Cars and some questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MikeV710, Mar 29, 2022.

1. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Thanks a lot Dave, really appreciate It. It´s always nice to learn new stuff. I´ll put this Into practice tonight. It´s freaking hot here were I live and I rather race/drive when It gets dark, at least for the health of my PC and mine :D

I just bough the URD Moyoda GR010 today, so your guidance could help me there too If needed. I seem to have the 24h Lemans hype, watching the short YT videos as they post them.

Again, many thanks.

2. redapg

redapg Registered

Don't you know my S397 no Chicane Version? ;)

atomed and davehenrie like this.
  3. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Hi Mike.
    In my view the GTE cars (and their current tyre model) are excellent. So go enjoy them. Be careful as some advice comes as a regurgitation of rumours and click bait videos rather than from significant personal experience.
    To the question of what car is good for a beginner. If you mean a sim racing beginner-
    In my view a slower and less powerful car with good balance gives you more time in every phase of the corner to refine your skills. Once you have them down pat then progress to faster cars.
    The MX5 (spec miata) third party mod is one such car.
    Many sessions were spent using real world data and seat of the pants feel to make it a high fidelity mod.
    When you move to single seaters the Tatuus cars offer good feel.
    The Formula Pro is great to race but not a learner car-very tricky.
    As suggested above, turn off all assists, they deaden skills.
    Enjoy yourself and get into some online racing, that's the best part.

Ricardo Diz and atomed like this.
  4. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Hi David, nice to meet you.

Thank you for your guidance and recommendations. I will have a go at the MX5 you mentioned, actually It´s recommended by real world driving teachers too. Although I am In the mist of learning all I can with all the cars I have right now, I am using the BMW M2 CS as my trainer aswell. It´s quite balanced, not that powerful, and doesn't have much set-up options to get overwhelmed IMO.

I am slowly progressing, but yes aim goal Is to enjoy online racing when I feel more confident that I am not going to ruine anyone´s race :D

Again, thanks David. Very kind of you.

David O'Reilly and lagg like this.
  5. David O'Reilly

Me practicing what I preach

redapg, pkelly and MikeV710 like this.
  6. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

And here I am saying that the MX5 Is actually recommended by race car driving teachers :D

I didn´t know you actually race In RL. Great footage, thank you.

It´s a car I would buy now, knowing what I know at present.

As a side note...

Mazda comes from "Lord of Wisdom" (Ahura Mazda) In the Zoroastrianism religion, Ahura Mazda Is the creator deity of this religion. First monotheistic religion In history, and one of the oldest. It Is believed that the founder of Mazda Is of Zoroastrian believes, thus the name /branding. I have spent some time studying this religion.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahura_Mazda

Thrustmasters new T248 wheel base looks like they were Inspired by the original MX5 wheel.
    https://www.thrustmaster.com/en-us/products/t248/

-

Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
    David O'Reilly and davehenrie like this.
  7. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Pretty ballsy lifting off throttle during the corner entry phase at high speed.. but I guess you can anticipate the oversteer and know that you're capable of catching it.

Seems quite similar to the handling of the sim version. Many a sim racer would countersteer a number of seconds too late, spin out and blame fake physics!

MikeV710 likes this.
  8. David O'Reilly

It depends a bit which corner, in the faster corners Copse, Stowe, Abbey, Village the car seems to behave a little differently.
    Copse was probably the tricky one as you have to push hardest there to gain exit speed. I use trail braking there to get the nose in. Rear tyres were also going off a little.
    I hope to be able to include throttle and brake traces next time.

The MX5 modded by Slow Motion is IMO a good representation
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/mazda-mx-5-specmiata-1-05.69804/
    I got involved and Marco managed to dial out some unrealistic mid corner behaviour. It's now very nice mid corner.