Just wasted another hour of my life with RF2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by petrolhead, Jun 17, 2022.

1. petrolhead

petrolhead Registered

No wonder a lot of people dont bother with RF2. I am a seasoned user and have a fair amount of experience with it.

However today I thought I would do some multiplayer racing with a friend, every server we picked either myself or friend had the wrong version of the track or car. Then I thouhght I would setup a server with the isle of man TT and BMW Judd. Constant errors re missing component - indianapolis

After an hour of getting more and more frustrated we game up and played AMS2

If I had the time I know I could have sorted it, however my point is we just wanted to race together.

One of the other problems is people setup a sever but don't bother to make sure the required track and cars are in the packages folder, again frustrating.

God knows what the answer is but with games like AMS2, Raceroom, ACC and dare I say it PC2 its no wonder new adopters of RF2 quickly give up. This is such a pitty and I feel RF2 will either always be a niche game or go the way of the dodo

2. CIP060

CIP060 Registered

I confirm that every time and a lottery but you say you are an expert so I don't understand why you can't configure a server

3. petrolhead

petrolhead Registered

I can configure a server however by the time we resorted to doing that time ran out.

However I think that not the point, my point is the rest that I said

Corti likes this.
  4. L0P3X

L0P3X Registered

That BMW Judd mod that you are trying to use has been broken for some time, since Indianapolis got updated, actually is not really an rF2 problem but an outdated mod that needs to be updated to work again (Pretty much this issue happens on all of the rastadrifter mods, as the BMW is)

5. petrolhead

petrolhead Registered

I got it sorted by downloading the BMW judd mod from Racedepartment and then unsubbing from the workshop.

However my point still stands re RF2 and new users

6. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

No, it is an rF2 problem, it should be able to cope with outdated mods - at the very least give a clear message where the problem is and what you need to do to fix it.

Bjørn, Filip and Lazza like this.
  7. L0P3X

L0P3X Registered

Literally all the mods with the same Indianapolis error come from the same guy, how is that a problem of the game rather from a problem from the modder?

Never had any issue with other old mods up to the level to make the game unplayable

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

We (experienced rF2 users) know it can all work, and some of us may even know most of what's required to fix things. Doesn't have to be this way though, and it'll never be a success when the new user experience is like this.

avenger82, Emery, lagg and 5 others like this.
  9. Rastas

Rastas Registered

Indeed is my problem,i go fix that bug in all cars,but RL work in frist place for me :)
    Sorry for all the troubles :)

Alex72, Superdevil, Hazi and 3 others like this.
  10. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

It is a rF2 problem because the game allows such nonesense to happen by design. The interesting part is that he mentioned AMS2, ACC, Raceroom and PC2 as prime examples how it should be done. I will admit designing a similar feature for a moddable open platform will obviously be more complex, but rF2 has allways been missing some form of easy ingame dedi server management or P2P system, where you select a car and track combo and invite you friends through steam or something like that. If you consider that games from 2005 had better online server managment than rF2, this speaks volumes from my perspective.

11. Filip

Filip Registered

It's not only server issue, I had this annoying Indianapolis problem in offline mode.
    And yes it's rf2 bug despite problematic mod.

12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Speaking of wasting time, go over to RD whenever there is a new DLC announced for ACC. EVERY freakin' time one or more users want items like Nords that have zero connection to the official license ACC has with SRO. Over & over we have to 'splain to them that SRO is not connected to ADAC or NLS. Yet, when the next pack of cars or tracks is announced....Nords will be back on the wine list.(yes I no I spelled it rong.)

Seven Smiles and trichens like this.
  13. Binny

Binny Guest

IMHO the sim out of the box is to hard for a new user to get their head around even older users struggle at times. Honestly S397 knows this, its more about what are they doing about it and or are they working on this. Imho things need to be done where 1 does not have to enter files to make changes it should be good enough to do with the user interface supplied in the UI to get a good/great experience, maybe a new min specs as someone pointed out its old its from 2015 I'm sure they said. Agree the server system does not force those using it to have the required info before you enter, and as you said some dont even have the files needed hopefully they will do something in the future to make sure all this info is required before you can open a server for private or public.

Deleted member 58016 likes this.
  14. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

the comment about setting up servers with the correct files is valid though, should be mandatory.

i did a few races on an aussie server a long time back, (dont recal the name) but when I would join, it would tell me i have the wrong files or missing files and let me download the corect ones, so everything rf2 needs to make this process less painful exists, jsut need to be forced.

15. petrolhead

petrolhead Registered

Of course we have MOD manager which helps with indetifying problems, but for the average user finding it, setting it up and using it, they'll have probably given up by then as just too complicated.

Don't get me wrong I think its a great sim

16. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Confucius say: “Complain not so much about the chewing gum on the bus seats and faint smell of wee - both memories fade as to nothing when taking your first steps on the pub crawl of delight that is journeys end!”;)

But yes, it would be nice to have some transparency in the game itself (rather than in mod manager) as to what file versions a server is running and what cross-dependencies are preventing updates of mismatches, for starters.

17. petrolhead

petrolhead Registered

morning Mr fox

18. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Hey man you rock! No need for apology ever. You have given us a lot of fun for free.

Now plz fix stuff!

Kidding! :D

19. I agree with that, especially the first two sentences.

Sometimes it looks like rF2 is a simulation for IT experts or at least IT experienced users only; modmgr shows (most of times) what content is missing in order to install the (online) mod, but most of the people are not familiar with modmgr and do not know about it.

The normal / average user IMHO is looking ingame to solve the problem and tries to get information how to ... but ingame the error messages are somewhat displayed fast that you need to be pretty fast in reading in order to get an idea what is missing / happening.

Even if you are experienced it is annoying from time to time - as said: if you just want to have some online racing fun may lead to an hour of analysis of upcoming errors ... I know this by heart.

I do not know how to solve this with third party content, but if you are ingame and get the error message (normally it is "mod cannot be installed" or so if you are trying to join an online race) it will help much to have the full error output in the messag itself and to acknowledge it in order to proceed.

Just one step forward IMHO.

AMS2, PC or PC2 as well as ACC are not really comparable IMHO as they are not that open to mods like rF2 (basically it is not foreseen AFAIK), but it could be compared to AC - and if it comes to the available content manager of AC then AC is lightyears ahead.

trichens and Binny like this.
  20. Binny

Binny Guest

Agree! It could be compared to AC better than anything and with a new AC2 coming rf2 "MIGHT" be in trouble. But i have no idea, as have not been reading anything about the new AC coming out. I believe if RF2 had a lot of bug fixes fixed, optimization update & a CS system more inline with iracing to compete with sims that have a CS, 2023 would boom for rf2/ S397. I say iracing CS as we know its the beast/best out there and it cannot be that hard to follow and implement, if it does pls explain how.

trichens likes this.