Wtf happened?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by ben22, May 31, 2022.

1. ben22

ben22 Registered

I last played the orignal rfactor years ago, it was brilliant, even setting up a server was easy.
    the last month i bought a pc to get back into sim racing and try rfactor 2.

what the hell happened? how is it so bad?
    ok so installing mods is simplified, thats all good, but trying to host my own server? jesus fucking christ.
    The only reason i even started looking into the dedi server route is because the public lobbies are just broken, none of them really work and just throw up various errors which don't piss off even after you've cancelled and backed out so you basically HAVE to be in some sort of league to use RF2 because otherwise it's a shit show.

So i've tried the dedi server multiple times now, and followed the various outdated guides step by step and it's still an absolute honking piece of shit. the mod manager doesn't install the mods, or randomly decides which one it wants to install and it seems to hate paid dlc, and yes all the paths are correct ( and the versions of the paid dlc etc )because i've checked it all around 50 times
    even when mod manger says a track is installed, like lemans ( v2.51) and i go through package manager and it says its all installed ok blah blah, ok cool, fire up the dedi server and both vehicle and track filters are just blank.
    i've done so much googling and youtube shit im at the end with it, any info i do find is either outdated or obsolete.

RF1 worked so well back in the day, its like nothing has progressed in over 10 years or whatever it's been since i last used it.

there's a high chance i'm being a retard and probably missed something, but even so what a pain in the arse just to run a server.

peace.

oh awaiting moderation. this will never see the light of day then haha. nevermind.

DJCruicky likes this.
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

First posts usually are. Very little censoring happens here.

Yep, that's the experience. Sounds like most of your troubles are normal ones and you could work through them (with help if needed) if you have the patience.

3. ben22

ben22 Registered

Ha, that's surprising actually but good on them for letting me post my rant. Fair play.

I know I'm throwing my toys out the pram, it's just I've spent hours and hours fixing stuff rather than doing laps. I know what potential rf2 has and when it works, it's the best, but Jesus does it make you work for it. I will persevere I know I will I just needed to vent. Its like as soon as I get to the mod/package manager it all goes to shit, despite following the guides over and over.

davehenrie likes this.
  4. trichens

trichens Registered

There are a couple of good YouTube guides.
    I used the one by Davy Jones

It worked for me OK.

Paulfield likes this.
  5. Goanna

Goanna Registered

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

You didn't do the server unlock for the paid DLC which is explained in this guide
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/how-to-hosting-with-steamcmd-and-paid-content.57209/

7. lagg

lagg Registered

In the Hosting Help subforum there are a couple of sticky threads with the info that you need to create a server

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022