SOLVED Steam in offline mode

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by JimmyT, Jan 19, 2022.

1. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Hi all, I am having an issue when I leave a session in rF2, I get a message in the multiplayer tab saying steam is in offline mode (image 1) and the game hangs for up to several minutes then the message changes (image 2) and I can move through the menus again.
    Does anyone know
    is this is due to some setting I might have wrong?
    is it a feature that everyone gets?
    is it unique to certain hardware combinations?
    is it just me?

As always I thank you in advance for any help you can give.

PS It seems to hang relative to the length of the session, the longer the session the longer the game hangs. It also hangs when playing on line and the session changes from practice to quali etc.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  2. mixer61

mixer61 Registered

It's been like that for several months!

3. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Oh OK so it's a FEATURE, thanks @mixer61 :)

4. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

So, since the new UI came out this issue has been fixed.
    UNFORTUNATELY, since the patch for the new UI came out this issue has RETURNED. Now the game takes ages to change / close a session. :(

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Do you have anything limiting your PC's bandwidth, or otherwise checking internet traffic? The UI uses port communication internally, so if something is limiting or trying to analyse traffic it may interfere.

You may also want to clear out some folders in rF2 to make sure there's nothing old having an impact. I would suggest:
    rFactor 2\UserData\player\LocalStorage
    rFactor 2\Bin\Cache

And then probably verify rF2 files through Steam, to ensure the others are correct.

Can you attach a trace file?

6. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Thanks Lazza. Will try to capture a trace file next time I'm on line. Have recently completely removed all content and reinstalled the game so cache files should be fairly empty but will check that also.

7. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

@Lazza here is that trace file, hope you can see something worth noting in there.

Attached Files:

8. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Something else I've noticed, when I use discord (not all the time I'm playing) and I leave a session the button I use on my Fanatec CSW for push to talk no longer functions until the hang that I experience has finished. Not sure if it's discord that hangs as well or the wheel becomes locked until the hang is over?? Curiouser and curiouser. o_O

9. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Here is another trace for a longer session. Hope this sheds some light on what is going on.
    In this trace I quit the session not long before quitting the program so the major hang at the end of the session should be near the end of the file? (is that right?)
    Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

10. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

@Lazza giving this a push mate. Did the trace show anything?

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Hi mate, sorry to not respond, I couldn't really see anything but wanted to let others also take a look rather than say there was nothing wrong.

Looking through again there are 3 messages about "Detected xxxxx ms long freeze while processing event" (from 13 to 22 seconds long each) which I guess may be related, but I don't know if I can see a cause in there.

Do you run antivirus or similar (above normal windows defender)? And do you have replay saving enabled, just on the (very) off chance that's related?

It's probably also worthwhile trying without the motionsystems and sharedmemorymap plugins going, just to rule them out. Hopefully it's consistent enough that you can test that quite quickly.

12. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Another race this weekend so will be a perfect opportunity to test.
    Will give it a go without the sharedmemory and the motionsys. I have a couple of mates who run a similar rig and they don't have the issue. I also have a mate who has no motion sys who is having the issue, seems pretty random so far but will give those things a try.

Thanks for looking into it for me.

13. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

@Lazza Sorry it has taken sooo long. I have tested without both those plugins and still has the same issue.
    Have tested in on line and off line modes (multi and single) and have the same issue. Have completely deleted and re-installed rF2 (deleted all folders)
    Have done testing over differing times and have found a strange correlation. I said originally that the longer I am in a session, the longer it takes to roll over / exit. Well if I'm in for 10 minutes it's 10 seconds. If I'm in for 20 minutes it's 20 seconds, an hour and a half of practice 90 seconds to roll over. So if I go from practice straight to race (typical wait time at start of race is about 30 seconds in server) I can't get to start line for beginning of the race. You can see how this is unacceptable.
    I have a mate who races with us and he has long wait times on his system as well, however his wait times are shorter than mine and he can generally make the grid before the race starts (barely)

14. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

@Lazza . I appreciate all the help you've given with this issue and i wanted to let you know that after exhaustive testing I might have it.
    I went back into my virus scanner and found that even though I had excluded rF2.exe from scans and monitoring it was still checking. I have changed the parameters and now it no longer checks the file and when I quit a session in single player it immediately ( approx 1.5 seconds) exits to the menu. Have tested in an online environment and by leaving a session I get the same result, I will have to wait until I can get on a server that will change sessions before I can confirm complete success.
    The virus scanner was one of your suggestions and I discounted it as I knew I had already put rF2 into exclusions. Goes to show, double check EVERYTHING.
    Thanks again for your time and advice.

Lazza likes this.
  15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@JimmyT fingers crossed for you mate :D

16. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Yep after a bunch of tests it's working fine.