AI behaviour

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fred Scratchet, May 26, 2022.

1. Fred Scratchet

Fred Scratchet Registered

I've been working on car setup and I'm still racing offline until I'm a little more proficient. I know AI can be strange to race against but I found they all went off like rockets and left me in their dust. Even at full speed on the old Monza circuit they went past like I was standing still. So I turned them down to 50% and they all crawled round at 20mph. Still I now had something to work with and turned them back up to 65%. Now they rocketed down the straights and went round the turns at 20mph. Can I get them to do a reasonable speed all around the circuit or am I asking too much? I tried Spark f3 and also the Radical SR3 just for something different.

2. Filip

Filip Registered

Can you keep up with them at straights? Do you get the same max speed as AI?
    Check taht first to eliminate possible controller issue.

3. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

my guess is lowering to 50% or 65% could probably make them behave strange? How about setting AI to 80% or more and set AI limiter to 20% and aggression to 65%.

I think you should stick to one car you feel comfortable with and improve your speed from that.

4. Fred Scratchet

Yes top speed is similar, about mid 140's in the Radical. I'll stay with that car for AI set up because it's much more stable out of the box whereas the Spark takes a lot more effort to set up properly.
    I have limiter set to about 12 now, I think default is about 5? So yes I can tweak that more. I have aggression turned down because they were punting me off the track. I'll turn it back up and increase ai speed to about 75 and see where that goes.

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Where are the AI leaving you in the dust? From a standing start? From the exit of a turn?

6. Fred Scratchet

Yes standing start but then they bog down presumably because I have the settings too low. I can pass in the turns but not on the straight they go straight up to top speed but I can keep up with them. I can also out brake into the turns provided they are not bunched up.

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

ok, standing start is helpful. First hint, make sure the message center is on and it displays the race information. (the screen which says how much time is left in the race) You can use that to assist your start as the timer will begin counting down exactly when the race starts.
    Now about the AI strength %. Only adjust that to match your over all lap time. If 1:20 is a good average of your lap times(note: not your absolute best time) then set the AI % so they can complete laps in a close approximation of your average lap time.
    Next question. Do you have a clutch pedal or are you using auto clutch? You should be able to rev the engine prior to starting so that you don't waste time letting the revs climb while also pushing the car ahead.
    (edit:)
    I just took the Radical out with zero setup changes and tried a few restarts, I do have 3 pedals. First attempt, I lost 3 places & then several more as I was jostled by the pack. 2nd attempt, with the throttle holding at about 80% when the lights went off and I was BARELY able to maintain my starting spot. So PRACTICE can be invaluable. Next, there are setup changes that can assist with acceleration, unfortunately I'm not a setup guy, but moving the weight balance rearward, softening the rear suspension, hopefully others can provide more detail. Even perhaps changing the pattern of the clutch engagement might allow tiny improvements in standing starts.

Last edited: May 26, 2022
  8. Fred Scratchet

Thanks for the help so far. I didn't know about the message centre so been trying to second guess the start.
    Yes I have a clutch pedal but only just upgraded to a Thrustmaster T300 from a Logitech Driving Force Pro with a two pedal set up so it's still a bit of a novelty at the moment. I had the revs up but dumped the clutch too quick, I have to get used to the bite point.

davehenrie likes this.