will without a question make people angry at one point or another as they realize that some of the content isn't up to date and as they can't race with the other guys on the server. With how it's right now they sell basicly nothing and get even more bad press. How hard is it to use such opportunitites?

trichens, Bill Worrel and lagg like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.