Why is the Skip Barber so difficult if it's supposed to be a noob car?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by momoracer, Jan 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

In general, if the problem is lift-off oversteer, you'll need to increase a lot the differential coast and rear toe-in, but I don't know if you can adjust the coast in this car.

With this changes I guarantee you'll notice some difference on car behavior in rFactor2, in iRacing I'm not so sure, some cars in iRacing the setup is almost useless, they do almost no difference.

Probably you'll need to be smoother on brake pedal release too.

2. Johnny Speed

Johnny Speed Registered

@avenger82

There are a couple of nice set-ups posted in this thread. Check post #55.

avenger82 likes this.
  3. shiet

shiet Registered

We can't adjust the differential in this car, in fact not much can be changed. :D
    I lowered the camber (so closer to 0), the rear ARB and the drive height. The ARB adjustment is probably not even necessary.
    But I'm not a setup guru. :D it's just a little bit better.

avenger82 likes this.
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think you're watching the speed of the car in the video instead of how it's being driven. Plus that video above has very wide FOV which reduces the apparent yaw.

On-throttle through (not just out of) every corner, and still catching the rear multiple times. Go through a corner off-throttle and you won't make it, or at least with any sort of speed out the other side.

It's what the car is intended to do. That's what this whole thread is about.

5. Richard Busch

Richard Busch Member

I might be mistaken, but I think the rF2 Skippy is modeled on an older version of the Skip Barber car. iRacings version is a newer version. As I said, I might be totally wrong on this though.

6. shiet

shiet Registered

Yes. I linked the video because of the steering inputs.
    But we still can't see his legs. That's equally important.

pkelly likes this.
  7. Johnny Speed

Johnny Speed Registered

Really? You need video of the guys feet instead of learning how to drive the car yourself? Really?...

8. green serpent

green serpent Registered

It really is not that difficult to drive. Stop driving way over the limit, stop making jerky inputs, stop suddenly lifting off the throttle and downchanging at the wrong times. Basically, stop driving like a video game, and start driving how you would in real life - actually feel what the car is doing and understand that it is abiding by the laws of physics - YOU are the problem, not the car.

By no means am I saying that I can drive it at the limit at all times, but controlling it smoothly for lap after lap is pretty easy (with a good amount of practise). Don't race it before you can properly control it.

9. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I think it's just taking the point, what's more, it seems like a great vehicle to drive, you just have to play with the inertia of the weights of the car and the accelerator, the best of rfactor in driving, like: Formula Pro, Indy , usf2000, Porsche Cup and BMW M4 CASS-1 and of course Skip Barber:);)

10. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

bad ass car really need some care from Studio 397
    also the Formula 2 from 2012 is so fun to drive
    try it at Donington and you ll be pleased

11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I think every car at Donnington will be pleasing. Also every car at Donnington is going to be even less noob friendly.

Don't let skip-barber bully you, you must take it by its horns. Whachu gona du if Mercedes C9 comes at u, or AC Shelby Cobra ?

pkelly likes this.
  12. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Ok, but again the problem is in iRacing’s version you can get away with most if not all of the above “mistakes”. So you can basically drive it like it’s a video game - as you put it. One thing to note is that rf2 simulates 2013 version and iRacing models newer version with sequential gearbox, but I doubt that’s the reason iRacing version is so forgiving in comparison.
    I guess that real Skip Barber is somewhere in the middle between rf2 and iRacing when it comes to difficulty.

Another thing I found is that rf2 version has much more light FFB (until you hit something of course). I use about 50 % FFB multi on my SC2 with 25Nm max force in TD. It’s like it has power steering, which I doubt real Skippy had.

13. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Since when iRacing became "the forgiving" simulator ? Is it possible for skippy to be more forgivable than in rF2 ? I haven't driven it in a while, but when I did I nearly fell asleep. I prefer Formula Vee from Reiza pack, love it.... also notorious noobs tears maker.

Mark Lloyd and pkelly like this.
  14. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

A lot of changes happened in iRacing’s NTM, that made the sim more forgiving. It can be still difficult to drive on the limit, because depending on a car, when it starts to overseer, it’s often impossible to catch. Yet Skippy and especially F Vee is way easier to drive in iRacing.

15. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Perhaps they decided to use them as warm-up/get-used-to-sim cars, rather than school of driving techniques cars. And then they also have Miata, which I'd put in same category. All of them might be realistic taking in accout different possible set-ups IRL, different tires, different suspension components.... fVee especially is different in every country, Brazilians play it hard mode.

16. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I remember a certain Youtuber who mostly uses iRacing and AMS/AMS2 reviewing the iRacing version of the Skippy and one critique from him was that he felt the Skippy in iRacing to be too forgiving compared to the rF2 version and not having the same fidelity. How much of this is realistic or not is obviously subjective. That said, I think Tim Weathley drove the Skippy if I am not completely wrong so the feedback on the sim car should be pretty accurate if you have one of your devs driving the car. Also don't forget that ISI shipped their cars with pretty sharp setups that allways try to kill you, something that most newbies aren't used to in racing sims these days. With a few setup tweaks the Skippy is pretty enjoyable to race. I think alot of people drive cars with TC or ABS and downforce on a regular base and as soon as they drive something that simply relies on weight transfere and no downforce it becomes a big challenge.

avenger82 and mesfigas like this.
  17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Is the actual torque different between the games, or could it be your settings making the difference?

If they are different, which is more realistic?

18. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Yes. For instance SAT force is much higher in iRacing. For me iRacing’s Skippy FFB is more realistic, because as I said in rf2 its normally very light. But Ive never driven real Skip Barber. Also AC Skippy is also much easier to handle, even more than in iRacing, but of course it’s a third party mod.

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I assume you mean the FFB ramps up more quickly in iRacing at low slip angles? Is the overall sustained cornering torque (vehicle, via telemetry) similar or also different?

20. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

The overall resistance/friction force when turning my wheel is much higher in iRacing. It applies to low and high speeds.
    I’m not sure about sustained cornering torque. Skippy doesn’t produce much downforce. I haven’t checked telemetry.