Mirror-toggle fail in VR - mod-bug or sim-bug/feature?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by MileSeven, Jun 15, 2022.

1. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

We’re running a recently released vehicle mod online for fun racing and one of our members (who does not use VR) noticed that their FPS increased appreciably if the in-car (not virtual) mirrors were toggled off. Further investigation showed that the mod is using unusually large MIRROR.BMP files and this appears to be dragging performance down…

Anyway, I run exclusively in VR and found that it is not possible to toggle the in-car side mirrors off - the virtuals cycle correctly but nothing more than a flicker on one key-press occurs with the in-car ones.

Is this a mod-bug (poor/incorrect implementation) or a sim-bug/feature?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I can't speak for VR, but turning the car mirrors off disables all mirrors (you can't have virtual only). Turning mirrors off completely has always helped performance to some extent, because the game stops drawing the view required to render them.

MileSeven likes this.
  3. redapg

redapg Registered

As @Lazza has said already, normally the virtual Mirrors and the modded Mirrors get toggled together.
    But it may be a Problem in the Mod.
    Is it a Mod where you have Access to the Meshes or a DLC with encrypted gmt mas File?
    If the gmt are accessible, i can check that, if you send me a Link to download the Mod.

4. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Chris - thanks - it’s the Alfa155 by SimDrivers.EU

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2811419416

5. redapg

redapg Registered

You are welcome Myles.
    I have checked it and it works as it has to (or better: as it always did. ;))
    You can switch all Mirrors off, when you hit the Number 3 (default) Key (above of the W E Keys) several Times.
    Or did i misunderstood something?
    If the Problem with lower FPS is caused by the too big Mirror Texture, you can create an Update with a smaller one and integrate that into the Server rfmod, that the Clients get it automatically.
    BTW also no VR here.

I forgot: I suspect that it is an VR related Problem as it seems

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
    MileSeven likes this.
  6. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

I'm that person in MileSeven's league that has reported a lot lower FPS with Mirrors on with this car. Just to correct MileSeven, it's with ANY of the mirrors turned on I get the poor FPS.
    I admit my PC is now many generations old the reason I asked the question 'Is it the same for everyone with this car?'
    On other car mods by other people the MIRROR.BMP file is on average 1 Meg in size, but on this car it's 11 Meg in size with a whopping resolution of 7168x512. I know people have moaned about the res of rF2's mirrors in other threads over the years but this size is extreme big.

Actually I did try this last week, I made an update with a 1 Meg Mirror file. It did significantly fix the performance problem back to normal levels. Did not go as far as your 2nd step of integrate it into the Server rfmod, but unfortunately I have found with car updates, if a client has a update to a car mod installed it stops them from entering other servers that are running the standard car mod. You get an error that says 'Unable to install server mod, most likely cause is missing content'. In ModManger it shows "Damaged mod" on all server mods that point to the original version of car when update is installed.
    Capture.PNG
    I've stopped using updates long ago for all these problems online.

I can not answer MileSeven's problem of can not turn off mirrors fully in VR as I also do not have VR.

redapg likes this.
  7. redapg

redapg Registered

Yes, that indeed is a Problem.
    But sometimes you have no other Chance, than to use Updates.
    I hope that this will be "fixed" one Day.
    I of course don't know the Games Code, but i think that there must be a Way to prgram it in a Way, that this Problem can be avoided, especially because the Updates are in own Subfolders, what normally should be enough, to let the Game Code handle them separately, even if you have more than one installed, for the same Component.
    I mean to remember ISI saying, that this new Packaging System was made to avoid the rF1 Mismatches, when you wanted to join a Server. Seems as if that Target was missed.

DJCruicky and lagg like this.
  8. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Must be a VR-specific issue. I’ll try to test a variety of other vehicles and post a bug report if it is consistent.

I suggest, @DJCruicky, we can only realistically try to contact the content creator regarding the mirror texture and hope that they update the mod. Did you check the other two SimDrivers.EU cars for the same issue by the way?