Damage Model and Material Issue

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Daveybird, Jun 5, 2022.

1. Daveybird

Daveybird Registered

Hey guys. I've been trying out more rFactor 2 stuff, and it's been coming along pretty nicely. But there is one blaring issue that has been bugging the heck out of me for the past several months.

Whenever I turn damage on for my cars, and they make contact, their bodies flicker. I went into 3DSimEd and made sure all the faces and materials weren't double-sided. I made sure they were all unchecked, and chose backface culling in the 3DSimEd Viewport so I could only see the actual faces, instead of double-sided like 3DSimEd has by default, regardless of what they are for the model.

It seems like the material/face settings are being overridden, as they go double-sided anyway when hit. Even when the race is restarted, the undamaged car flickers with its inner and outer textures. The parts that break off (spoiler, nosepiece, etc) never do this, and I believe I even renamed the material something random and different, and it quit doing that, but alas, no paintable cars of course.

Below are some screenshots of the glitch in action (please let me know if a video would help):

Pics of my car before damage:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ...And after:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

During the race, the car body will flicker between the outer and inner textures, and it's quite annoying and obviously unrealistic.

The solid colors are for the undersides, and the painted/sponsored parts are for the outside/external.

More info on what I did and checked:

Materials:

WCCARBODY is not Double-Sided

WCCARBODY has a bump and specular map

I tried car paint + damage + rain, car paint + damage + rain HACK, and even the old car paint + damage
    all to no avail.

I even copy-pasted the Skippy's default WCCARBODY material and it still did this.

Mesh:

Clicked on Backface Culling on 3DSimEd and the faces pointed where they were supposed to.

Exported as KN5, imported those individually as objects (primitives/add objects, selected them one by one), re-exported them as rF2 objects

Smoothed normals

Made sure every Mesh in this mod shared the same WCCARBODY material and the GEN files only pointed to them.

Made a dummy material with a random name, normals stopped flickering when hit, but of course, cars are unpaintable this way.

GEN:

Made sure they were only referenced once in the in-race GEN (the only one that has issues because the showroom can't be damaged!)

Checked my bracketing

Tested the objects as a standalone gmt instead of an upgrade option

All this and it still flickers!!

If you need me to send more (videos, 3DSimEd/GEN/SCN/Upgrades screenshots), please let me know.

I hope to hear back from someone. Can anyone here please help me out? It would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. redapg

redapg Registered

@Daveybird I can take a look at it if you send me the whole ..\ModDev\Vehicles Folder of the Mod, like you use it.
    But if i shall do it, please send it to me by a private Conversation and don't send it to someone else too, because i don't want to start a Competition with it. ;)
    And if I don't get it, you can always send it to someone else then.

3. svictor

svictor Registered

Flickering is probably due to some material used same name that the WCCARBODY material uses.
    For example, once I had worked a car mod that has "windshield" section using "WCCARBODY" name, and whenever the car crashes, the "windshield" banner would flicker like crazy. Try isolate each material and see if there are some materials that use wrong name.

Daveybird likes this.
  4. Daveybird

Daveybird Registered

I wonder if it's anything by default, like the Pace Car or something loaded first?

5. Dirtnz

Dirtnz Registered

its because your internal faces and external faces are too close to each other and or using the same vertices with the same texture applied, so although the material settings are not double sided and 3d mesh is set too backface cull etc if both sides are using the same sets of verts front/back it will do this every time as it appears the game gets confused between which side is which after an impact.

Had it plenty of times with mods that used to be in rf1 when converted over have this exact issue and found the best solution was to open the model in 3d max, remove the internal panels, highlight the external panels then create a shell from them internally at 0.001 fixed it every time without fail.

SharD, DJCruicky and Daveybird like this.
  6. Daveybird

Daveybird Registered

Thanks, I always feared it was this. a few weeks ago, I made a copy of the inner body that was downascaled so it would *almost* be unnoticeable. I just needed confirmation. ;)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
  7. Dirtnz

Dirtnz Registered

No worries man and good luck with the mod it's good to see someone else trying their hand at dirt content for rf2 ;)

Daveybird likes this.
  8. Daveybird

Daveybird Registered

Yeah, very few of us Dirt Oval Sim drivers in America haven't totally defected to iRacing, lol.

Dirtnz likes this.
  9. Dirtnz

Dirtnz Registered

We've been running dirt based content in rf2 for a number of years now so it's totally possible albeit a lot of work, in fact we've just finished our Supersaloon eseries which is the closest thing to latemodels we have here in NZ, below is the full nights stream replay but if you fast forward through to about the 1 hour 11 mark the last 10-15 laps of our feature highlight it can be achieved.

DJCruicky and Daveybird like this.
  10. Daveybird

Daveybird Registered

Yeah, I've been aware that you're doing it down there, glad to see it. Tbh, you guys are part of why I never give up on it nowadays.