I am going into neutral when breaking :o ( without downshift)

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by André Felipe, Jun 12, 2022.

1. André Felipe

André Felipe Registered

2. André Felipe

André Felipe Registered

Downshift *

3. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Only thing I can think of is that you mapped neutral to your brake pedal.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

If you are using paddles, clear all the individual gear assignments EXCEPT neutral. Assign neutral to a key that you don't use. Now use the paddles to downshift, it will stop at 1st gear. To achieve neutral, pull both paddles simultaneously. (it will become 2nd nature in a short time) Reverse can only be engaged with this method by first grabbing neutral and THEN downshifting one click to reverse.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
  5. redapg

redapg Registered

In the Settings -> Gameplay -> Difficulty, check if you have set Autoreverse to "On".
    If yes, set it to Off.

André Felipe and davehenrie like this.
  6. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

André Felipe likes this.
  7. André Felipe

André Felipe Registered

8. André Felipe

André Felipe Registered

THANK YOU I WILL TRY IT OUT :D

redapg likes this.
  9. Leynad

Leynad Registered

Same problem here and happens especially often with the FT-60. Neutral is set to a button on my button-box, so impossible to engage accidentally and autoreverse is off. So it doesn't fix it, but is for sure a game-breaking bug.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Have you disabled the both-paddle-neutral option, to rule out accidentally doing that?

I really feel like a bug in this area would have a LOT more reports.

davehenrie likes this.
  11. redapg

redapg Registered

@André Felipe @Leynad I tried to reproduce it, but couldn't.
    Just for a Test, could you, before you start the Game, rename the Folder
    ..\rFactor 2\UserData
    into
    ..\rFactor 2\UserData_Backup
    for Example, then start the Game and set only the "Buttons" for Acceleration, steer left and right and Brakes and in the Difficulty, set everything to "Off", except of auto Clutch and then drive.
    Does the Problem still persists?

12. Leynad

Leynad Registered

Where is the 2nd option? Can't find any...

Just did the same combination again today and can't reproduce it either even on Wednesday it persisted a rF2-restart. Is auto-clutch required to prevent issues like that? Invulnerability was on, so a clutch-damage can be ruled out. IMO it's a joke you need to map 'neutral' to prevent going into it accidentally in the first place since real racecars doesn't do this. That's the reason why it often takes ages for the drivers to get into reverse after a spin.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

In the controller.json (or your profile you load) it's called "Alternate Neutral Activation".

There's no clutch damage in rF2.

Real racecars stop you going into Neutral accidentally, but they have a N button. If you take out the N button you then can't get into Neutral except by shifting down. If a player doesn't map (have) an N button, they can shift into Neutral. This is a game.

Getting into reverse is mostly about reverse, though it depends on the car.

14. Leynad

Leynad Registered

Happened again (twice) in the Ferrari GT3 and I notice that the "N" appears between gear-shifts for a split of a second. This is certainly BS with the Ferrari, since a DCT switch gears directly. I guess it happens when I downshift twice "too" quickly that the 2nd shift is during the 'N'-phase. How can I define a minimum shift time to prevent double-shifts like in other titles? I also did a fresh rF2-reinstall and I'm even using a different base and wheel than in June, so it's obviously an rF2-thing that should get fixed.
    PS: Found the solution and IMO 0 ms shouldn't be the default with this strange shift-behavior.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
  15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That setting is now in the UI.

It's probably true that many games will have a similar setting somewhere above 0, so any minor controller issues are simply hidden. 2 minute fix!

16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

If you ONLY have Neutral assigned and no individual gears, you can use the upshift/downshift paddles to change gears without using neutral. Then pulling both paddles at once will move you into neutral, from there, you can reach reverse by downshifting one more time. This prevents mad fast downshift where you end up bypassing 1st and either reach neutral or reverse.

17. Leynad

Leynad Registered

I have no problem with double-shifts and if I downshift fast, I want a new gear for every click. I have a problem that rF2 is shifting for example from 3rd gear directly into reverse occasionally because it goes into neutral between every gear and if I shift in this N-gap, it goes into reverse no matter what gear I am. Absolute ridiculous behavior, especially nonsense with a DCT, but it certainly should never trigger reverse while moving forward with significant pace. If I downshift quicker than what the transmission can handle, it should just ignore the input. The delay is just like a band-aid to prevent this silly bug to appear in the hope it doesn't happen again.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
  18. Bernat

Bernat Registered

This has never happened to me and by your description of the issue it should had happened frequently.

Might there be something more to it? Like spurious double paddle presses that happen simultaneously in both paddles?

19. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

are you reacting to the transmission protection scheme that was enabled in the last quarterly update? It should only pause your shifting when you are descending through the gearbox too quickly(or what it calculates is too quickly) But I can now understand your issue. They may have to re-examine the methodology used to implement this transmission protection while we may have to alter our driving to avoid such an issue.
    @Bernat I would be surprised if both paddles threw spurious clicks at the same time.

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It seems really unlikely this is what's happening (yes, it'll show Neutral between gears - but having it then shift into Reverse with another downshift should have happened to many people in the past - not all cars shift quickly). Did you try disabling the alternate neutral activation as I described earlier, to rule it out? You haven't said.

@davehenrie have you been able to reproduce this?